The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hog Island nautical map  (Read 559 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hog Island nautical map
« on: Feb 18, 2018, 07:36 AM »
Got bored and went through my old records of my catches off Hog Island.  The striking thing (sorry for the pun) is that they almost all look the same.  Except for so far this year (no pike landed), every day's catch seemed to be 2 or 3 pike and half a pail of perch.  Here's a nautical map with some annotations.

The circled 17 mark is where my girlfriend got a 36' laker, the one that had a lamprey on it.  I also got a salmon there but it was a little smaller.  I also got a 7-lb walleye there on a brilliantly sunny day around 1:00, right after two girls got a similar fish right next to me.  They were in a pop up and were screaming like banshees in there.  I've also gotten smelt and bass (smallmouth went back and the black bass/crappie was delicious) there, too.  You can access that part of the lake through Richard Levesque's yard; I see he has plowed a road and put up his sign again.

The red arrow is where I've migrated to for the last 10 years.  You can see that the floor rises up from 15' to 1' over a very short distance, obviously a steep wall.  The blue line is where I guess the bait fish migrate staying in the shallows so that would be, and has been, a good ambush spot for the predators.

I'm sharing this but hope nobody sets up camp over this spot on a weekday and so have marked other spots with similar bottom features.  Notice the green arrow where it rises up from 19' to 2', the purple arrow rises up from deeper water but not so steeply and the pink arrow where it comes up from 21' to a rocky pile in 2' of water.  I fished there several times with similar luck to the west side.  I talked with a homeowner on that side the other day and he invited me to try again, says the pike have been thick in there recently.

I should have marked the pressure crack but it goes from the southern-most tip of Hog Island Point westward to Stephenson Point.  I avoid it.

Good luck!

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hog Island nautical map
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:38 AM »
A couple weeks ago I fished between your red and green arrows and caught a metric buttload of 6 to 7inchers. Camera showed soft silt bottom no vegetation with some mussel shells mixed in.  No real jumbo to speak of maybe a few 8 inches all thrown back in. I had zero pike swim by my camera that day

Offline Mr. Jitterbugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:25 AM »
Cool post thanks!

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:21 AM »
The bottom may be mostly silty/sandy but there is vegetation, too; pulled up a bunch of seaweed up on my first perch last Tuesday.  Near the rocks there is a lot of tree limbs that floated there and landed and even though it presents hiding space it also causes a lot of snags.  Beez, were you using bait or a bibbit?  Are you putting the dinks back as you catch them or waiting until the end of the day?  I did an experiment and notched the tail of one, put it back, and caught it a second later, you may be, too.  Glad you had some action, not everybody is.

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:04 PM »
The bottom may be mostly silty/sandy but there is vegetation, too; pulled up a bunch of seaweed up on my first perch last Tuesday.  Near the rocks there is a lot of tree limbs that floated there and landed and even though it presents hiding space it also causes a lot of snags.  Beez, were you using bait or a bibbit?  Are you putting the dinks back as you catch them or waiting until the end of the day?  I did an experiment and notched the tail of one, put it back, and caught it a second later, you may be, too.  Glad you had some action, not everybody is.
everything was thrown back right away.  I may have been catching repeat offenders I'm not sure. I don't do bibets but I was using rapala jerk minnows and tungsten jigs with spikes or maki plastics. Fish prefered spikes that day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.