New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339330 times)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #8490 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Plenty in there that size... just getting one to bite is a different story.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8491 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:42 PM »
I wouldn’t think a fish that size would be any good for eating, you can get replica fish mounts made. So killing a fish like that just to stick on a wall seems like a waste to me.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8492 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:52 PM »
Great fish  !!
Who cares about the rest.  If I were so lucky,  nobody here would know otherwise

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8493 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:50 PM »
The guy said he weighted it on a post office scale and was getting it certified by the state.

I’ve seen plenty of fish that look much smaller in a bad pic then they actually weigh.  As to some sort of inches to pounds rule, I’ve seen many fish that Buck that trend.

Either way pretty nice one, that mouth is huge.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8494 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:55 PM »
I wouldn’t think a fish that size would be any good for eating, you can get replica fish mounts made. So killing a fish like that just to stick on a wall seems like a waste to me.

In today’s world, yes I would get a replica because I personally let all my trophies go...

But I am guilty for having a 39” laker that went 22lbs on the wall from LG but that was 17 years ago. Well before replicas were a option.

Lakers taste like crap at any size.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8495 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Hey, SS, how you doin'....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline striperhound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8496 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:13 PM »
is the ice going to be a mess tomorrow? Still safe with the 60 degree weather and rain from today

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8497 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Hey, SS, how you doin'....h2l

Ehhh about as good as to be expected for someone that can’t walk. Thanks for asking.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8498 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:24 PM »
is the ice going to be a mess tomorrow? Still safe with the 60 degree weather and rain from today

I was going to go out but I don’t want to risk it. If we get another freeze I’ll go back out but it looks like above freezing weather for the week

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8499 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:01 AM »
Snow was gone on the main lake yesterday plenty of ice near cotton point fish were on the negative side  @)

Fishmon

« Reply #8500 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:39 AM »
Lakers and salmon were very active in north basin again, but this weather will make access very difficult.  Might be a short season.

I saw a 28# lake trout a few years ago and the one in the picture seemed to be a  less chunky, but photos sometimes distort things.  Nonetheless, a great catch.  Just wish he let it go after a picture or two.  That fish is an  old timer.

Offline can_of_worms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8501 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:29 AM »
I have no intentions of creating a heated debate, but I am wondering why we as sportsman have such a hypocritical opinion regarding keeping trophy fish compared to our deer hunting standards. I am just asking because I am in this boat, I certainly would have released that laker. By the same standards though we should pass on harvesting a 10 point 140 class 3.5 yr old buck? I truly believe to each their own, but it is clear we have different standards for game. What makes us believe that fish are somewhat more desirable to protect? Again not intended to call anyone out just wondering. Be careful out there the next few days it is going down hill fast.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8502 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:06 AM »
I have no intentions of creating a heated debate, but I am wondering why we as sportsman have such a hypocritical opinion regarding keeping trophy fish compared to our deer hunting standards. I am just asking because I am in this boat, I certainly would have released that laker. By the same standards though we should pass on harvesting a 10 point 140 class 3.5 yr old buck? I truly believe to each their own, but it is clear we have different standards for game. What makes us believe that fish are somewhat more desirable to protect? Again not intended to call anyone out just wondering. Be careful out there the next few days it is going down hill fast.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:  If someone wants  to keep any fish they catch,as long as its's legal,  they should be able to without criticism or ridicule. A guy keeping one big fish is not gonna hurt the population in Lake George. 10 guys keeping a big fish isn't going to hurt it.
Congrats on a nice fish.  Do with it what you will, its your fish!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8503 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:16 AM »
The difference is your hopefully going to eat the deer regardless if it’s antler size. Your not just shooting it hacking off the head and calling it a day. When someone catches a trophy fish and just kills it to put on a wall that just seems like a waste to me when we have better options today

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8504 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:34 AM »

Just speaking for myself here. Other than fresh walleye, I'm not a big fish eater. But I will keep a few here and there. So a big breeder female can go back in the water anytime, regardless of size or species

I love venison, and while I sometimes pass up smaller bucks, sometimes I don't, especially if the season is winding down and my freezer is empty.

Like you say, to each his own. I'm happy for anyone who is happy with their "legal" harvest of any fish or game. They're all trophies!

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8505 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:51 AM »
My reasoning for releasing the bigger fish is purely a selfish one. I want to catch them again when they are even bigger. Has nothing to do with the fishes death. I am in agreement with as long as the fish is legal do with it what you will. It's just not for me.

Offline senko69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8506 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:53 AM »
Our group of 4 ended up running the gap between Speaker Heck Island and Assembly Pt yesterday.  We had 2 ATV's towing our gear.  There was one small pressure crack we had to cross and it was buttoned closed both in the morning and on the way off the ice that afternoon, so it was smooth sailing.  We iced 5 Lake Trout, biggest was 28", 71 sunnies, 25 perch, 10 smallmouth bass, and 1 sculpin.  The sculpin was a surprise.  Got it on a spike tipped hali.  It was a decent day with lots of action and a nice variety of species for sure!     

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #8507 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Our group of 4 ended up running the gap between Speaker Heck Island and Assembly Pt yesterday.  We had 2 ATV's towing our gear.  There was one small pressure crack we had to cross and it was buttoned closed both in the morning and on the way off the ice that afternoon, so it was smooth sailing.  We iced 5 Lake Trout, biggest was 28", 71 sunnies, 25 perch, 10 smallmouth bass, and 1 sculpin.  The sculpin was a surprise.  Got it on a spike tipped hali.  It was a decent day with lots of action and a nice variety of species for sure!     

Awesome sounds like a great day on the KING :tipup:   

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8508 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:04 AM »
14 for me yesterday.  No giants but a good average size.  Largest probably 28"

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8509 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Absolutely true.  The only contention I can think of is if hunting did have the 'catch and release' option then opinions may change.  But I agree, keeping a limit of every legal fish is way worse to the population than keeping on once in lifetime trophy.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #8510 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:27 AM »
14 for me yesterday.  No giants but a good average size.  Largest probably 28"

That's a solid outing. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8511 on: Feb 20, 2018, 11:04 AM »
That's a solid outing.

I'll take it.  Cant seem to crack the 20 mark this year....maybe next weekend. 

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #8512 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Will get it done this weekend buddy..Headed up in the a.m.Until then Fish On🎣

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8513 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Fished around diamond and canoe islands east and west and diamond east of canoe perch were biting lakers were no where to be had marked a decent amount but weren’t really chasing Anyone have a good day?

Fishmon

« Reply #8514 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:12 AM »

Keep trying.  They are out there.  Hit a PB of 22 last weekend with a couple of 29 inchers and a bonus salmon.  Fun stuff.  You get addicted to it. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8515 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Will get it done this weekend buddy..Headed up in the a.m.Until then Fish On🎣

Will be up there both days this weekend...see you then.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8516 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Fished around diamond and canoe islands east and west and diamond east of canoe perch were biting lakers were no where to be had marked a decent amount but weren’t really chasing Anyone have a good day?

We were the two guys on the north end of diamond island, took all day and covering a ton of water to get one 23” between us.  Not a flag all day either.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8517 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Which ones there were a few we were on the green side by side we marked a decent amount but seemed dead

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8518 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:28 PM »
9am

1pm

Still 15-17" ice over 95fow. Gonna take more than 2 days to melt thick solid ice

Offline adkPhisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8519 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Thanks for the Update Tuna, Looks like my plans for Saturday AM are definitely on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.