Author Topic: Bobber Stops  (Read 2668 times)

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bobber Stops
« on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:14 PM »
What does everyone use for bobber stops on their set lines?  I find that the traditional pre-tied ones that come on a plastic tube tend to grab onto the guides and slide down when fighting a fish...and sometimes even when just reeling the line in.  Is there a better alternative?

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Bobber Stops
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:17 PM »
never had an issue with a nail knot  if they are pulled tight enough.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:42 PM »
I have been using bobber stops that are made of smaller string so they do not catch in the guides as much. Most of the knots you find in sporting goods sections have heavy sting. I do almost all of my soft water fishing with slip bobbers.

They are from a company called Fishers Bait and Tackle in White Pigeon, Michigan. Call them at 269-483-7861 and I am sure that they can help you out.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:44 PM »
No problem with the pre tied ones yarn ones ...just make sure they a pretty taught before snipping off the excess ...mostly use them on tip downs . I use buttons on my tip ups. I tried some rubber ones but were hard to move/adjust ...you may have better luck then I did with them.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2018, 02:00 PM »
I prefer the rubber ones that come on a wire just got 150 on amazon for $6

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2018, 02:47 PM »
I’d agree with the rubber ones. Work well for bass Fishing in the summer as well. Can get em on eBay for $1ish for 10 tabs of 6, as long as you can wait a month for it to come from China!

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Stared with tiny sinkers,switched to string,made the move to rubber,and will not go back.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2018, 04:29 PM »
I find that some of the little rubber ones get caught on the little roller on my Shimanos. The yellowish string kind seem to work OK if pulled really tight.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2018, 05:09 PM »
I've tried the yarn/pre-tied strings/rubber barrel style...had issues with everyone of them.  This year I tried the Smart Stop Micro Bobber stops and threw all the others away. They are a little tricky to learn how to use, but once they are on they hold secure and dont catch on the eyelets.  Took me a few to learn, but they are great!

Disclaimer, I am no way affiliated with Smart Stop, just a very happy customer.   

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:26 PM »
I use the thill brand with the little plastic tube. On the fly I have a tool that the line goes through and a spool that holds the string.
I've had it for years don't know who makes it.
I do a lot of drop shot fishing during the summer months.
Also use them with a bead In front of my Texas and Carolina rigs with soft baits.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2018, 09:11 PM »
I have some of those Smart Stoppers but still don't have the knack of putting them on properly. Sometimes it works, but often it doesn't.  I guess I'll try them until they are all gone.

A rubber band tied in a knot around the line works fairly well. So does dental floss when tied with some sort of 'barrel knot' I think it's called.

Offline fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:01 PM »
I don't use any stops. I just lower my baited jig to bottom then pull it off bottom a bit and set my deadstick tip-up with the bail open.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:25 AM »
I also use the rubber stops. use then for for the bobbers as well as markers on my tipups and smelt poles. for melt poles, I set the marker just inside the first guide so I don't have to worry about it getting caught at the tip. on the tipups, when pulling out the line when first setting up, the line does not get caught up like it does with a button

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:47 AM »
X2 for me on the tip up line marker just switched from tie to rubber bobber stops and like them a lot so far. Last several times longer than the ties.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:03 PM »
I've tried the yarn/pre-tied strings/rubber barrel style...had issues with everyone of them.  This year I tried the Smart Stop Micro Bobber stops and threw all the others away. They are a little tricky to learn how to use, but once they are on they hold secure and dont catch on the eyelets.  Took me a few to learn, but they are great!

Disclaimer, I am no way affiliated with Smart Stop, just a very happy customer.
Maybe if you're in a boat vertical jigging, but those things absolutely suck to cast.

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I think I'm going to try those rubber ones that come on the wire.  They look like they really hold well.  Cheers!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:23 PM »
From what I've seen, the rubber stops won't work on anything less than 4# test line. Has anyone used them on 2 or 3#? I've actually had good success with the yarn/string type. I do have to replace them  now and then due to slippage. I try and cinch them as tight as I can before snipping ends.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:37 PM »
Use a thin rubber band.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Maybe if you're in a boat vertical jigging, but those things absolutely suck to cast.
The smart stops don't work with my Shimano reels either. They cannot pass through the line roller. They work fine on My Pflueger presidents, just not on the 500 siennas or the 750 size Sahara I have. Something to keep in mind if anybody goes that route.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:41 PM »
I just use some dacron and tie a uni knot to the line, add in a bead and it works great.

Same setup for years with no issues
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:44 PM »
i just tie a uni with slightly heavier mono.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2018, 01:05 AM »
X3 on the Uni-Knot, I use #30 nylon tip up line, works great.

Simple and cost effective:

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:42 AM »
I do that as well but I use dental floss. I find that it grabs the line better.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:47 AM »
The rubber stops work really well on 4-8# fireline I typically do 2-3’ of 2 or 4 # fluorocarbon leader then a small swivel to fireline I find the fused braid goes through the slip bobber much easier than mono.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.