The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bozeman Area Length of Season  (Read 584 times)

Offline Willy Q

• IceShanty Rookie
Bozeman Area Length of Season
« on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:08 AM »
I am from NJ. My son goes to MSU. I am thinking about coming out during mid March for his Spring Break but am wondering if the ice in the Bozeman area is likely to still be OK then. I know there are no guarantees but am wondering how late recent prior seasons have extended. The season may have ended here yesterday in that all edges are shot. Thx.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bozeman Area Length of Season
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Usually they are done or real sketchy by mid March,this year who knows.
Dont ask

Offline REDin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bozeman Area Length of Season
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:14 AM »
usually depends on the year. this year has been cold and ice in most places in thick and may last till the end of march. however the ponds around Bozeman on the valley floor may not be safe mid to late march. if staying close to Bozeman is your priority consider hyalite reservoir south of town. it contains cutthroat, brookies, and grayling. most of its shoreline is easily accessible. its ice should hold till the end of march but remember that there is an agreement to close the road to vehicles april first at the mouth of the canyon. so the reservoir cant be reached by walking to it. other waters such as canyon ferry, ruby, and some of the lesser known reservoirs close to bozeman may or may not have ice (or be safe) mid to late march.  good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.