Author Topic: flashers in open water???????????  (Read 3259 times)

wendall

flashers in open water???????????
« on: Mar 17, 2003, 05:41 AM »
does anyone use them in open water?  would you be able to just set the transducer over the edge of the boat?  i was thinking this would be good for jigging for walleyes or anything else.  what about those new locators that are the lcd and flasher type.  are they comparable to a vex or marcum???  

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
Re: flashers in open water???????????
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2003, 10:22 AM »
JUST GOT A VEXILAR THIS YEAR I HEAD THAT IT CAN BE USED IN OPEN I'M GOING TO FIND OUT VERY SHORTLY.......
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

wendall

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2003, 10:26 AM »
shoot me an email and let me know the results.

[email protected]    

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2003, 02:28 PM »
my buddy has used his in open water to get an idea of where the drop off is and if there are any suspended eyes there i dont know how good it worked   i would imagine it would work better on calmer days then rough days but thats just a thought
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2003, 03:15 PM »
I used my Zercom Marine Clearwater Classic (flasher) for both ice fishing and open water fishing for many years. I used a high speed transducer mounted on a portable transducer holder that clamped to the side of the boat and left my flasher with the same portable setup as for ice fishing. I would put the flasher on the floor of the boat and hook up the portable transducer holder and I was ready to go. I am doing the same thing with the FL-18. If you decide to use the ice fishing setup (iceducer) and just put it over the side I would suggest doing it on a calm day and anchoring. Good luck !
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
Re:flashers in open water???????????
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2003, 08:27 PM »
Wendell, heck yea thats what they were manufactured for, and some guys are still using those 1960s and 1970s units. We have a few expensive$$$ bass boats in my area that tour the circuit that like them better than graphs or lcds. Bought my hondex fl-8 in 1989 and used it for ICE and for jigging walleyes of the side of my canoe, cool ;D

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2003, 09:08 PM »
Vexilar makes a high speed transducer for the FL-8 and FL-18 that you can mount right to your boat, I'd HIGHLY recommend that over attempting to use the iceducer over the side of the boat.  

Consider this when thinking about using a flasher in open water.  Al Linder, Supreme Fishing God of All Time, has one mounted on the front of his boat.    Enuff said  ;D

wendall

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2003, 07:07 AM »
I just bought an older flasher over the summer.  It is something out of the 70's.  It is one of the Heathkit flashers.  Everything seems to work on it, I haven't had it out on the water yet.  I can't wait to try it on the ice.  I really would have liked to have gotten a newer one, but my funds at the time (and my old lady) wouldn't allow it.  Hopefully this one gets the job done.  Who knows, maybe it will prove the saying that they don't make them like they used to.

Offline g3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • life is good!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2003, 04:11 AM »
  :Di just got a fl-18 too,i sent for the puck style transducer and the suction cup mount for it,soo as i get al the "stuff" i'm gonna try to rig it up for my boat too.i'll post the results.

Offline g3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • life is good!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2003, 04:29 AM »
i got the puck style 19 degree transducer,i used 1 1/2 inch pvc pip with two elbows,mounted the transducer on one elbow at the bottom then a 15 peice of straight pipe,another elbow and then 13 inches of pipe fastened to my boat with a  galavnized wall clamp,everything moves when the boat moves so there is no flopping around,nice and solid.. :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.