The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Productiveness of One Perch Lake vs. Another  (Read 925 times)

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Productiveness of One Perch Lake vs. Another
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:42 PM »
Good evening all.  I was wondering if I could pick your brains on a topic I've been very curious about concerning the productivity of one lake over another.  Within reasonable distance from Eureka, I can target two perch lakes that vary widely in the size of the perch they produce.  Both Lower Stillwater and Murphy Lake are loaded with perch, but the former outstrips the latter in terms of their size and I'm very curious as to why that is. 

As far as a comparison between them, both lakes have extensive weed beds and offer a refuge of relatively deep water (Murphy bottoms out around 25-30' while Lower Stillwater has two holes that are roughly 50'.  Both lakes have a predator population (largemouth bass in Murphy vs. pike in Lower Stillwater).  I point that out due to a few research articles I've read concerning how predators can cull out the smaller fish, thereby allowing the bigger fish to spawn/decreasing the genetics of smaller spawners.  Both lakes are fed by streams (Murphy has two creeks that feed it and an outlet, while Lower Stillwater is fed by the Stillwater River).  I've fished them in the spring and fall and witnessed abundant insect activity on both, indicating the presence of a solid food base. 

Yet, despite these similarities, an angler must sort through dozen or so small fish for every worthy keeper on Murphy (a 9" perch is a hog here...at least in my experience), while Lower Stillwater produces good catches with more approaching jumbo status.  Any thoughts?  I realize there's little to nothing I can do about it, whether I know the reason behind this or not, but I'm extremely curious as to why Murphy doesn't produce larger fish and more of them.  Your input is greatly appreciated.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Productiveness of One Perch Lake vs. Another
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:50 AM »
Food supply,predation,fishing pressure,cover,spawning structure....
Dont ask

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:19 AM »
+ water temperature.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Probably a stunted population for the size of the lake.  They wont get big in Murphy until a good number of them get taken out.  Every time I have gone there you catch them right after the other, hundreds all small.  Is there a fishing derby held on Lower Stillwater?  I know Murphy just had one today.  Im interested in how that turned out. 

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:21 PM »
I figured it was stunted. You're definitely right about it being loaded with smaller fish, and it sees far less pressure and harvest than Lower Stillwater. Do the largemouth not put a dent in them though? Would it have any positive impact if anglers culled out more of the smaller ones?

Lower Stillwater had a perch assault (or at least some tournament) on it last year, but I don't believe that it was held this season. As far as the tournament on Murphy goes, I work with some folks who help out with it. I'll find out how it went on Monday and post the results.

Offline Perchking15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2018, 12:29 AM »
Good topic! I have hundreds of days on Stillwater  and a few dozen on Murphy. Everything you say is accurate. I find myself going back to Stillwater time and time again due to the fact that the state record came from there. I've caught many perch over 13 inches out of Stillwater. But nothing has been over 1.6 pounds. I believe that the harvesting of perch in Stillwater is what allowes the survivors to get to jumbo status. But I must admit I do get upset when people take a 5 gallon bucket of jumbos home to eat :'( 

Offline peacockhurl4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2018, 11:13 AM »
I have only fished Murphy once and as you said there are many small fish every where you fish.  I don't find that at Lower Stillwater.  Most times you have to move to find the perch so much of the water, whether it be shallow or deep, is void of fish.  I just think Murphy is over populated for the available food supply and not enough predators whereas lakes like Lower Stillwater and LMR do not have that huge mass of small fish eating all the food.  I may be wrong-see what others think.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:38 PM »
Would the streams that feed them have a significant impact?  I agree that the lack of harvest must contribute to the abundance of smaller fish, but fail to see how something couldn't grow bigger than they do there.  The Stillwater River is a "substantial" stream compared to Dickey and Laughing Water Creek which feed Murphy.  Would a larger river pump more nutrients into Lower Stillwater, thereby contributing to a greater food supply?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.