New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: engel bait cooler or bait cooler recommendations  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
engel bait cooler or bait cooler recommendations
« on: Aug 22, 2018, 02:02 PM »
I have been using my buddies bait cooler for a while and I want to purchase one for this season. I have seen engel bait coolers. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on these or what bait coolers all of you would recommend?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: engel bait cooler or bait cooler recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2018, 04:06 PM »
I got a 19 qt on sale @ Cabelas last year for just over $50 to my door. Certainly solves the slosh/spill issue. Seems pretty sturdy. I liked the bait net insert but did was not impressed with the noisy two-speed aerator. Wound up adapting my much quieter Frabill Whisper pump and added an outboard power jack to it so I can run it off a 110v wall wart.

I'd had it with the spilling all over everything. Seemed like no matter how I secured a lid or how careful I was there was always minnow water everywhere.  By the time I looked for a suitable cooler that lent itself to a secure mod I was in the $40 range so this was a no brainer for me.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2018, 05:54 PM »
I bought the Engle for $50 last year from Austin Kayak with one of their monthly coupons. If you sign up for the newsletter, you'll get a 10% or 15% off coupon every month. I was in lucky enough that my credit card price protection gave it to me for $7 after it was posted on that price at that price on another site that cancelled all the orders. I was very happy with it at the $50 I paid and recommend it without reservation.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2018, 06:21 PM »
I got a 19 qt on sale @ Cabelas last year for just over $50 to my door. Certainly solves the slosh/spill issue. Seems pretty sturdy. I liked the bait net insert but did was not impressed with the noisy two-speed aerator. Wound up adapting my much quieter Frabill Whisper pump and added an outboard power jack to it so I can run it off a 110v wall wart.

I'd had it with the spilling all over everything. Seemed like no matter how I secured a lid or how careful I was there was always minnow water everywhere.  By the time I looked for a suitable cooler that lent itself to a secure mod I was in the $40 range so this was a no brainer for me.

19 quarts seems like a decent size. Given I don’t fill my 5gal bucket to the top with the styrofoam liner, I am curious to know how much water you put in it, and what kind/how much bait you carry at one time.

This question is assuming you were able to use it last season on the hardwater...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Yep. Almost 5 gallons to the top. Even though it seals well I only fill 2/3 to 3/4. It never hurts to give quality bait plenty of room. One trip to LBDN last year I left the bait shop with 8 dozen suckers up to 10" and another 4 dozen small shiners for tipping heads. Made it out to the lake and divided there. It was double full but didn't lose a one.

Usually I'd carry 1 - 2 dozen assorted shiners, suckers or chubs. I like to fish pike so it's generally some of the largest bait I can get my hands on. Then depending on what the trip is there'll be another coupla dozen medium of same. So as I think about it 4 dozen is easily handled. I do much prefer the performance of the Frabill aerator vs the stock one for both quiet and air delivery.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2018, 09:33 AM »
I have the 13 quart Engel cooler and really like it because it doesn't slop water when being transported and keeps minnows alive well.  The only complaint I have heard from others is they would prefer the inside color to be white instead of the dark color used now. It does get hard to see minnows inside a hut where there isn't a lot of light.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2018, 09:37 AM »
Mine came with a net "basket" insert to lift bait out of the water. Lift it up, choose your bait with your hand (no chasing the rambunctious one you really want) and set it back in the cooler. The net is white...

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Yep. Almost 5 gallons to the top. Even though it seals well I only fill 2/3 to 3/4. It never hurts to give quality bait plenty of room. One trip to LBDN last year I left the bait shop with 8 dozen suckers up to 10" and another 4 dozen small shiners for tipping heads. Made it out to the lake and divided there. It was double full but didn't lose a one.

Usually I'd carry 1 - 2 dozen assorted shiners, suckers or chubs. I like to fish pike so it's generally some of the largest bait I can get my hands on. Then depending on what the trip is there'll be another coupla dozen medium of same. So as I think about it 4 dozen is easily handled. I do much prefer the performance of the Frabill aerator vs the stock one for both quiet and air delivery.

Esox, you, pike fishing? I would have never had guessed...

Thank you for the valuable information. I prefer to have several sized baits for a few specific bodies of water, give the species you can bring through the hole. I am intrigued with the cooler since i saw one at the bait store last season but as a traditionalist, the 5 gallon bucket was always the way to go

Plus a fishing partner dumped bait before sunrise last year before sunrise and we hadn't known until after checking traps hours later.

Thanks again

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2018, 05:09 PM »
Esox, you, pike fishing? I would have never had guessed...

Thanks again

I dabble with pike  ::).

It was the spillage thing that got me. Seemed no matter how hard I tried, how careful I was there was always water where it wasn't supposed to be. Last year was the straw. Lost half the bucket on the way down to the lake. Refilled and then like 80% on the way back to the truck. Everything soaked. Done. I was mousing for suitable coolers to mod but they were pretty much $40 an up. Then I stumbled across the Cabelas deal. Happy ending  :thumbsup:

Regular price can be a barrier to those on a budget. I never would have paid MSRP.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2018, 05:46 PM »
I dabble with pike  ::).

It was the spillage thing that got me. Seemed no matter how hard I tried, how careful I was there was always water where it wasn't supposed to be. Last year was the straw. Lost half the bucket on the way down to the lake. Refilled and then like 80% on the way back to the truck. Everything soaked. Done. I was mousing for suitable coolers to mod but they were pretty much $40 an up. Then I stumbled across the Cabelas deal. Happy ending  :thumbsup:

Regular price can be a barrier to those on a budget. I never would have paid MSRP.

I’m with you. But don’t tell the retailers, I will likely have one by first ice regardless. I probably spend $20 a year on the foam inserts, it will pay for itself in 2 and a half seasons. If I see a sale, or can add it on to get a discount, it will be in my cart.

And I love the net insert as wells.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2018, 07:10 PM »
I have been using my buddies bait cooler for a while and I want to purchase one for this season. I have seen engel bait coolers. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on these or what bait coolers all of you would recommend?

They work well, but tend to be a bit large for flip overs. In a wheel house they are great. Great for chubs. I just wish they had a divider in them so a guy could do fat heads on one side and Shinners on the other.

The one thing about the Engel bait cooler is the lid discoloration after a year or so. I seen frabill came out with a similar bait cooler that look really sweet.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2018, 07:37 PM »
They work well, but tend to be a bit large for flip overs. In a wheel house they are great. Great for chubs. I just wish they had a divider in them so a guy could do fat heads on one side and Shinners on the other.

The one thing about the Engel bait cooler is the lid discoloration after a year or so. I seen frabill came out with a similar bait cooler that look really sweet.

A divider would be awesome. I wonder if some Plexiglas would Work, although you lose the benefit of the net insert

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2018, 09:49 PM »
A divider would be awesome. I wonder if some Plexiglas would Work, although you lose the benefit of the net insert

I have no net insert in my engle?.....

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2018, 07:57 AM »
My Engel is about five years old and at that time they didn't come with a net in them.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2018, 08:47 AM »
Here's your upgrade - https://www.austinkayak.com/products/23653/Engel-Live-Bait-Cooler-Net-19.html

$9 for the 19 qt and $8 for the 13. $5 S/H. I could make one for less but if you consider materials AND time this is a pretty good deal. I may play with some sort of divider thing though.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Thanks, I looked at that yesterday and may have to order one. It looks like a good improvement to me.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #17 on: Aug 29, 2018, 01:36 PM »
I bought an Ozark trail (yeti knockoff) cooler at Walmart.  Rigged up an airpump on it and it works great.  The have far better insulation than frabill or Engels and the gasketed lip seems to hold up better to freezing and not sealing.
]

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Aug 29, 2018, 02:37 PM »
I bought an Ozark trail (yeti knockoff) cooler at Walmart.  Rigged up an airpump on it and it works great.  The have far better insulation than frabill or Engels and the gasketed lip seems to hold up better to freezing and not sealing.

That was one of the options I was considering when I stumbled across the Engel deal. The 26 qt OT was larger than I wanted or needed, $25 buck more plus I'd need to mod the air pump (which I kinda would up doing anyway) and the bait net. Liked the look of the OT cooler and despite the price would have probably chosen that one to work with.

As of yet I've not had in issue with the Engel lid freezing. I have had some icing issues internally but put that down to pumping -0F air thru the bubbler. I couldn't ascribe it to the quality of insulation as we had other non-aerated buckets that didn't ice as fast. On the day I had issues I shut the air off but it was already too cold inside the cooler to help much. Got a plan to add a small box/shroud around the air pump so I can toss in one of those dry chem handwarmers on those -0 days.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 15, 2018, 10:58 AM »
I have the Engel and have a problem with the gasket freezing and having trouble getting the cooler open. Also have had a problem with the water freezing. I was told to put chap stick on the gasket but that didn't work at all.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Sep 15, 2018, 01:32 PM »
I have the Engel and have a problem with the gasket freezing and having trouble getting the cooler open. Also have had a problem with the water freezing. I was told to put chap stick on the gasket but that didn't work at all.
Silicone spray on both surfaces, let dry and repeat occasionally.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 15, 2018, 10:40 PM »
Ordered a bait net for mine.

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #22 on: Oct 24, 2018, 12:39 PM »
I have been going the cheap route;
(1) gallon igloo water jug
(1) airpump
(1) nylon camping strap

-Drill hole in top of jug so that the airline fits tightly (leak proof)
-Put strap around cooler and hang airpump
-Run airline through the lid and if needed put weight (stainless nut) above the stone to
-I leave an aquarium pump in my garage, if I need to keep bait overnight ill just attach the pump to the airline and let it run

**Again, a jug with a white inside is helpful
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 24, 2018, 05:18 PM »
Ordered a bait net for mine.

:thumbsup: You're gonna love that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.