Author Topic: Digital sonars  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Digital sonars
« on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:51 PM »
I have the Marcum Showdown, this is the first year I really got to use it and went from often getting skunked to days with 100ish panfish. Realized how helpful a sonar is, so now I kinda wanna have time to research, save, and upgrade to better target seperation and maybe some color. I like the vertical vs the circle, but I'm sure I would enjoy either. Will have a hard time telling the wife Im spending over $500, so will probably have to be an ebay or clearance sale deal.
I saw the Marcum lx-6 and lx-7. What other ones are in that category that I should consider?  Open to other brands just have no experience with any sonar till this year so not sure what I should look at or avoid.

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Digital sonars
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:03 PM »
You might want to look into a Lowrance Hook 5, Hummingbird Helix 5 or 7 etc... The flashers are OK but these units are great for the price, they do have a flasher mode which will not be used, they can be used in summer on your boat, and after having a flasher for many years I'm glad I switched. The hook 5 ice machine was $299.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:48 PM »
If you like the vertical display, get yourself a graph and gps. The far right with amplitude scope is the same as your vertical display but it shows history of jig stroke and reaction, and if something swam by when you weren’t paying attention. I have a lowrance 4x chirp (the x means no gps) with ice pack, good price for a good unit. But don’t be like me, dont  skimp on gps with lake maps. Get a different transducer and you can also use graph units on a boat or canoe.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:05 AM »
yours has a 1/2" target separation already same as lx6/7/9 has. why not use what you have, you chose it for some reason.
http://usa.rapala.com/catalog/iceforce/#30

the only thing other than color your missing is graph and dual beam. yours has wide beam only. i don't like using that beam is one of the reasons i wouldn't buy a showdown. it used to be dual beam.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:15 AM »
yours has a 1/2" target separation already same as lx6/7/9 has. why not use what you have, you chose it for some reason.

the only thing other than color your missing is graph and dual beam. yours has wide beam only. i don't like using that beam is one of the reasons i wouldn't buy a showdown. it used to be dual beam.

My showdown is dual beam! I would say color is reason enough to change. Lx series are great.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:19 AM »
I have a Lowrance x510c. They don't make them anymore, but you can still get them on ebay for a good price. I'm thinking of buying another one off ebay so when my craps out I have another one. It has the graph and the flasher mode. I have tried the flasher mode, but my personal preference is the graph style. If/when mine dies I will get another graph type. But that's my personal preference.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:34 AM »
I've used my Lowrance X-67c for quite a while. I just recently upgraded to the new Humminbird Helix5 -G2 GPS portable unit. Unbelievable all the things it can do. Vertical graph, flasher/vertical, graph, 8x zoom, any display combo that you can think of. Dual beam shows fish in weeds. The Hook units have similar features. It's a tough decision to make on which one. Helix GPS mapping features and built in charts are great.

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:01 PM »

I am currently using a "Showdown 5.6" which comes in 2 flavors narrow or dual beam. Prior to Marcum's production of this unit it was marketed by "Aqua View" and was known as a VPG. (vertical pixel graph). Not a very snappy name to say the least.. I'm going back at least a dozen or more years to the time when Aqua View produced the product originally. In either instance, I have the paperwork for both types, there was never any owner options with the narrow beam unit to be upgraded to a dual beam. As far as 1/2" target separation and it does do that. In my experience using the product, it's being able to see where the jig is that's important. It is easily done with the showdown and a 1/64z jig and a wax worm for instance. The fish if present will be more than obvious too. It's never been a big issue to me not having a dual beam. Those targets that show on the edges of that sensing area in a wider beam format might not be attracted to your jigging down the hole the transducer is in anyway. They just could be to far away. It's hard to tell about that too. I love my ShowDown! :o :tipup: :tipup: ::)
ttt

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2018, 08:19 PM »
I was wondering if I could swap in the dual beam... looks like no. I'm sure its just my lack of knowledge on the Showdown but there are times where my jig disappears  and other times it shows up huge. It definitely has upped my game, but I feel like there are others that would fit me better, and my brother would gladly buy it off me if I got a new unit.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Might look at a used LX7 it has everything you’re looking for and then some. Watch some utube vids.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01:02 PM »
really like my garmin striker 4. as said A-scope with graph is the bomb. have not used the GPS yet. about 170$ if you find them on sale.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01:45 PM »
I bought a Showdown last year.  It has been everything I'd hope for - incredibly simple to use, sensitive (my sensitivity is never on more than 3), and the vertical display/lack of noise fits my preferences.

One other note - I believe they 'play' well with other brands, which is important for those who fish in groups.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.