The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: otter hideout shanty  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
otter hideout shanty
« on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:19 AM »
wheres the best price on a otter hideout shanty in southwest Michigan? what sporting goods stores in southwest Michigan carry them? reviews? As always thanks in advance, good fishing

Offline Pauly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: otter hideout shanty
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2018, 08:49 AM »
Otter will be at D&R for the ice fishing show.
https://www.facebook.com/events/2791328560893365/?ti=cl
I purchased a shanty 2 years ago at the show, saved over 20% from the lowest price I had seen on the internet.

As a bonus, since the rep was there he showed me some tricks for setting it up and summer storage.
"Insert witty comment here"

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2018, 10:06 AM »
Got my eskimo inferno 1 at D&R two years ago. Agreed great price, and I did the research.  If they have the shack you want you will be hard pressed to beat the price anywhere at that moment. 
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Thank you both for the replies, I had called D&R and was told they don't sell Otters, I do plan to go to their
show as I have in the past. You can find some good deals there, I was able to find the shanty I wanted and expect to pick it up soon. Has anyone had any experience with the hideouts or putting them together?
I appreciate the feedback, thank you.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2018, 10:51 AM »
I have a hideout and it is great to fish out of.....As far as Assembly it was easier than my Otter Cabin for sure...I don't remember any issues.....It works great for running and gunning with a Smitty sled..

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:27 AM »
Thank you all for the informative replies, great group of people on here, have a good Thanksgiving and good fishing.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:55 AM »
I really like mine the few times I got to use it last season. Coming from an uninsulated Frabill Recon, the Hideout is a lot nicer. I remember there were a lot of deals early last year, I missed out on all of them, but found one late in the season at Marine General for what looks like $100 less than they have it listed for now.

Nothing too memorable about the assembly, it does take a bunch of self tapping screws on the canvass support tubes. If you are doing the hyfax runners, do it before you assemble anything to the sled, it's a lot easier.

One thing I did was at the back of the shelter, there is a long plastic "clip" that is meant to attach the canvass to the sled. The instructions call for it to be screwed to the sled but it held on pretty tightly just pushed on, so I left it unscrewed. Held up fine the first time I went out, and it was windy enough that day that I had to get out the wind bars. So now, I can easily take off the canvass for storage in a tote, and I'm not putting holes in the canvass every time I do, because you know those holes will never line right up again 100%.

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2018, 11:23 PM »
That's a good idea about not screwing it down if you don't have to and storing it in a tote also would help with keeping the mice out of it. I saw a video saying to put a couple dryer sheets in the cover and tub to keep them out but I'm not sure if that would work or not, thanks for sharing everyone.

Offline Smelt 63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Save sume for seed
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:05 AM »
That's a good idea about not screwing it down if you don't have to and storing it in a tote also would help with keeping the mice out of it. I saw a video saying to put a couple dryer sheets in the cover and tub to keep them out but I'm not sure if that would work or not, thanks for sharing everyone.
               Yes they work we put them in are camper fore the winter. they are cheap and don't be afraid to put extra sheets in it will smell good.

Offline Pauly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2018, 03:53 AM »
Their events page lists Otter under sleds and shelters. ???
"Insert witty comment here"

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Only thing I don’t like about my Hideout is the design of the flap system for stopping the draft on your legs coming from the back. With the way they got the leg cut out in the tub it makes it hard to mount a “good” draft curtain like in the Cottage.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.