Author Topic: Home made set ups for Helix 7  (Read 5582 times)

Offline salttofresh

• IceShanty Rookie
Home made set ups for Helix 7
« on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Hey guys,

First time ice fisherman here, and I just recently bought the Helix 7 Chip Si Gps G2 unit for my boat. I want to use it on the ice. I looked into hummingbirds portable case, and not only is it pricey but seems to be sold out everywhere. I just ordered a battery from amazon for $30 and I was thinking of just making my own set up out of a tool box or soft case. Just looking for some suggestions of what some of you did with your units. Any advise or pictures would be great!

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Home made set ups for Helix 7
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:47 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/iGUR7

I used a $10 soft duffle from cabelas. Built the base out of 1x scraps and some thin wood I had laying around. With the screen turned straight up it all zips inside the case. The case holds my helix 7, transducer, standard 7-10 ah 12v battery in the large main compartment and my tools and tackle boxes in the side pockets.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:18 PM »
I got one of these and liked it so much a bought two more for son and friend. Price and design is right, used to be an IS sponsor too. Good stuff. My internal tub was a Rubbermaid food container...

Hmmm. Guess I forgot to drop the link. Here it is:
http://www.glensoutdoors.com/trophy-angler-ice-guide-square-bottom-flashers-soft-pack.html
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Rugerhoyt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:33 PM »
I just finished putting one of these setups together about 30 mins ago.  There are some pretty fancy setups out there, but I went a little easier route.  I purchased a Helix 7 Chirp DI GPS G2 for my boat and simply mounted a second gimbal to a blue genz box ($30). Purchased a battery from Scheels for $20 and had an extra Vexilar charger from my FLX 28.  Hardest thing to find was the transducer as there aren't many left in the country.  Thankfully Scheels could get their hands on one, which I just picked up today.  Super excited to get it out on the hard water.  I literally signed up for Ice Shanty 5 mins ago so I could search around for what general settings i should set the unit to so I'm ready to rock this weekend!  Only thing else I would like to get for my new setup would be the neoprene cover for the head unit other than that I am pumped. 
Insert cool quote or brag <here>

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2018, 10:15 PM »
its not a Helix, but here is my DIY setup got a Garmin Striker 5.

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:51 AM »
Dang---that thing looks heavy with that bigger battery

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:09 AM »
I usually take a small drill with me for various purposes. So I took a wood dowel, shaped 1 end to fit 'up the butt' of my Lowrance and put a steel rod in the other end. It elevates the FF closer to eye level and  can change location or angle by zapping another small hole in the ice. Don't have a pic.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Dang---that thing looks heavy with that bigger battery

Not heavy at all, it’s the battery out of my daughters scooter. The cooler is very small and only holds a 6 pack, but I guess it looks bigger than it is.
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:39 PM »
I mounted my HB 797c2 on a Vexilar box.  I added the white board to hold the GPS puck.

Offline Rtrucking40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I have a humminbird 688 that i fitted on a marcum showdown case think the helix 7 might be a bit to big to zip up tho

Offline johnsazr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2018, 05:59 PM »
I just ordered these....

XI 9-1521 (chirp) transducer sold out everywhere so will pick up in fall

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 10:58 AM »
 I like to use a five gallon bucket for mounting my ice fish finders. To get easier viewing angle I was turning over a five gallon bucket anyway in the past. All the manufacturer's shuttles to me are an unneeded expense.

I mean everyone has 5 gallon buckets laying around. A trip to the local Lowe's, Home Depot and you can find metal bars that are easy to cut.

Total investment is way less plus the utility is improved. I also incorporated carrying handles and transducer arms to eliminate the floats on the transducers. The Garmin package weighs about 12 lb battery and all. ( LifePO4  batteries ) and the Hummer is around 10 lb. Hole hopping is easier and stationary fishing is lot easier on the back.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.