Author Topic: 6 in lazer at break through  (Read 814 times)

Offline icefish1960

• IceShanty Rookie
6 in lazer at break through
« on: Aug 18, 2018, 06:21 PM »
having issues with my Clam Conversion auger at break through. Sometimes it drills through just fine, other times it practically pulls me into the hole, am I doing something wrong when this happens or is this just how these auger work? Is there a better option? The auger I am using now came with the conversion kit.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: 6 in lazer at break through
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2018, 09:21 PM »
lift up so it shaves less ice just before it gets to bottom of the hole. what its doing is leaving an uneven hole the flights get caught onto.
lifting it key on lazers. makes a cleaner break thru.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2018, 10:21 PM »
With my plate and 7” lazer, I hold the handles with my palms up, with some of the weight of the rig resting in the hand so I feel it pulling itself down through the ice. So instead of any downward pressure, I’m holding it and bearing some of the weight as it drills. That way even if your don’t know how thick the ice is, you won’t get caught by surprise when it caches bottom.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2018, 11:39 PM »
lift up so it shaves less ice just before it gets to bottom of the hole. what its doing is leaving an uneven hole the flights get caught onto.
lifting it key on lazers. makes a cleaner break thru.

Exactly what 3300 said.  Right when you know your reaching bottom lift up to clear out the ice chips so that the hole is clean.  Then lower it back down and you should be able to punch through with ease.  Will take some practice but once you get the hang of it you won’t have worry about being thrown like a rag doll anymore.

Offline icefish1960

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2018, 03:56 PM »
Thanks for the advise everyone, i will try that this season. I did just see some video on the mini nero ice auger, now I have that in the back of my mind I just can't seem to stop buying ice gear!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Thanks for the advise everyone, i will try that this season. I did just see some video on the mini nero ice auger, now I have that in the back of my mind I just can't seem to stop buying ice gear!

I have never run one, but I've seen a lot of post with people who claim it's just has bad as the lazer augers if not worse on break through.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.