The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New year's eve fishing trip?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
New year's eve fishing trip?
« on: Oct 22, 2018, 10:13 AM »
The season is almost here!!! I'm in the process of planning a 4 day trip over new years weekend. Really wanted to hit ft. peck as I have never been there and always heard good things but I'm a little worried about the ice conditions by that time on such a large body of water. I'm not one to risk it.
And I'm kinda stuck with whatever I choose because I'm either going to book a forest service cabin or an AirBnB - so my choice must be reliably frozen around that time of year. Can anyone lend some ideas where I could have a great fishing weekend? I normally fish georgetown and around in the flathead valley lakes, but unexperienced elsewhere. I'd like to explore somewhere new. Pike would be at the top of the list, lake trout or large perch, just something different than rainbows and kokes.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New year's eve fishing trip?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2018, 03:38 PM »
I've never fished Fort Peck myself, but if you check out the 'Fishing Reports and Conditions' section of the Montana forum and select 'Fort Peck' I figure you can find out what are typical ice conditions in January as well as what areas people have luck with. Here is a link to the thread

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=142939.0
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Yeah I went there first, seems like most usual case is there's not a lot of hard water at the end of december.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2018, 10:45 PM »
Fourchette would most likely be solid by then but it's a long ways from an airbnb. And hard to predict the road conditions that far in advance. I would consider the Lewistown area. Plenty of rentals and a few reservoirs within a reasonable distance that have perch and pike. Lake trout is probably another story but we can't have everything every time.

Offline tman71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2018, 01:23 PM »
Lake Francis hotel right in Valier.  You can drive 4wheeler to the lake , bar and restaurant within minutes. Pike, Perch, Walleye and Ling. 50 miles east is Tiber and 40 miles southwest is pishikin reservoir. 

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2018, 02:13 PM »
Wow that sounds like the recipe for an incredible weekend. I will look into it, thanks!

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2018, 09:56 PM »
Lake Francis hotel right in Valier.  You can drive 4wheeler to the lake , bar and restaurant within minutes. Pike, Perch, Walleye and Ling. 50 miles east is Tiber and 40 miles southwest is pishikin reservoir.
It's posts like this that make me love IceShanty's community so much.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Fort peck is frozen by Jan 1st [ 1 year out of last 16yrs it had weak ice].
Book a room at Hell Creek marina,[ drive down boat ramp onto the Ice].
Or at a motel in Jordan Mt.
The fishing for Northern pike in the bay out to main lake should be good, walleye you never know, lots of perch.
Clint or Lane can give you good advise on ice conditions and where to fish.
Tight lines
FP1

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:47 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the replies.
I'm leaning towards Frances, because ft peck is 500 miles away... and that doesnt sound like a comfortable drive at the end of december. I would love to go get into the pike though, it sounds a lot better at ft peck then lake frances. Just not sure, having never been there. Also gotta think about time spent fishing vs time spent driving on the snow and ice over a long weekend  :-\.

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2018, 03:02 PM »
Called the Hell Creek marina and he said the just tip of the bay would be frozen around new years eve but most of it isnt safe ice til after the first week of Jan. So I'm gonna rule that one out.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2018, 10:21 PM »
Crooke Creek out of Winnett is capped.
Don't know how far it goes past the bend or how thick it is .
FP1

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2018, 08:44 AM »
I was hunting UL Bend last weekend and on the Fred Robinson side there was no ice.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2018, 08:46 AM »
For a New Year's trip it would be a tossup between Nelson and staying at the Buffalo Jump Hot Springs or  Georgetown and staying at the local hotel.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2018, 11:17 AM »
Georgetown is our normal spot, so we're looking into other places. I'm holding on to hope that there will be lots of cold weather on fort peck between now and then, but have a feeling we'll end up on lake frances.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.