The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Piermont setback?  (Read 5144 times)

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Piermont setback?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2018, 11:38 AM »
I asked that same question at the baitfish meeting a few weeks later. F&G said they can check bait slips and licenses only. They mentioned VT Bait slips are still required because you are accessing the ice from VT soil....all the river regs just make my head spin ???

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #31 on: Mar 27, 2018, 09:43 AM »
I asked that same question at the baitfish meeting a few weeks later. F&G said they can check bait slips and licenses only. They mentioned VT Bait slips are still required because you are accessing the ice from VT soil....all the river regs just make my head spin ???

LOL good luck enforcing THAT ONE  ::)
Chasing Ice

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 28, 2018, 04:36 AM »
Try and fish the Conn. river setback above Lancaster(accessible from the Vt. side) with NH bait(no slip) and see what the Vt game warden says !

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #33 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Try and fish the Conn. river setback above Lancaster(accessible from the Vt. side) with NH bait(no slip) and see what the Vt game warden says !

Im actually surprised to hear how many people have encountered VTFG on the river. Clearly as you can tell, I dont fish the river through the ice much. This is good to know though. Hopefully others reading this may learn from this as I am..... Just cant wrap my head around the fact that it is being patrolled by VtFG and Vt law being enforced on NH water.
Chasing Ice

Offline 802clamjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 28, 2018, 09:01 AM »
If the setback is only accessible from the vermont side then you can’t bring nh bait across state lines to use in Vermont.....that’s why the warden would have a problem with that. I love fishing the river but these bait laws really complicate things

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #35 on: Mar 28, 2018, 11:05 AM »
If the setback is only accessible from the vermont side then you can’t bring nh bait across state lines to use in Vermont.....that’s why the warden would have a problem with that. I love fishing the river but these bait laws really complicate things

I understand. I guess I was looking at from the perspective, that regardless of where the bait came from, the bait is not being placed into a body of VT water.
Chasing Ice

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #36 on: Mar 28, 2018, 03:16 PM »
NH also requires you to have completed the boater safety course if out in a boat.
Everyone, no grandfathering.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #37 on: Mar 28, 2018, 03:36 PM »
NH also requires you to have completed the boater safety course if out in a boat.
Everyone, no grandfathering.

Yes, That is NH law, being enforced on NH water though. This bait thing is Vt law being enforced in NH water. The bottom line, is that the NH bait, while being used in the river; IS NOT being dropped into Vt water, regardless of which side the bait is carried onto by. I'm not arguing with anyone about the facts.

This brings up a good point though. Say for example, Vt had that boating law (everyone, no grandfathering) and NH did not. Would it be right for Vt wardens to try and enforce their boating law on New Hampshire water? Same thing, tomato potato  ;D
Chasing Ice

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 28, 2018, 09:18 PM »
It would be nice if VT and NH could put their heads together and create a set of interstate rules for the river.....it will never happen but at the very least, the river boundaries should be updated-I know that is even more unlikely to ever happen but c'mon...Hoyt's isnt even on the CT River it's the Black River which is undoubtedly VT. This 'high water mark'/first bridge BS needs to go. VT setbacks =VT regs. NH setbacks = NH regs.

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 29, 2018, 07:06 AM »
The state border in Vermont is the original average low water mark. Not the original high water mark.  The state border is not affected by dams.  The boundary is in many cases submerged.  There are 112 border markers. This means Vermont wardens can enforce Vermont law if the river portion is in Vermont. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.