Author Topic: suggestions on starter rods  (Read 713 times)

Offline ojibwa6

• IceShanty Rookie
suggestions on starter rods
« on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:24 PM »
I've got first time ice fisherman coming up to fish. I told them to start out with cheap equipment since it may be only a few times ice fishing. My equipment is Thorne Bros and St Croix but I sad not to spend that kind of money until they know how much ice fishing they will do. I appreciate any suggestions on rods and reals for starters. I've read good things on HT blue. It will be mostly pan fishing.

Offline JayWirth

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: suggestions on starter rods
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:31 PM »
I have a couple Frabill & Berkley rods that both have combos (rod & Reel) $40 or less.  You should be able to find something to start with that will actually last many many years
Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people. Arlo Guthrie

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:32 PM »
HT blue is definitely a good starter. They make a good noodle rod for anyone of any skill level. I like the scheels combos personally. For starters, really any rod with a  spring bobber would work just fine. I'd imagine you didn't start with TB and St. Croix rods, maybe you have something that would be a nice hand-me-down for him?
Da Pack!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:34 PM »
Ht accucast 106 and a beaver dam glass noodle would be a decent combo at like $40. Ice blue would probably cost half that if really trying to save money

Offline LSHD69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:40 PM »
HT Blue or Cysco UL or Beaver Dam Glass Noodle are great starter rods. Pair it with an HT Tightline Fly reel. You can find the reels on sale for $15.00. HT website has them on sale for 14.99 now.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Newbie on the ice? Not sure the bug will bite? Seeking panfish? Can't go wrong with a palm rod or even a Schooley. Both can be very productive tools, simple and a low cost starter

set-up. For a conventional set-up the Ugly Stik GX2 is a low cost and bulletproof option. No useful advice on cheap reels however.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline ojibwa6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:50 PM »
I don't know if it is me but I hate spring bobbers, seem to always get the line tangled up. That's why I don't care much for my SC rods. I will check out everyone's suggestions and appreciate it

Offline ojibwa6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Don't really need super cheap just a fairly decent price for someone who hasn't ice fished before

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:15 PM »
find a HT blue to start. build your collection of jigging rods off that. you can  find a length and action to your need.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:29 PM »
I don't enjoy my time in walmart very much but I have to admit there ice combo selection was non too shabby. They carry the titanium tipped and noodle Beaver dam. They have a line called PolarFire that is a fancy line of ht. Pretty sweet rods with the rubber/cork handles. I even saw celcius rods that looked pretty respectable, probably would be Leary of the reels on a lot of the combos offered at Walmart but I saw a lot of potential in the rods themselves.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:31 PM »
find a HT blue to start. build your collection of jigging rods off that. you can  find a length and action to your need.

X2 on HT Ice Blues ...and the Schooley Arctic Blues. Both good rods for under $20
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Don't really need super cheap just a fairly decent price for someone who hasn't ice fished before

The Fenwick Elite Techs and Aetos Ice rods are nearly all marked down 20%-25% off right now on Amazon.  They're solid, good performing rods.  Not too cheap, not too pricey.  They're rods you don't toss in the trash, but keep in the arsenal even after you upgrade.  Very serviceable rods.  When I have guests, those are the rods of mine that they fish with.  A good quality rod, but if one accidentally got snapped off, stepped on or lost down the hole, it wouldn't kill me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LDYJLCK/ref=twister_B07GXP9MWH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Fenwick-AICE30MHXFS-30-Inch-X-Fast-Spinning/dp/B00FI2TW8Q/ref=sr_1_18

Watch the 'Best Deals' thread everyday or  hit the 'Notify' button at the top of the thread, so you don't miss any deals that might show up.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:51 PM »
Another vote Ht ice blues .many lengths and actions to choose from.cheap and durable.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Yep, the HT ice blues are awesome for the price.  I still use them once in a while even though I have much more expensive rods.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2018, 03:47 PM »
Yup hard to beat the HT blues for the price.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:07 PM »
I still use ht ice blues and eagle claw in lines. Pretty cheap set up. Works great.
!!!FISH ON!!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Depending on what kind of fish they may be targeting, I started with ugly stick combos, the light and medium rods worked well with lipless cranks and spoons for perch, trout, bass and pickerel. I don’t fish with little jigs since there’s not a huge sunfish population compared to perch.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Here's the thing about starting out.  Are these the type of people who only try once or the type who are committed to accomplishment?  That changes a lot.  Cuz starting out with low end equipment can put a person off from the get go.

There's lots of decent equipment that's not too expensive and performs well.

St Croix Premier ice rods were between $10-20 for a long time.  Then they got some reel seats and the price went up but still was one of the best value for performance.  The Mojo Ice is basically same rod performance but premium price tag.

13 Fishing started with some outrageous premium rods in the $100.  Glad that they quickly revamped into various lower end to mid range performance rods.  I ignored their rods for years, but decided to give them a try.  Some rods are awesome, some are just horribly wrong in terms of general ice fishing techniques.  Still gotta give them credit for going forward with many changes and their willingness to try.

HT is one of the primary driving force for ice fishing products.  Yes they're cheap.  Some cheap stuff works.  Some are complete junk. 

I admit I started with Ugly Stick rods after the peg rod. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2018, 06:12 AM »
Like the HT ice blues, but the Beaver Dam glass noodle rod has better components, larger wire guides, hook keeper, and a cork reel seat handle.
https://www.fishusa.com/product/Beaver-Dam-Custom-Glass-Noodle-Ice-Spinning-Rod

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.