Author Topic: Sylvan, record time!  (Read 1750 times)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sylvan, record time!
« on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:32 PM »
I've been fishing Pigeon for about 5 weeks in a row for whites.  No luck in landing one yet this year.  I've had them to the bottom of the hole, came close, but zero.  That lake is a tough one...can't wait to get back to it :)

I need whites for XMas so I had the plan to fish ole reliable Sylvan this morning as a final backup to get some whites.  I kind of thought that if I could get my limit in 2 hours that it would be an amazing day.  Got there at 8 a.m. and setup.  Still too dark to fish so I waited in the tent with the heater getting nice and toasty.   Finally started fishing just after 8:30 a.m.  Hard to see, water was bit murky.  Well crap if I didn't see something around the hook but couldn't tell.  Eventually I did see a white swirling around.  It took the hook about 3 feet under the ice and it was game on.   A really good fight and when I landed the white, it was a solid 17 inches...which is big for sylvan.  The fishing was hot.  By 8:55, just after sunrise, I had my 5 on the ice.   That is record setting time of less than 25 minutes!   So, packed up and headed home at 9 a.m. ....
Driving 2.5 for a 25 minutes fishing trip seems a bit odd but I have stuff to get ready and hey, what  a friggin amazing quick trip!

Biggest tapped out at 18 inches, 2 at 17 inches, 1 at 16 inches and then the baby just shy of 16.    Nice sizes for Sylvan.  There is going to be fresh smoked white appetizers for XMas after all :)

Offline captainslug

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sylvan, record time!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Nice!
Just remember the worst day of fishing is still better than the best day at work!

Offline 338Bluff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Good job. Looking at forecast and it's a teeny tiny bit warmer the further south  west you go. Sylvan might have to suffice for Boxing Day.

Offline kedzman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2017, 01:11 PM »
wicked catch snap!!
seeing as you fish sylvan regularly, see any of these monster pike that are rumoured to be in there??

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2017, 02:08 PM »
wicked catch snap!!
seeing as you fish sylvan regularly, see any of these monster pike that are rumoured to be in there??

Once in a while, I do.  Some big ones in there.  Usually just after landing a white a pike will show up.  My PB pike was caught there 19+ lbs on new years day a couple years ago.  I've had and lost one that was pushing 26 lbs.

Offline kedzman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2017, 01:00 AM »
Monsters!! might have to venture that way and set out some big tip ups up  ;)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:11 PM »
Monsters!! might have to venture that way and set out some big tip ups up  ;)

Just a few teasers over the years.

2008 - 13+ lber caught while fishing for whites at Sylvan.

:roflmao:  Video of the estimated 26lber the very next day.   If you pause near the beginning you can see that the back of that fish - easily 5 inches across...that is a 10 inch hole.  Fought her for 20 minutes...again on my whitefish rod...6 lb flouro leader and 8 lb mono ice.  You can listen closely and hear the line snap cleanly at the end.  And no, not how I got my nick name.
https://youtu.be/-DEksrVJqQM

PB pike from new years day 2015 again fishing for whites and again on the same rod and line.  Went 19.1 on the scale

Just pretend you are fishing for whites and you won't be able to keep them off  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.