Author Topic: damn weather  (Read 1722 times)

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
damn weather
« on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:08 PM »
boy,this rain and warmer temps are gonna raise hell
with my fishing....NE Pa
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: damn weather
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:21 PM »
I'm worried about the next two weeks in southern Maine as well
Tight lines, be extra cautious now
Steve

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Same in NE Ohio.  Think ice will be ok this weekend, but not sure after this weekend, as beginning of next week looks warm and rainy.  Probably is it for us.  So frustarting.  Sure would be nice to have a good, old fashioned winter again.  Instead of this constant roller coaster of temps we have received the last three years.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2018, 06:40 PM »
Me too. That dam ground hog was wrong  ???. He cant predict weather any better than the weather man  ;)

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:40 PM »
the way it looks in my neighborhood (fingerlakes region ny) we are in serious ice fishing trouble, its just warm enough to make some questionable ice conditions but not warm enough to wipe it out entirely to open water fish. lets all hope no one becomes involved in another  icefishing rescue/recovery story, time to keep the spuds in hand again. this is when the machines can ruin it even quicker by breaking up the shore ice, making it impossible to get on at the popular access spots. be careful and good luck everyone.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Think I'm hanging it up here in Cleveland, OH area.  I can't complain after the past two years of non-existent ice.  Still haven't been able to chase Erie 'eyes in 3 years though.  Western basin Erie ice is what got me hooked to this whole thing.  Gotta love it!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Think I'm hanging it up here in Cleveland, OH area.  I can't complain after the past two years of non-existent ice.  Still haven't been able to chase Erie 'eyes in 3 years though.  Western basin Erie ice is what got me hooked to this whole thing.  Gotta love it!

Sorry to hear that. Erie doesn't freeze over that often in Cleveland?
I've always wanted to fish that area, I've passed through on the way south hunting a few times.
See guys in boats out there.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:28 PM »
Not looking good for southern Mi. Warm and rain for the next week+.. Ice was punky tonight.. Couple guys lost in Indiana today.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:39 PM »
 :-\ We're in the same boat out here In windy Wyoming. Fishing on 8 to 9 inches of ice today in 50 degree weather but no wind. Today 63 degrees and 60+ winds. Don't think I'll be out on that ice again this year! >:(

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:58 PM »
Reading this makes me feel fortunate... North Central Wisconsin and the home lake still has 18".  We had something like 15 days in a row with below zero overnight temps.  Got to 41 today - might be the first or second day all year that it's been over freezing.  Heading to Mille Lac this weekend in MN and last reports were no issues with ice.  Where I'm located I'll need to pull my permanent shack off the lake by March 15 so I'm hoping for 4 more weeks with that + 2 more (end of March) walking out.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Chute82

« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:17 AM »
I've always wanted to fish that area, I've passed through on the way south hunting a few times.

Central basin of Lake Erie would be a death trap if you tried..guys only ice fish Erie on the Western and Eastern basin.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:28 AM »
NE PA is still looking good for now but after this weekend with the rain, I ain't so sure. It's supposed to be cold over night for a few days but during the day, rain for a few days and 40-60 degree temps for more than a week. That does not look good. Some guys will push it and some guys will need to be rescued.

Offline mosely

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:46 AM »
I think this weekend might be it in SE Michigan.  Going to try and fish all weekend and get my fill of ice fishing.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:50 AM »
  The open lake off Cleveland is a death trap.  Too much current, depth, open area for ice to blow, and freighter traffic to make it safe.  I learned this year that you can fish inside the harbors though.  Edgewater and E72nd are the two I've been to this year.  You'll catch some steelhead in the harbors.  There were even a few surprise pike and muskie caught this winter.  Western basin by the islands is a walleye heaven if the ice gets good.  Hasn't been safe enough for my liking in 3 straight years though...

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:59 AM »
We lost everything last year in mid February, and we are gonna loose it this year in mid February. A two month season is the most you can ask for these "days"
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:59 AM »
We lost everything last year in mid February, and we are gonna loose it this year in mid February. A two month season is the most you can ask for these "days"
Move to Iowa!  ;D

I walked on the Ice December 14th and we still have over 2 feet, with temps at night in the teens for the 10 day forecast.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:18 AM »
We are going to see a high today of about 35° then back below zero tonight. Like someone else said in northern WI today will be maybe the 3rd day all year it has gotten above (32°) freezing, and I don't see anything forecast above freezing in the 10 day forecast. Lots of ice, no slush, maybe 6 inches of hard snow on top. Ice fishing is alive and well here. Just had to rub it in. :)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:43 AM »
I made a similar prediction on our MA board last week and got my butt reamed by some of the members. no need for the negativity...if you want it bad enough drive to it....what's the purpose of this post?...etc. nice to see some civil responses to bad but obviously expected news. tis the season. we all knew it would come to this eventually.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I remember a post on here just before ice season where they showed a map of the US. with predicted winter forecast. It had the upper midwest as "colder than normal" so far they were spot on. I don't remember what it said about the eastern united states? We had several weekends here where it was so damn cold I didn't want to go fishing. Like minus -20° cold without wind chill.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2018, 02:31 PM »
I remember it, said we would have a colder than normal December and January but a warmer than normal February. yup. spot on.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Come on up to Minnesota! Finally saw 40 yesterday for the first time in ever, finally warming up a bit. At least around 2 ft of ice in the twin cities much more up north. Just don't forget a gas auger and possible extension depending how far up you go  ;D

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:44 PM »
Some of the Wyoming guys are singing the blues or whinning ;)2 about it here but all they have to do is drive a few hours and there is plenty of ice. Its all here for the taking...

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:39 PM »
 :-\ Yeah, I hear ya Houligan! It's only a 4 hour drive to Desmet. A 3 hour jaunt to Keyhole. No sweat if yer driving a Geo Metro and sleepin in the car :clap: Wheelin a tonner and pullin a camper it gets a little tough to justify an overnighter! Yeah, I be whining a bit but it's not that long to some boat opportunities a bit closer to home so it looks like it's time to respool some reels. Sort Walleye boxes. Get that new ball on the starboard downrigger and tie up some new kokie squids. Hell, damn near a woodie just thinkin about it :thumbsup:

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2018, 12:11 AM »
pushing 30" of ice in ND with talk of a good chance of ice fishing in april  :tipup:

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2018, 03:20 AM »
Ice fishing in April is starting to look real here as well. Hell about 5 years ago the big lakes here were still locked up with ice for fishing opener first Saturday in May.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:30 AM »
Come on up to Minnesota! Finally saw 40 yesterday for the first time in ever, finally warming up a bit. At least around 2 ft of ice in the twin cities much more up north. Just don't forget a gas auger and possible extension depending how far up you go  ;D

yeah... I'll leave right after work today, should be there in the afternoon some time. Then I can turn around and head home so I can get a little sleep before work on Monday. Good idea.

It's raining and 40 something out right now. Supposed to get in the 50's before the front hits. Then it'll drop to the low 30's with rain and snow. Next day, back to the 50's again. Supposed to get into the 60's next week. Well, I got out about 8  times this season. Coulda been more but I lost a few weeks in December and January because of that silly little heart attack thing I had. Dang doctors. All I got now is to hope the slush clears away quickly so I can get my kayak out!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:21 AM »

yeah... I'll leave right after work today, should be there in the afternoon some time. Then I can turn around and head home so I can get a little sleep before work on Monday. Good idea.

It's raining and 40 something out right now. Supposed to get in the 50's before the front hits. Then it'll drop to the low 30's with rain and snow. Next day, back to the 50's again. Supposed to get into the 60's next week. Well, I got out about 8  times this season. Coulda been more but I lost a few weeks in December and January because of that silly little heart attack thing I had. Dang doctors. All I got now is to hope the slush clears away quickly so I can get my kayak out!

Come on man about a month ago we drove straight though from Hayward WI. to Miami Florida only took us 27 hours I’m sure your not that far.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2018, 04:29 PM »
This weekend still OK here in WNY, next week I will carry a 8 ft (2X10) in my truck in case I need to span some open shore water to access the ice.

Offline paguy15545

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2018, 08:05 AM »
lakes in my area of pa and md are looking like we are done for this year

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2018, 05:58 PM »
The season is definitely over in SE Pa. I suspect that it won't last much longer in NE Pa. either. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this Winter rates as one of the warmest on record  also. It seems as if all of the early January deep freeze will be eclipsed by all of the above average temps we've had around here lately and the mid 70's forecast for this upcoming week. Oh Well, that's climate change for you. >:( :tipup: :tipup: >:(
ttt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.