Author Topic: Helix 5 - settings  (Read 5987 times)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Helix 5 - settings
« on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:04 AM »
Last night I took out my new Helix 5 to give it a trial run and while I was able to get most of my settings sorted:

Sensitivity:  18
Contrast:  20
Chart Speed:  5
Sonar Colors 6
Surface Clutter:  1
Zoom Width:  Medium
ICe Fishing Mode:  Off

Obviously I am going to have to keep playing with everything but there were a couple of things I can't seem to find:

1.  How do you adjust the display brightness?  At night it was pretty much blinding even with the black background

2.  Is there a way to adjust the lower range auto setting to not be at a 10' interval?  I was fishing in 9.5 fow and more than half of the screen was wasted with bottom.  I ended up changing the lower range to a fixed depth.

How much fiddling with settings do you all do on your helix 5's trip to trip? 

Appreciate the insights.  Also the maiden voyage of the unit coincided with my jigging up my first northern and getting it up through the ice  ;D
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Helix 5 - settings
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:14 AM »
1. Push the power button (push, not hold) and a menu will come up with brightness settings.

2. Under the menu there is a "lower range" setting that has auto or adjustable settings. I never use auto.

All I ever adjust is the screen brightness, gain, interference rejection, bottom range and zoom.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:18 AM »
turn on advanced mode, manually set the max depth - manually adjust upper/lower range as needed
set chart speed to max/ultra

Catchin' Fish

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:28 AM »
1. Push the power button (push, not hold) and a menu will come up with brightness settings.

2. Under the menu there is a "lower range" setting that has auto or adjustable settings. I never use auto.

All I ever adjust is the screen brightness, gain, interference rejection, bottom range and zoom.

I wish I would have thought to send a message out from my phone last night - THANK YOU!

It's clearly going to take a while to get everything sorted out but that's very helpful.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:33 AM »
turn on advanced mode, manually set the max depth - manually adjust upper/lower range as needed
set chart speed to max/ultra

Does the faster chart speed impact your battery life at all?

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:42 AM »
I greatly prefer running a slow chart speed so I can look away and not miss anything

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.