Author Topic: Lightweight 8x7  (Read 4945 times)

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lightweight 8x7
« on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:11 PM »
Got a start on my lightweight.  Sticker shock on the material, underestimated quantity, need more.  Trying the postimage way.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lightweight 8x7
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:34 PM »
Looking good so far..

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2017, 08:33 PM »
Making progress.  Too cold to fish anyway

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Waiting for the holidays to be over so I can get the rest of the tubing I need to finish framing the roof and sidewall bracing. Cut the floor, seats and kick panels, then just had to cut and fit some of the insulation to get a feel of the inside space. Too cold in the garage to paint and varnish the wood, been down to -35 C here at times, heat wave coming end of the week, forecast -6C.  Meantime will be able to finish the door, do some corner braces and start on the runners.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:33 PM »
Nice work, what are you using to cover the outside?

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Lookin' good!!
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:06 PM »
Very nice job. Man, I have got to learn to weld aluminum!

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Got a good deal on some Sintra board, unfortunately, not all the same color. Interweb tells me it should paint easy. Might just leave it multi color. When it's to that point I'll take a poll, see what the the opinions are here.  First crack at welding with my spool gun, tig would be too slow. Lots of finishing ideas bouncing around in my head.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2018, 09:20 PM »
Mind sharing what you are using for a spool gun?

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Bought a Lincoln 210MP  with the spool gun a while back. Used the mig and stick functions lots, just now have the need to use it.

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:41 PM »
How's the shack coming? I wish I knew how to weld! Any tips on where to start?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:03 AM »
How's the shack coming? I wish I knew how to weld! Any tips on where to start?

Take welding at a school..  I did in eleventh and twelveth grade  thwn went to college and took auto body and mechanics while doing my hvac and electriAL trade classes..

The school I went to did those fancy show cars and you learned how to lower suspension ,paint as in air bush murals etc..  sup up engines all aspects theres more details to this..  Like how to make a car hook and launch off the line.. super chargers/turbo  chargers and carberators to fuel injection.. and even intakes manifods like dual versus single plane intakes.. and even math like volumetric effecenty like thete no replacement for displacement.. type math .. Funny thing Is my career as a mechanic pays better then my carrer as a hvac tech or a electrician..learned a lot of stuff in college like to search out your career before you apply to college.. you plan to atend by seach out...  I mean do research see what positions are hiring see what they make a year/ hr..  and compare to others on that list... and find out if there will be jobs in future enough to retire off of?? I looked at welding as a carrer but skipped It cause detroit is the motor city.. and could not get hired for more then $7.5 a hour and 90%were production shops a production shop is the fast food of welding .. by the way mc Donalds paid employees $8.5 a hour wile I made $7.5 a hour... and 10% off those shops hired people as apprentices and that paid $8.5 a hour with options on making up to like $18 a hour. Before you retire..  but with automotive Carreras they pay bether and a way easier to learn and live off of.. I have the potential to make $$40 a hour before I retire..

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:45 AM »
Thanks a ton! This has really helped, I can take welding next year as a "Career center/ tech center" class, so I plan to do so and sign up!!

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:13 AM »
Been a mechanic all my life, started apprenticeship in 1967. Also been building stuff since then.  Did up a dune buggy in 69, from a pic in a mag.  Based on the Funco Bandido, was my summer daily driver. A little off topic, but has to do with getting the experience to build things, needed or wanted. In this case, my shack. Being able to visualize a project and plan construction, sometimes just from a pic, gives a sense of accomplishment. Also wows the crowd and makes for good BS sessions, on the ice in this case. When I'm out with my track sled, half the time is spent with people curious about the machine.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Looks great so far Bender, I did the same sorta thing, looked at all kinds of designs and settled on the same one .
I built mine from wood and estimate it weighs 1000 lbs !
Looks like you'll be well under that, I also put a small wood stove in for heat, cant beat wood heat.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:11 PM »

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Thanks a ton! This has really helped, I can take welding next year as a "Career center/ tech center" class, so I plan to do so and sign up!!

Your better  of becoming a diesel mechanic around here cause it pays way better then a welder..   so check your local papers with want adds, shingles ,etc.. see if you can find jobs to make a living off welding.. some areas like detroit it is not posible.. there maybe 3 job avaible for 15 yrs and get filled way to quick.. so pay attenion up till you decide on the want adds..  as for mechanic look in to diesel mechanics  best paid part of the  field out there in the mechanics trade..  nice thing about welding if you go to school learn welding it helps you in diesel mechanics..  welding exhaust frames etc all the way to bush fixes on mineing and fishing machines/vessels like in the bush...  of Alaska canada and south America and Africa and even the oil well and platforms of Texas, Louisiana,Mississippi,  florida, Canada ,Alaska ,and etc.. there to many welder around detroit to make money with no demand for it .. that's why diesel mechanics pays way better around here.. compared to welding.. the diesel trade maybe the same were you are but welding will help!!

no matter what you do take it seriously..

on the extrem end diesel mechanic can make $100-150 a hour in the bush it is hard work but your good at it pays off .. diesel mechanics around here make up to $40 a hour big difference if you ask me? Welder around $18hr big difference between welding and mechanics.. it is all about supply and demand.. schools supply and industy demands..  it's not uncommon for welders to make $100 to $150 a hour on oil Platforms those are welder/divers.. pays well that's why I say do research before you commit to the idea cause student loan and owing money from now to the end of your life is possible.. if you don't make enough to pay it back...  what good is learning that trade in college???  Or if you can't find jobs what good is the trade ?? Most of all noticed this with friends/fammily cause they had to lose there degree cause of student debt.. cause they took engineering in specialized fields in like brake pad engineering or even in forensic science..  wich those type  fields the michigan state police hire once every 50 years same with the fbi.. sister got the forensic science degree at msu and was not worth a darn thing..  to get a job with she did not realize they don't hire..  at least my parent talked her in to a few extra credits to get a chemistry degree..  wich helped here pay off the owed money .. and go back to school..  and get another degree and pay other school money  off.. now shes working at gm now.. etc..  etc.. seriously do research on any thing your investing money in and education is one of them!!

I know doing the welding in high school is free usually.. but remember your there to learn not screw around right?? And you can always switch trade in college?? to some thing that pays better at that point..  but it's up to you and what you find out about were you live and the career paths you decide on..  just giving advise so you don't make a big mistake money wise..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:53 PM »
A little off topic, but has to do with getting the experience to build things, needed or wanted.

Also wows the crowd and makes for good BS sessions, on the ice in this case.

You do very good work and thank you for let us get a little off topic..  lols let get back on track lol's..

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Back on topic.  Bending metal. Rolling my own.  Used my home built tube roller to make the roof bars for the shanty. 

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:53 AM »
Looking good metalbender, I love the arched roof,are you planning on a main ridge beam ?
That's what carries the weight of the cantilever benches .
With my hut its the back bone of the whole thing.

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:42 AM »
This is an awesome build Man :) keep the pictures and updates rolling in!!

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:46 PM »
Making progress, frame is about done. According to the supplier's bills, I've got 175 lbs into it so far.  Hoping for 350 lbs max insulated and covered.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:36 AM »
great progress , going to be a awesome shanty .

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:17 AM »
Willy really likes!

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:21 AM »
Getting there slowly. Arthritis makes everything go in slow motion.  Most of  the insulation bits are cut and fit. Front end is framed out for a removable panel to accommodate a wood stove module that could be put on as required. Have a 22 inch tv with integral dvd to install for direct camera viewing. Will use my Optima trolling battery along with a power inveter and a 32 watt solar panel.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2018, 02:18 PM »
Hey Bender have you given any thought to maybe some expanding foam in the end of the tubes that are open ?

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2018, 03:59 PM »
Good thought, I'll have to get some anyway to seal up minor gaps.  The outer skin should cover them though.

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:55 AM »
Putting on an outer skin will mean that your insulation is on backwards. Reflective styrofoam acts as a radiant heat barrier, and it can be applied on either the cold or hot side, but it needs an open air space to radiate into. You'll still have the insulation value that the styrofoam gives but the reflective benefit will be largely lost.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:28 AM »
My thoughts are that the heat will be reflected back to the interior of the shack.  Need to cover up the framing to prevent condensation and cold transfer. I've still got a half roll of the foil bubble insulation from a previous project.  Keeping cold air entry to a minimum is part of the equation.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Chateau Lego is born.  With those colors, I won't misplace the thing.  One led lights it up pretty good inside.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.