The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smaller Minnesota Lakes  (Read 1304 times)

Offline bv8818

• IceShanty Rookie
Smaller Minnesota Lakes
« on: Nov 12, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Hi all,
From central Iowa and looking to fish MN in December this year.  I have a 2-man, but will be pulling it myself, i.e. no wheeler/sled so looking for recommendations for smaller lakes to fish.  I have fished Gull Lake a couple of times in a sleeper, but this year would like to take my own gear and move around a little more.  Open to any suggestions, would like to focus on walleye, but will catch anything that swims as most likely my will will be joining me. 
Thank you!

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smaller Minnesota Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:16 AM »
Any of the lakes around Alexandria/Glenwood have good fishing opportunities within walking distance of accesses.  pick an area, start looking at the MN DNR lake finder maps, and go explore.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Central Minnesota has a lot of good lakes you can walk on.  My goal for this year is to walk as much as possible, as I am getting lazy and spend too much time on the wheeler.  Pull up google maps and look from St Cloud and head northwest.  Plenty of good lakes with decent Walleye and Panfish.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:08 AM »
This is also an excellent resource as well: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/compass/index.html

Zoom in on the map to the area you want to fish, click on an actual lake which opens a little popup with a link to the DNR info for that lake, including any special regulations, fish stocking data, and DNR Fish Survey results. Can then use the Navionics webapp(https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating) combined with Google Maps to find good areas on that lake to target.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Oops! is too late.

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2018, 05:00 PM »
I would try the East side of Otter Tail Lake, as soon as the ice forms for walleyes!
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Otter Tail County with over 1000 lakes, should meet your needs try Walker, East Lost, West Lost, Ann, Blanch, Annie Battle, Battle lake, Wall, Turtle, Twin, Dead, Star, Linda .........

So many Lakes .... What do you want to fish for?
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.