Author Topic: Snow  (Read 2080 times)

Offline wcbarkerf

• IceShanty Rookie
Snow
« on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:56 PM »
How is it getting onto any lakes after all this snow??????

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Snow
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Sounds tough so I'm switching back to skidoo.

Offline albertaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:50 PM »
Gull is still good if u have 4x4. Trails still good and making yr own trail is good to go also. Albertaboy

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Pigeon Lake, Silver Beach area south of the Mulhurst boat launch, is about 36". With my shack sitting 8" above the ice I'm gonna need an extension next time I'm out.

Driving out yesterday was a little dicey, saw a few guys stuck and digging, heading home today the ruts were fine but the snow drifts were wind blown and hard enough to walk on without breaking through. Could be real nasty if you need to break trail.

Fishing was slow, one small pike and a thick 19" walleye on Saturday, a similar walleye early Sunday morning and then nothing the rest of the day. We did watch a pike on the camera for almost an hour but it just hovered at the bottom with no interest in anything we tried.

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline demasterangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:56 PM »

Anyone fishing east of cowtown , like Mcgregor , CVR , Badger  etc.
    Looks like a nice week coming up ! Thnx

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:34 AM »
I was out at the shack on Pigeon again this weekend, I was ok but saw a few guys stuck and digging.

Looking at the weather forecast just now and it's not looking good for people wanting to access the lake with a truck next weekend.

Thursday 1-3 cm snow
Friday 10-15 cm snow
Saturday 5-10 cm snow
Sunday 1-3 cm snow

Hope the weather man is wrong!

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Made it out this morning and only got stuck once about 75 yards from the shack. A bit of shovelling and some back and forth and we made it. Access wasn’t too bad. Lots of people fishing by the Mulhurst boat launch and we were the first to drive down to the silver beach area since the storm last weekend. One other truck came and went, now we’re enjoying the peace and quiet

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Spent the weekend on the ice again.

The main track from Mulhurst to Silver Beach was passable, but getting the 200 yards from our shack to the main track was a nightmare this afternoon. Where did all this snow come from? I checked the forecast on Friday before we left and it called for maybe 1-3 cm. We got sleet for a few hours Saturday evening and then sideways blowing snow all night long. There was 3" of wet heavy snow when we woke up.

We got stuck about 5 feet from where we parked the truck overnight, and then stuck another 10-12 times in the next hour. Shovels, a pair of trac grabbers on the rear, and some wire mesh sand (snow?) ladders were used

It's gonna be a gong show getting the shack off the ice this year. Might have to rent a tracked Argo.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Got the shacks off the ice today. Was going to wait til next weekend and the end of fishing season but the forecast for today was good and I'm glad we got 'er done. Might go out somewhere on Saturday for a day trip

Main trail from Mulhurst to Silver Beach was easy going but off trails required shovels, tow straps or tire chains.

Still lots of ice, I didn't punch any holes but saw one guy with an older jiffy have to dig all the snow away to get his auger deep enough to break through.

Boat launch at Mulhurst was still passable but starting to get rough. Still 18-24" of hard packed wind blown snow on the lake, wet heavy stuff that's been through a few freeze/thaw cycles. Not fun to walk on or try to drive through.

Only saw one permanent shack left on the ice near the boat launch when we left.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:23 PM »
Thanks for the update.   I was wondering what it was like there.  I don't think it will get much better for closing weekend.  Maybe even a bit worse.

Glad you got you shack off and I hope you had a great season there :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.