Author Topic: Need another flasher!!! Opinions?  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need another flasher!!! Opinions?
« on: Jan 22, 2016, 10:27 AM »
Alright guys I currently own a vex fl18 and love it by all means, looking at picking up another set up for when me and the pops get out. Thinking about a fl20 or 28, and wanting to know if the price difference is justified from just getting another 18. Any help is Appriciated.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Need another flasher!!! Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2016, 10:46 AM »
If this is going to be a spare unit (for your father/others) and your father isn't tech savvy and doesn't want to do the split screen math ..I'd suggest the FL12 ...Genz pack ..not a round base but save you some money ..has low power .The other units are all good ..w/minor bells and whistles for my taste from the FL 18 .

hope it helps ...

Couple years ago I face lifted my 10+ yoa Vexilar FL 18 w/12 *  w/the old pro case ..to Ultra case and  TriBeam and the DD100....over the summer I was able to get an FL12 head unit only via Amazon  ..so all my "extra" parts were just recycled into my spare/extra unit ...works well an EZPZ to use for those not flasher/tech savvy. I will say the flat screens do get some glare in sunlight ..lil annoying if you fishing with wind and sun at your back .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:04 AM »
If you're a Vexlar fan, I'd get a Flx28 with Tribeam and make your 18 the one you loan out.

Offline AyrshireBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lucky to go
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:27 AM »
just saw that a certain sporting goods store has FL8 genz pack, with mag shield, no tax, free shipping for 259.00.....
Take a kid fishing!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:31 AM »
just saw that a certain sporting goods store has FL8 genz pack, with mag shield, no tax, free shipping for 259.00.....

that's a good deal ..that Genz case is a Tonka truck ..and the FL18 is bullet proof ....
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:00 PM »
If you're doing a lot of deeper water fishing spring for something with zoom like the FL20 otherwise the FL12 is bulletproof! I had an FL12 and bought a second unit this year so my girlfriend would stop stealing my FL12.. I went with the FL20 so I would at least get something out of the deal : ) zoom is real nice for laker fishing and perch fishing over 20 or so feet of water.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:06 PM »
If you're a Vexlar fan, I'd get a Flx28 with Tribeam and make your 18 the one you loan out.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:10 PM »
28     has weed mode     

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:11 PM »
if your going vexilar get a fl20 or flx28.

Offline Chas0218

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:11 PM »
Humminbird!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:49 PM »
FLX28 all the way.

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:48 PM »
Went with the 20 ultra pack with digital depth and dual beam transducer add on  :thumbsup:

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:54 PM »
Went with the 20 ultra pack with digital depth and dual beam transducer add on  :thumbsup:

WOW that was fast ....hope you got a good deal ..you go through Vexilar ? Curious about the dual beam add on ? ? ?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:55 PM »
WOW that was fast ....hope you got a good deal ..you go through Vexilar ? Curious about the dual beam add on ? ? ?
dual beam add on has me curious too.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2016, 03:12 PM »
The Proview ducer is the one you want if your looking for an upgrade.  Rather than being limited to a certain degree cone, it widens the sonar cone based on how much gain you use.  I really like that ducer a lot!

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2016, 04:07 PM »
This one has a switch to go from 9 to 12, chit I don't know the one I got now is only a 9*? Flasher was 465 from glens, got the dual beam whatever the hell it is from eBay for 30 bucks, guess if it ain't no good I will go with the proview you mentioned. They have a proview 9 and a proview 12, what's the dif?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2016, 04:14 PM »
This one has a switch to go from 9 to 12, chit I don't know the one I got now is only a 9*? Flasher was 465 from glens, got the dual beam whatever the hell it is from eBay for 30 bucks, guess if it ain't no good I will go with the proview you mentioned. They have a proview 9 and a proview 12, what's the dif?
what ducer came with the ultra pack fl20 from glens?good deal on the dual beam if it works.the proview is a 9 degree that widens with the gain up to almost 40 degrees.never heard of a proview 12.

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2016, 05:09 PM »
what ducer came with the ultra pack fl20 from glens?good deal on the dual beam if it works.the proview is a 9 degree that widens with the gain up to almost 40 degrees.never heard of a proview 12.
The proview is comming with it, it does not give me any specs on the ducer itself on glens though. So if I am understanding you guys right the proview is the go to and I should just keep the other as a spare maybe? This gain thing has me flat out confused though, I normally only use the gain when in real shallow and running on low power mode in AZ. Any eleboration on this new fangled gadgetry is Appriciated. Who never adding another unit would cause me such a headache :%$#!:

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2016, 05:24 PM »
Good videos ...My understanding is the out going signal is always at full strength ...the gain lets you interrupt  how much of the return signal gets displayed ... with the Proview  its supposes to have "infinite" adjustment ..I just didn't want to be fussing with the fine tuning aspects that others have encountered .

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2016, 05:46 PM »
Good videos ...My understanding is the outing signal is always going full strength ...the gain lets you interrupt  how much of the return signal gets displayed ... with the Proview  its supposes to have "infinite" adjustment ..I just didn't want to be fussing with the fine tuning aspects that others have encountered .

2nd video makes it all clear now, clear in the fact that shouldn't have bought that damn dual beam whatever the hell it is  :cookoo:, shows up we'd so gonna have to head out and play with it before tournament next saturday. Thsnks for the help guys

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:27 PM »
It's just like the marcum/vexilar debate. You have tri beam supporters and you have proview supporters! I have had my FLX28 for two years and I love the proview! My buddy swears by the tri beam! In my opinion... All that matters is it does what you need it to, and it's a vex!!! Happy fishing!!!

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:33 PM »
28     has weed mode   

In all seriousness, is the weed mode worth it? I have a FL18 with low power, isn't weed mode the same thing?

Go Beavers!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:48 PM »
In all seriousness, is the weed mode worth it? I have a FL18 with low power, isn't weed mode the same thing?

I think it is worth it.  I have lp on the flx and can use it in weeds but you lose some definition and target seperation in low power.  With weed mode that isnt an issue and really helpful when fishing deep grass or deep weedbeds.  LP will not help you there.

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:23 PM »
It's just like the marcum/vexilar debate. You have tri beam supporters and you have proview supporters! I have had my FLX28 for two years and I love the proview! My buddy swears by the tri beam! In my opinion... All that matters is it does what you need it to, and it's a vex!!! Happy fishing!!!

yup! all that matters to me is I got a new toy to play with  ;D

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:49 PM »
I have had the 20 and now the 28, both with proview , the thing that I liked about the 20 is being able to use LP and zoom at the same time fishing shallow water. Some would consider it a step backwards but I still would like to have the 20 instead of the 28.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:20 PM »
I have had the 20 and now the 28, both with proview , the thing that I liked about the 20 is being able to use LP and zoom at the same time fishing shallow water. Some would consider it a step backwards but I still would like to have the 20 instead of the 28.
If you want to use the FLX 28 in Low power and zoom mode at the same time you can. With your 28 turned off set your mode switch to the LP setting, push and hold the gain knob at the same time as you turn your unit on. You will see Low power on the bottom of the display. The unit will be locked into Low power and now you can use the zoom and low power at the same time. It will stay in low power until you turn the unit off. 
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:51 PM »
LP and zoom at same time? What depth does that require? Never had the need to do so?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2016, 06:57 AM »
Page 26 explains how to get to weed mode ...must be in normal mode ..then set to weed mode per instructions ... then you can go to other settings according to the manual

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6O6hqT9O0J6OVY5bnRRMjRWWTQ&usp=drive_web

it may work while in another mode then set in weed mode...but that's what the manual states

I would like to see it in action/weedy environment ...normal...low power ....weed mode ...weed mode and low power

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.