Author Topic: Fly Fishing Whites, Ice fishing break  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fly Fishing Whites, Ice fishing break
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:28 PM »

Fly Fishing for whitefish on Kalamalka lake in the winter months was introduced to me this year. I went out and walked along the shore until I noticed schools of mountain whitefish. Then I set up and started casting out small black flies on a float. They liked slow movement of the fly. Either a falling fly or a slowly pulled fly. The wind action also seems to help a big. These hard fighting fish are great fund to catch and the schooling behavior is fun to watch even when they aren't biting. If anyone knows what kind of whites these are i'd be interested in knowing. Look like some sort of mountain white but don't quite have the snout of the Rocky Mountian whites I've caught before.
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fly Fishing Whites, Ice fishing break
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Thanks for posting! Nothing beats the feeling of catching any fish on a fly-rod. I can't say I am an expert on Mountain White Fish. Caught one for the first time here in Idaho well over 15 years ago while river fishing for trout...buddy of mine and I did not even know what the heck it was at that time until we went home that night and looked it up in the fishing regs. I know you mentioned using a black type fly. Do you know if it was a wet type fly like a wooly bugger with a bead head or something? You mentioned using a float, was this like a small transparent type bubble or a fly-fishing strike indicator type float?  Looks like allot of fun!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:03 PM »
I've been tying quite a bit lately in preparation for the upcoming season
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2018, 06:31 PM »
I've been tying quite a bit lately in preparation for the upcoming season
Will not be long that's for sure!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:12 PM »
Thanks for posting! Nothing beats the feeling of catching any fish on a fly-rod. I can't say I am an expert on Mountain White Fish. Caught one for the first time here in Idaho well over 15 years ago while river fishing for trout...buddy of mine and I did not even know what the heck it was at that time until we went home that night and looked it up in the fishing regs. I know you mentioned using a black type fly. Do you know if it was a wet type fly like a wooly bugger with a bead head or something? You mentioned using a float, was this like a small transparent type bubble or a fly-fishing strike indicator type float?  Looks like allot of fun!

Yeah I was using a fly fishing strike indicator the type that slides on your line with central stop made of foam.  The fly was a black bead head sinking nymph.  The exact type I'm not sure.  About about one centimeter long.  Lots of fun sight fishing them on the lake.
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.