Author Topic: How to stop spider holes!  (Read 2918 times)

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
How to stop spider holes!
« on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:41 PM »
At a local fishing tournament, I learned something from a few young fishemen. When they were done fishing , they pushed the slush back into there holes. What a great idea to stop spider holes at the end of the season.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: How to stop spider holes!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:51 PM »
MMMMM I may have learned something today ...with my local areas warm up this week I will but it to use .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Lol

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Our slush freezes to the ice while we fish

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:03 PM »
 If you get snow overnight it may not refreeze = twisted ankle or wet foot(esp. kids)

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:42 PM »
I don't do that mainly because my 4 year old daughter did it one day and I was fine with it while she was doing it. And she had got a little bored so it was something for her to do. Anyway while I was packing up to go she stepped in one with only one leg and went in to her hip. It was an 8 inch hole. It was a 15 degree day and we only had about a ten min walk but she was freezing cold. So I leave holes open for future fisherman so they don't step in them. I would be pretty ticket if I was walking across a lake and stepped in one of those and had to go home to change boots. My $.02

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:45 AM »
it won't stop spider holes. If it's warm enough for spider holes to form from drilled holes, it's warm enough to melt the slush out of holes. Spider holes are made when the ice melts or it rains and the warmer runoff goes down a hole and makes it bigger.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:46 AM »
⬆️

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:16 AM »
it won't stop spider holes. If it's warm enough for spider holes to form from drilled holes, it's warm enough to melt the slush out of holes. Spider holes are made when the ice melts or it rains and the warmer runoff goes down a hole and makes it bigger.

Hopefully the slush freezes at night and forms ice before the rain. I'm trying  ;)
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:26 AM »
If you get snow overnight it may not refreeze = twisted ankle or wet foot(esp. kids)

that's my fear. the snow hiding a 10" hole as i walk in the dark the following morning

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:42 AM »
i tend to knock down my fishing area pretty flat, scattering slush away from the hole. plus, i would never backfill a hole anyway for fear of someone coming behind me and getting wet or even breaking an ankle. spider holes are pretty easy to see anyways, and only happen when there's water on top of the ice, which doesn't happen too terribly often around here except late late season

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:02 AM »
At a local fishing tournament, I learned something from a few young fishemen. When they were done fishing , they pushed the slush back into there holes. What a great idea to stop spider holes at the end of the season.
Won't stop a thing. It's a false sense of security.

Doing that is like putting sawdust and glue in a hole you just drilled. Might look nice but it isn't strengthening anything up.

If it's warm enough that solid ice will crack it's warm enough that frozen slush in a hole will give out.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Won't stop a thing. It's a false sense of security.

Doing that is like putting sawdust and glue in a hole you just drilled. Might look nice but it isn't strengthening anything up.

If it's warm enough that solid ice will crack it's warm enough that frozen slush in a hole will give out.

Terrible analogy, sawdust and glue are much stronger than the original wood.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2018, 01:36 PM »
nothing will stop mother nature from doing what she wants..

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2018, 01:51 PM »
filling in vs not filling in the holes both have their own merits. at this time where there is no let up on the above freezing temps, it is not going to make a difference. I have filled in the holes, only to watch the slush melt. As for stepping into the holes, just got to teach the kids not to step on anything that looks like an old hole. And the same goes for adults. I fill in the holes when I know that they will freeze over so others won't know where I have fished. they will look like any other old holes. also trying to keep the ice smooth, if I step wrong, i'll twist my ankle. those mounds are a killer for me.

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2018, 01:58 PM »
i found an old 10" hole one day about 5 years ago.  It had snowed a good bit over night and i didn't have a clue that it was there.  Wet up to my waist on one leg.  Luckily i only had about a five minute walk back to the cabin i was renting for the week

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2018, 02:14 PM »
that's my fear. the snow hiding a 10" hole as i walk in the dark the following morning

That's the nice thing about wearing a size 13.................... ........   ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2018, 03:05 PM »
That's the nice thing about wearing a size 13.................... ........   ;)

I've seen a size 13 go thigh deep in an 8", maybe if youre wearing ski boots you'd be safe  ;)
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2018, 04:17 PM »

I've seen a size 13 go thigh deep in an 8", maybe if youre wearing ski boots you'd be safe  ;)
I have too.my bro in law managed do it up to his peanuts.lol boot tip then leg slid right in.lol

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:13 PM »
Another suggestion: Re-drill old holes instead of new ones. I think perch and crappie move chasing baitfish, so the hole may be productive another day. I also think bluegill stay in their pod area, so maybe you need a new hole because the old hole is fished out. I'm just throwing out some ideas for keeping our small lakes in NEPA fishable. :)
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:02 PM »
En less you have chipper blades do not redrill holescbad for auger

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:43 AM »
jmz, you redrill a lot of old holes? I've tried, doesn't work too well with a shaver blade.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:43 AM »
Ive re drilled old holes, and not had a problem....dont do it often so maybe my sample size isnt quite what it should be, but isnt ice ice? Dont mean to hijack.....last weekend the water was running in my hole so hard it was foamed up like crazy...had to skim the foam off!!  kinda cool....but i knew what that meant....im home cleaning garage this weekend.   :( :(

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:28 AM »

^^^^^^ This, kids seem to always find & step in these

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:30 AM »

I use 13" high 1800 gram Lacrosse Pac Boots. Very stiff like ski boots(not like traditional pack boots like Sorels). I don't think you could push them down an 8" hole if you tried!   ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:32 AM »
I have too.my bro in law managed do it up to his peanuts.lol boot tip then leg slid right in.lol

That must be one SKINNY dude!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2018, 03:20 PM »
That must be one SKINNY dude!  ;)
no about 285 and 6 ft 2.wearing muck sports in size 13.dont know how he managed it but its a true story.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:52 PM »
no about 285 and 6 ft 2.wearing muck sports in size 13.dont know how he managed it but its a true story.

I’d like to have seen that!  :o
Where's the FISH?!

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Not that you "can't" learn from the young, but I think in this instance, you'd be better off listening to those who have fished longer!

Maybe some old farts could learn from young kids and not throw cigarette butts on the ice. i'm tired of picking them up so fish don't eat them and die.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Maybe some old farts could learn from young kids and not throw cigarette butts on the ice. i'm tired of picking them up so fish don't eat them and die.

I agree I'm a smoker and take a ash tray with me and a sandwich bag for when im done for the day on the other hand I've been steelhead fishing and ran out of sucker spawns and used cig filters and continued to catch fish also caught carp with a cig but as a pick up

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.