Author Topic: Need a ultra light pole  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need a ultra light pole
« on: Aug 24, 2015, 02:23 PM »
Im in the market for a decent ultra light pole for panfish. Preferably $25-$30 or lower. I want to be able to detect the lightest bite. Also What kind of line should I use for panfish?
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Need a ultra light pole
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2015, 06:58 PM »
I love my st Croix premier, 28" UL. have been using it for 4 years. Have caught gills, crappie, perch, smallies and LM.

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2015, 07:05 PM »
I love my st Croix premier, 28" UL. have been using it for 4 years. Have caught gills, crappie, perch, smallies and LM.
Agreed 100%, St Croix makes some AMAZING light rods especially if you buy them with the spring bobber. Also, even though it's a little bit ritzier, I would HIGHLY recommend the Tickle Stick if you're looking for a very sensitive ice rod. Now as for line, I usually prefer fire line just so it wont freeze up as well as how well it performs on the ice... landed a BIG pike on just 4lb line with it.
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline ifish4fishwithteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2015, 03:28 PM »
13 Fishing also makes some very nice ultra lights

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2015, 03:36 PM »
the  ht ice blues are great in  ultra light action and are sensitive enough that  theres no need for a bobber.i like the 30 and 36 inch for hole hopping. great rods for the prices.i like 2# micro ice line for panfish.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2015, 04:09 PM »
the  ht ice blues are great in  ultra light action and are sensitive enough that  theres no need for a bobber.i like the 30 and 36 inch for hole hopping. great rods for the prices.i like 2# micro ice line for panfish.
X2 but prefer ASSO 2# lines.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2015, 04:10 PM »

x2.  I've stopped using my spring bobbers ever since I purchased my 24" and 30" ice blues.  They are great UL rods that are really inexpensive (under $10 if you can find them) and can haul in some big fish every now and then.  Pair it with your favorite reel and some light line and you won't regret ever buying one.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2015, 07:10 PM »
I use the Lacroix rods for both hard and soft water...the ice rods are very sensitive...I use 4lb P-Line....fishing trout

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2015, 07:54 AM »
x2.  I've stopped using my spring bobbers ever since I purchased my 24" and 30" ice blues.  They are great UL rods that are really inexpensive (under $10 if you can find them) and can haul in some big fish every now and then.  Pair it with your favorite reel and some light line and you won't regret ever buying one.
  I agree, for the price, i'm really impressed with ice blues.  I do have one custom short rod for ultra-finicky gills - it's one from Gaffight - custom builder here in northern IN.  I paired it with a Frabill 371 inline and 2# orange - it's a great setup for opening those tight lips!  Anyway, best advice i can give is try a few different options and you'll soon figure out what works and what doesn't.

good luck and tight lines!

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2015, 08:25 AM »
about the same for me,all i fish for is pannies now
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2015, 11:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I went out and bought a Frabill panfish popper with a spring bobber. Seems sensitive enough

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Glad you got a rod you like. Pony up the less than $10 for an ice blue. You will be glad you did. I use a 48 inch with a very small straight line reel. I think it cost $10. Great for hole hoping.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2015, 01:35 PM »
Glad you got a rod you like. Pony up the less than $10 for an ice blue. You will be glad you did. I use a 48 inch with a very small straight line reel. I think it cost $10. Great for hole hoping.

Where do you find ice blues? Ive never seen them

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2015, 02:24 PM »
they are a 10$ rod. they are in most stores who cater to ice fishng.

when i started, i used to use them because my buddy who got me into it siad they are fine.

mean while i kept looking for some thing "more" and he ended up ditching his stuff that he liked and went with 13 fishing also.
i like the 13 fishing wicked 19" UL. looking for them to be on sale to get a few more. i keep about 6 of them rigged with different jigs/spoons now. i have a pail full of many other brands i don't use, some are still new with tags. i only target pan fish.

a stick with string and a hook will catch fish and eskimos use to short sticks to catch fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.