The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Important Notice: Hog Island Fathead Info  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Important Notice: Hog Island Fathead Info
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:13 AM »
Yup, thanks for the update, Mudchuck!  Glad to hear that the state is listening and considering the options. 

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Thanks for attending the meeting Mudchuck and giving us the update. What would happen to all the bait shops that are reliant on Hog Island Wholesale if they were to go out of business? There must be some other way to ensure that the bait being distributed by them meets all the states requirements rather than just shutting them down. Hopefully the distributor in Arkansas can get their act together and prevent this from happening again.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 14, 2018, 02:31 PM »
Mudchuck, Thanks for attending and sharing the info.  I hope some young fellows start up a bait enterprise that can be a model for the rest of the country.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2018, 01:59 AM »
Good to know.  Hog island could use some competition...they wholesale to a lot of the shops down here in CT as well.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:47 AM »
For what it's worth here is a link to the Arkansas bait industry,http://safebaitfish.org/

Offline FishingFarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:11 PM »
The reality is the state needs to have a smelt hatchery and start providing good bait to people. They do it in Maine and sell them in New Hampshire. Currently our state stocks fish in lakes but provides no food for them. It is a failing system that is putting pressure on bait fish within the lakes. As far as I’ve been able to tell from talking with some high up people is that F@W doesn’t  have a good relationship with the VT DEC(department of environmental conservation) and don’t coordinate on what really needs to happen. You can’t keep stocking trout with out putting bait into the lakes and ponds. I’m thinking they need to start putting smelt into the lakes and then we can start having a good population of health fish in our lakes and ponds. With the addition of bait fish the other fish will in turn be able to have a thriving population. I most definitely plan on being at the next meeting in the NEK and recommend that you go if you care about the VT fisheries.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:16 PM »
The reality is the state needs to have a smelt hatchery and start providing good bait to people. They do it in Maine and sell them in New Hampshire. Currently our state stocks fish in lakes but provides no food for them. It is a failing system that is putting pressure on bait fish within the lakes. As far as I’ve been able to tell from talking with some high up people is that F@W doesn’t  have a good relationship with the VT DEC(department of environmental conservation) and don’t coordinate on what really needs to happen. You can’t keep stocking trout with out putting bait into the lakes and ponds. I’m thinking they need to start putting smelt into the lakes and then we can start having a good population of health fish in our lakes and ponds. With the addition of bait fish the other fish will in turn be able to have a thriving population. I most definitely plan on being at the next meeting in the NEK and recommend that you go if you care about the VT fisheries.

This is a great idea and easy to setup since the hatcheries could be configured for smelt, just don’t know about the metrics involved in getting smelt to a size ideal for release into the wild.
My guess is this should be applied to Champlain initially since there are plenty of food smelt populations on several inland waters that seem to be self sustaining.
Wouldn’t be a stretch to do this with suckers too, but growth rate might be hard to achieve without warm water which would be expensive in our cold climate.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.