Author Topic: Favorite Fillet Knife  (Read 7989 times)

Offline ISU_Cake

• IceShanty Rookie
Favorite Fillet Knife
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:25 PM »
If anyone else is like me... I have bought, lost, bought, and found many different and identical fillet knives. I am in the buying stage again and was just curious which knives Iceshanty Nation prefers.
So what kind of knife do you reach for?  ??? ;D
Living the Dream

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Favorite Fillet Knife
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:29 PM »
I have had a few.  The one I have liked the best so far is a Rada fillet knife.  Made in the USA, made well, great handle, and not terribly expensive. 
I have always wanted to try one of the leech lake knives but theyre a little too spendy for me, I have heard good things about them.
If you go with the Rada I would also get their sharpener, it works good.  Theres a kit on sale at amazon right now, good price.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001GXMF30/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515529825&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rada+fillet+knife&dpPl=1&dpID=41XZX9kSCCL&ref=plSrch

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:34 PM »
I recently got this American Angler electric fillet knife.  I also got the 5.5" blade for doing panfish.  I've used it once and am pretty impressed.  It makes quick work of filleting crappie. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JBWF9E0/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_2_w

Still used my soft handled Rapala for the detail work to cut out the rib area and trim off any skin that may have been left.

https://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Fillet-Single-Sharpener-Sheath/dp/B001NXC5Z6/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1515530069&sr=1-2&keywords=rapala%2Bfillet%2Bknife&th=1&psc=1
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Cutco Fisherman's Solution. Blade extends from 6" to 9" for any size job. Made in america. Lifetime guarantee, free lifetime sharpening (even without original receipt). Hard side sheaths are really nice. Handle gets good grip. I grew up 20 minutes down the road from the main cutco plant and they one of the few businesses keeping this area afloat. A little pricey but it's the last you'll ever buy. Well worth every penny.
"Yeah, well, listen Dr. D*pcrap - you've obviously never been ice fishing before.
No, I haven't.
Well it's f*cking exhilarating."
-Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:37 PM »
For my work with trout and salmon, the all-time favorite is the rapala soft grip.  Dishwasher safe, takes and keeps an edge well.  Great knife.  I also use the 6" for butchering deer.

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:48 PM »
For ice fishing, I’d have to say my old Wooden handled 6 inch Rapala filleting knife.  After 50 years the blade looks more like an ice pick but it can pop out a perch eye for my second fish in less than a second.

The steel always takes a surgical edge to a diamond lap and for filleting perch, there’s none better...and I’ve owned many brands and sizes.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:53 PM »
 agree with the birch handle rapalas.  great value.  also really like my leech lake knife but it stays at home so it doesn't end up in a snow bank or down a hole.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:54 PM »
I have to admit, the Rapala Fillet knife is great...my old man, claimed mine...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DrewFlu33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Depending on what you're filleting with the knife, I've not had one I like more than the Morakniv "Fishing Comfort" 6.1 inch for filleting everything up to large walleyes and medium pike. Here's a link.

If you're sticking solely to panfish I suppose the 3.5 inch may be something to consider.  That being said, I've been able to make quick work of bluegills, crappie, and perch with the larger blade on many occasions.   The one time when I wasn't really happy with this knife was when trying to fillet up some large steelhead.  These fish were north of 7 lbs (one approaching 10) and though I was able to get them done, this knife simply wasn't large enough for the task.

I've used a bunch of lower end knives as well as some higher end ones.  This one provides a perfect (to me, anyhow) amount of blade flex, is sharp right out of the packaging, will hold an edge well, and is easy to sharpen. It's Swedish made, and I'm 99% sure the Morakniv name is shortened to "Mora" when the same company produces ice auger blades which make their way onto Strikemaster augers.  For those not familiar, their ice auger blades are very good as well.

Aside from the obvious cost savings of going with a cheaper knife, I've personally had a tough time with higher end knives due to the difficulty in sharpening them when that time comes.  It's a double-edged sword (pun intended) - clearly higher quality steel on high end knives holds an edge for longer, but when it's time for sharpening, that steel is also much harder to hone to a razor sharp edge.  I think this is especially a concern for fillet knives where there's such a fine line between sharp and dangerously dull.  Given that I'm no whetstone wizard and that I'm not a huge fish eater anyhow, this one has been a great buy for me.  A few swipes on a cheap wedge-style sharpener and you're processing fish again.

I did just get a Worksharp for Christmas, so maybe a high end knife will be in my future.  For right now, I'm very happy with the Morakniv.

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:58 PM »
I used just about every one, including electric (which have their place), but for my knife work I use a Leech Lake....stays sharp forever ,each one with a unique handle and when it does need it the sharpening they di it for you free...I've had 2 for 8yrs now and only had 1 in for sharpening.......took 2 weeks.....
Pricey but worth every penny..... 
http://www.leechlakeknife.com/Home.html
https://www.scheels.com/p/leech-lake-custom-made-fillet-knife/48000011120.html

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:02 PM »
I picked up a leech lake filet knife a few years ago & gave away my rapala. ;)

https://www.reedssports.com/leech-lake-knives/leech-lake-knives-7.5-fillet-knife-onyx-264176

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:06 PM »
The Leech lake knife is very nice if you have the cash take a look.
I have an American Angler that I love but don’t use anymore, just don’t clean as many fish as I used to.
The knife I use when I clean is a Schrade Uncle Henery. 7” been using this for 25 c years.
Not suggesting you buy any of these just saying what I use.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:48 PM »
I have piles of the Rapalas, both wood and rubber handle, great knives that have served well over the years. I switched to a Wusthof 7" a couple years ago and LOVE it, a little spendy but holds a great edge, couple swipes on the honing steel after a pile of fish and back to cutting like new.
Have been eyeballing the bubba blades for something to rip through vs finesse, haven't given it a shot yet though...
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:54 PM »
I use the cheapy rapala birch handles, buy a 4 inch and a 6 inch every year. I clean enough fish that by the end of the year between open water and ice, they are shot. They can take about ten times threw the sharpener... and then i pitch them, or give them to some kid. I have a leech lake one at the house for the kitchen, but damn i would feel bad losing that on a fishing trip and i never know where i am gonna clean fish so it just stays home.

They are my favorite, just because of the price tag, damn hard to beat, and everyone is always shocked when i whip out the 4 inch knife but i can clean a big walleye faster with it then most guys with an electric and get more meat to boot, just far more control.  Then use the 6 inch to skin, or butcher a big pike.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2018, 04:09 PM »
In my bag of fillet knives I have (a)Rapala  (b) Uncle Henry (c)Rada (d)Leech Lake   

Just cleaned a batch of crappies using my ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (c) Rada knife.  All my knives work, but I do like the Rada the best.  The Leech Lake and the Rada both have a similar blade thickness and flex but the Rada handle has a better fit in my hand.  I'm sure the hand to handle "fit" is a very personal thing and affects each of us in choosing our "favorite".
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2018, 04:13 PM »
Ive got a rapala gold medallion that i really like. Long flexible blade and super sharp...and stays that way..when it does start to dull doesnt take a whole lot to get it back to razor sharp
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2018, 04:24 PM »
I've a couple of Leech Lake knives and couple of the generic LL knives.   Unless you want the backside sharp side,  these are same knives. 

http://www.customcutlery.com/fillet.html
Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2018, 04:33 PM »
I use my Leech Lake 7.5 inch fillet knife. If I am fishing with a large group and we have a ton of fish to clean, I will use my Rapala Electric fillet knife.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:11 PM »
The knife I use when I clean is a Schrade Uncle Henery. 7” been using this for 25 c years.

Same here, I have two, I think the 7" is called the steelhead. I prefer the 7" blade for most things.. You can still buy USA made ones on eBay..

The knife on the bottom is used as a scaler..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:16 PM »
For normal walleye a mister twister or rapala electric works well for me.

When doing panfish like crappie the fist cut happens with a leech lake knife.

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:16 PM »
For ice fishing, I’d have to say my old Wooden handled 6 inch Rapala filleting knife.  After 50 years the blade looks more like an ice pick but it can pop out a perch eye for my second fish in less than a second.

The steel always takes a surgical edge to a diamond lap and for filleting perch, there’s none better...and I’ve owned many brands and sizes.

I agree. No comparison and nothing better for the price.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Best ergonomics knife for me was a G96 , bought in 1980. There were two versions, mine was the narrow blade. Water got into the handle and split it somewhat. Still works well. My current is a Knives of Alaska, long flexi blade.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:21 PM »
Wow, no vote for victorinox knives yet?  Check them out on amazon.

The rapalas are actually decent too

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Uncle bought me a buck brand filet knife and I love it. Super sharp. Comfortable in my hand. It also folds which is convenient for storage or travel.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:57 PM »
Day in day out I like the old reliable Rapala knives. Newer ones don't seem to be as good, go back 20 years and they're better. Also got a pair of Chicago Cutlery I bought maybe 30 years ago. 6" blades, a little stiffer than the Rap steel but very, very sharp. Like others, these are my choice for venison processing, terrific boners and trimmers!

If there's lots of larger fish (pike or walleye) I like an electric for slabbing sides and finishing with blades. Nothin' special on the electric - Hamilton Beach cheapie.

Always pack a 4" Rap blade. never know when you might want a quick meal... You can do a lot with a small blade.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:10 PM »
wood handle rapala.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Ive got a rapala gold medallion that i really like. Long flexible blade and super sharp...and stays that way..when it does start to dull doesnt take a whole lot to get it back to razor sharp

X2
Thread killer

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:13 PM »
A sharp one !!
Westerner by birth, Canadian by law, Albertan by the grace of God.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Well... if you're talkin' fixed blade and not electric, I have a host of filet knives that I like and use. Older Rapala's (before China), Victorinox, Chicago Cutlery (again, before China), Dexter Russel, and Buck in blade lengths from 5" to 9". I prefer a carbon steel (5 stars) or carbon stainless blend (3 stars) and wouldn't even waste my time with a straight stainless steel blade. Carbon steel holds an edge better than stainless carbon blends but requires a little maintenance. I always wash and hand dry any of my knives after using, but I put a thin coat of mineral oil on the blade of my carbon steel knives before putting them away. My filet knives are dual purpose knives, I use them when butchering my deer and preparing my cuts of meat as well as filleting fish.

WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:04 PM »
Leach lake
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.