Author Topic: For the Colorado Forum  (Read 897 times)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
For the Colorado Forum
« on: Oct 03, 2018, 04:04 PM »
This thread isn't about ice fishing per se but fishable ice is still a couple of months away so sue me. It does concern Chris, the owner over at Colorado Tackle Pro and who is also the guy who sponsors this Colorado Forum. Thank you, Chris. I was in his shop late last week picking up some bait and this and that. The topic of crappie came up and he pulled out his phone and showed me a picture of himself holding up a 17-1/2" white crappie. Shocking to see such a fish west of the Mississippi. Asked him if he was having it mounted. Nope. He had been pre-fishing for a recent little bass tournament qualifier down at Pueblo. This was his first fish of the day. Maybe he hadn't had enough coffee but at any rate he put it back in the water.
Now, the State record for white crappie is 17" and that number has stood since 1975.  There may be many of you out there who would make the same decision as he did, but for me that's a once in three lifetimes fish and I'd milk it for all the glory it would reflect. At any rate, it's still in there. Chris, if you ever get around to reading this thread, please post that picture.  Before long, we'll be having guys from Mississippi driving up here for a chance at a big one.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: For the Colorado Forum
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Nice!  Sounds like an amazing fish.  As far as keeping it, nah.  He can get a mount with the measurements and photos.  But yeah, I guess it could've been a new record if he got it certified. Unless you want a couple of tasty tacos (perch are better), I see no reason to keep one massive crappie.  But hey, to each his own.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2018, 05:59 PM »
Hell yeah I'm a glory whore, I'd love a state record!  Im with ya Stinky!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Nice!  Sounds like an amazing fish.  As far as keeping it, nah.  He can get a mount with the measurements and photos.  But yeah, I guess it could've been a new record if he got it certified. Unless you want a couple of tasty tacos (perch are better), I see no reason to keep one massive crappie.  But hey, to each his own.
The record is at 17", 4 lbs. 3.5 oz. I don't know if he weighed it before he tossed it back but it sure looked like something you wouldn't want to drop on your foot. Those fiberglass mounts are just a standing temptation to tell hellish lies, fishermen not being noted for pure honesty. Worse than golfers. I know I certainly am. You bass guys are your own breed of cat. He sure was excited about qualifying for what seemed to me to be a pretty dreary little backwater bass  tournament. State record crappie. Yes, please.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2018, 06:46 PM »
“The fish in question must be weighed on a state-certified scale, and there must be a weight receipt signed by a person who witnessed the weighing. The fish, not frozen, gutted, or altered in any way, must be examined and identified by a Colorado Parks and Wildlife biologist or wildlife manager before an application is submitted. The biologist or wildlife manager will fill out and return the application form​ to the Sportfish Program Manager in Denver.“

Yeah, I guess you need to pop that sucker in the cooler if you want the state record...I woulda kept it too, probably.  Photos don’t cut it.

Interesting, you can get Master Angler pins just using photos with lengths, and submit through the CPW app...my MA bass was released, but MA perch was transformed into tacos.   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.