The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Perch at the Silos  (Read 1345 times)

Offline MKflyish

• IceShanty Rookie
Perch at the Silos
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:27 PM »
Hello everyone.  New guy here just trying to get some info on water I haven't fished in a while.  Has anyone been out to the silos on CF recently and if so where have you had to get to to find fish?  30-40' or deeper?  And has anyone been driving out there?  Just wondering if my new puppy can make the trip.  Thanks guys and good luck out there!!!

Offline buckfever

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Perch at the Silos
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:00 PM »
There were people driving on it a week ago but it’s been warm the last few days and I wouldn’t trust it. I know before this storm hit people were talking about open water north of the silos and there was a 40 yd stretch of open I saw about a mile south of there.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:23 PM »

Offline gramps2321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Spent three days without any luck.  I fished 6' all the way out to 45'.  Didn't mark much either.  There is a pressure ridge that has open water where a 4 wheeler and a truck dropped their front end in but got out near Galzagory Bay going East.  I didn't go across to it deeper water.  About noon today the wind started and I gave up.  Couldn't keep the holes open or see your rod tip.  The gal at the Silos said it has been slow too. 

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:02 AM »
The hardest part about Canyon Ferry is finding the perch on a given day, that being said, I have done well a few times out there and I would advise you to find structure on the water. Some of my best fishing was is in the 35-40ft range and around some sunken trees. FWP used to helicopter drop old Christmas trees into Canyon Ferry  to provide perch habitat. Find some of those trees and and you have a good starting place. I have caught them on jigging raps, forage minnows, buck shots, even on a chunk of dead herring one day. The bottom line is that it's a massive body of water and your real challenge is simply going to be finding the fish.

Offline Rainman935

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Always be cautious when driving on any ice (obviously). Ice is great at silos. Several full sized pickups drive to hole in the wall almost daily. I have taken my explorer out several times in the last couple of weeks. Was out yesterday evening. 20-25" of ice. Perch, walleye, ling and rainbows everywhere. 20-25fow approx 3/4 Mile out from silos.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.