The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Team IceShanty Montana WINS BIG!!!!!!!!  (Read 7577 times)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Team IceShanty Montana WINS BIG!!!!!!!!
« on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:27 PM »
Well, true story it was a cold cold weekend, and the wind blew constantly!  but, Team Ice Shanty Montana emerged Victorious!!!!!!!  (Neptune, I C, Quantoson, Perchhoglsayer)
The Canyon Ferry Perch Derby 2009 is one for the record books,  Super Cold, but an amazing good time.  Most would not agree with that though. 
Saturday- The individual day- was tough,  very few fish caught anywhere on the lake, a few people did well with quantity, but not many big ones. The biggest perch weighed in barely over .8 pounds (can't remember exactly).  Team Ice Shanty Montana didn't do very well on Saturday, only catching 3 perch (all caught by Neptune), and just barely missing the top 10. 

Sunday on the other hand was a completely different day.  With a little fresh snow, and a new spot on the lake, Team Ice Shanty Montana hit the jackpot.  We found the perch and with a lot of coaxing we ended up landing 41 perch, and 1 ultra tiny walleye that went back.  Good enough for first place by about 3 pounds.  We did a little interview for the local newspapers,  apparently everyone thought it was REALLY cool that before this tourney, none of us had ever met in person, and were brought together from across Montana by an Internet ice fishing chat site. Hopefully it'll draw a lot of good press and expand the Montana membership. 

Thanks again guys for making the drive down for the tourney! Glad it paid off for ya.  ;D  Neptune, IC, Quantoson... post some pics when you get home!  thanks again guys!!!

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
Re: Team IceShanty Montana WINS BIG!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:39 PM »
congradulations  ;D

Offline krankbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:37 PM »
Great Job!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Eat...Sleep...Fish

Offline hunterdan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Way to go guys 8)

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:52 PM »
Awsome Job! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:33 PM »
Frigen SWEET!THAT shows EXACTLY what this site is for and can do for people!They should have your pic in the Townsed paper soon.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:25 PM »
I had the best time with perchhogslayer, neptune, IC.  We had the best Captain.  Perchhogslayer had the place dailed in hard.  He put us right on those fat perch, neptune and I were helping slam them babies.  Perchhogslayer has a system that is unbeatable.  And he proved it today.  I'll write more later, really beat after the drive back to Columbia Falls,

Cold Saturday, wind was just howling

Fishermen lined up before the pressure ridge

3 of the best ice fishing people around.  Team Ice Shanty Montana

Sunday 41 fish, 16.89 pounds and 4 very happy ice fishermen.

wish you many hook-ups

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:01 PM »
man, those pictures make my bones chill just looking at them... it was SOOOOO freeking cold out there! and the WIND~~~~~~~~~  Cool pics, thanks for taking so many and posting.  didn't realize I had the full head mask and goggles on that much.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:05 AM »
perchhogslayer, when I took them pictures on Saturday, you can bet I came out of the hut just long enough to take them.  I think one or two of the pictures were done while I was scrambling to get back in the hut.  I felt bad for IC because his side of the hut had a gap in the lower part of the hut.  But he cowboy-ed up and didn't complain.  What a trooper!

Without IC' 4 wheeler we would of had a major struggle to get where we were on Saturday..  Thanks IC for the chauffeuring us and I know you froze hard making all those trips back and forth to drag us in and out. 

The slow bite on Saturday sure didn't reflect on Sunday.  Man I couldn't tell my wife enough of it while I talked myself to sleep on the sofa.  You must have found the nest for us, they were really hitting.  Millions of thank you'$ to you, IC and neptune for the weekend.  Boy, was I excited at the weigh in or what?   

I wish every derby had a calcutta, those are a hoot. 

On the way home, IC turned off in Helen to go ling fishing.  That's dedication!  I was so beat I headed straight home.  Took only 4.5 hours.  Gotta unload the truck this morning.  Then it's bank time.  I'll call you guys up when I'm finished there.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:10 AM »
Congratulations Gentlemen from the number 2 team. It was apleasure getting to know you guys and great job on the fishing. It was worth it to brave the cold.... Great fishing and you better believe that you won't beat us next year

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:22 AM »
you better believe that you won't beat us next year

Ha ha,  Great to FINALLY see you posting on the site!  It was great seeing you out there, I'm really glad your dad put that team together so fast.  If you guys wouldn't have showed up it would have been a REAL spanking.  I'm glad we were able to raise the bar a bit for this derby. Next year people are going to have to bring their A game for sure.  I hope we didn't set the bar too high and make many of the teams not even want to sign up next year. I had a great time, not because we were catching fish, and not because we won, but mostly because a bunch of guys who have never fished with eachother before were able to get to know eachother a bit over the internet, then come together and catch a bunch of fish and have a good time.

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:48 AM »
Team Ice Shanty Montana WINS BIG!!!!

Congratulations guys.  Sorry that I missed you out there.  I got there in the dark Fri. night and parked where I did last year.  I didn't know that that boat ramp was closed (just West of the main boat ramp) and that everybody was using the other.

It was just too brutal for me and my partner to be out.  Dang near froze my face off just going to the can 200 feet away.  I was prepared for the cold but just couldn't do the cold and wind togather.  I had fun anyway, stayed in the trailer napping and eating.

Well there is always next year.  To heck with waiting a whole year.  Does anybody wanna go to Peck or I would go to Col Falls for a few perch, pike, trout or just a good day or 2 on the ice.

Again, congrats, a job well done and a victory well earned.  Ding

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Ding,

We looked for you all over the place around 2:30-3:30 on Saturday,  Did you pull outta there early on Saturday?  Sounds like MOST people didn't stay out fishing too long on Sat.  Sunday was kinda funny,  Apart from the tourney people I only saw a couple guys out fishing.  THOSE guys were the hardcore ones.  If not for the tourney, I don't think I'd of been out there.
Any time you're headed back over to CF let me know, maybe we can meet up and ice a few. 

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:36 AM »
All Hail the Lords of the perch!  Congrats to the four of you for bringing home the gold.  I was up with a friend Sat for the lovely weather.  I was so pissed at weather.com the night before saying it was going to be 16 and 5mph winds, traveling two hours from Great Falls and finding that.  I actually got frostbite on my fingers (thankful for the IDIsuit).  We caught four nice fish, one large about 12 in, but we were so hashed by the weather that we didn't bother weighing in, just tooled around abit looking for Ding then left for GF.  Have to remove my boot from my rear for not sticking around for the final, but the elements can certainly affect judgement.  I was realy looking forward to meeting you guys, I would have certainly been honored to buy you a beverage.  Great going guys.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2009, 03:52 PM »
well thanks to a great leader and a good crew we won it. all i had to do was to go watch some other team lose so not a lot a pressure on me.but perchhogslayer really pulled through and neptune had the tackle figured out and with quantoson gettin it done we made it happen.i believe it was colder than ive ver fished in and the weather cetainly wasnt enjoyable but it was great to put a face to some of the names and get to meet and fish with some of the guys on here.in my opinion this is what this site is about, people sharing information,having a good time and putting a few fish on the ice.regret that i dint get to meet ding a ling and everyone else that was there but hopefully we will run into each other out on the ice and swap some fish stories.one of mine will start with it had to have been at least a hundred below wind blowing eighty mile an hour and i was fishing this perch tournament at canyon ferry, did i mention it was super cold............

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:40 PM »
sounds like you guys had a great time congratulations 8) 8) 8)

Offline deadeyerik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:46 PM »
Congrats guys. I know how tough it was out there. Ya hung in and it paid off. If it wasn't for hooking up with Bullelk34 and his wife we would have had a terrible time. I had to trade a day at work so I could go to this tourneyand I was really wondering if a bad day fishing was better than a good day at work. YES it is. That is pretty cool that you guys never met before and won.

Deadeye

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Thank You All for the Congrats!  The second place winners were a fierce bunch as well.  I think anyone who spent 5 minutes out there this weekend was a winner, or just plain stubborn.  I feel really privileged to have fished with perchhogslayer, neptune and IC.  No one gave up.  No one said lets call it a day, they said lets just get er dun! 

When the rest of you are at a derby next time, lets try to have some kind of marker flag, sign or place to meet. 

Congratulations Gentlemen from the number 2 team. It was apleasure getting to know you guys and great job on the fishing. It was worth it to brave the cold.... Great fishing and you better believe that you won't beat us next year

Sounds like an invite for next year.  I'm game.  Coming geared up different, gonna do er "Captain Jake" style.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline wvmountaineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2009, 08:47 PM »
Good job guys. Neptune you can tell me all about it next time we fish together. Bitterroot was a bust for me.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:51 AM »

Here they are in all their glory:  Representing Team Ice Shanty Montana from left to right, Quantoson, Neptune, PerchHogSlayer, and IC!

I haven't stopped smiling for over two days!  :)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:44 AM »
So Neptune... I stole your idea and took the wife out to a nice dinner... Instead of our usual McDonalds we hit up the fancy spot accross the street... ARBY's... mmmm tastly little roast beef sandwiches...

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:23 PM »
So Neptune... I stole your idea and took the wife out to a nice dinner... Instead of our usual McDonalds we hit up the fancy spot accross the street... ARBY's... mmmm tastly little roast beef sandwiches...
You really know how to spoil a lady Jake!!!  You Dork!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:28 PM »
Hey don't forget to get you New State Ice Shanty state patch from the pro shop!!!  I got 2 today!

http://www.iceshanty.com/iceshanty/iceshanty_store/patch-sale.html

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:46 PM »
Well done you guys!!!!!!!!!

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Hey don't forget to get you New State Ice Shanty state patch from the pro shop!!!  I got 2 today!

http://www.iceshanty.com/iceshanty/iceshanty_store/patch-sale.html

I ordered 4, my wife said too.  yiiiipppppeeeeee!
wish you many hook-ups

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:37 AM »
Well, I REALLY tried to get "Iceshanty.com" some good press, but with no luck.  In case your interested,  here's the link,  before it gets archived....

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2009/01/29/weekly_features/outdoors/55ot_090129_perch.txt?rating=true

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2009, 12:05 PM »
The Helena IR is far and away the worst newspaper in the state!  Absolutely pathetic!  They didn't mention a sigle word about the individual derby on Saturday or who the winners were or anything. Nothing!  We had to leave early to get back to Helena for my son's basketball game, but when we left, my middle son was in second and the nieghbor boy was in first place in the kids division.  In fact the nieghbor kid had the biggest fish of the entire tournament at that time 0.87 pounds.  Not sure if it held up or not though.  Certainly can't rely on the IR to let us know.

Anyway, congrats to you guys on the big win on Sunday!

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:07 PM »
The Helena IR is far and away the worst newspaper in the state!  Absolutely pathetic!  They didn't mention a sigle word about the individual derby on Saturday or who the winners were or anything. Nothing!  We had to leave early to get back to Helena for my son's basketball game, but when we left, my middle son was in second and the nieghbor boy was in first place in the kids division.  In fact the nieghbor kid had the biggest fish of the entire tournament at that time 0.87 pounds.  Not sure if it held up or not though.  Certainly can't rely on the IR to let us know.

Anyway, congrats to you guys on the big win on Sunday!
Yeah, the Helena Innacurate Record... don't get me started,  I don't look at the paper much, but did today, and on the front page alone I counted several typos.  They said we won the Saturday derby...  I would have liked to have known the final results of the Saturday derby.  I know I didn't do well, but would have loved it if they had some pictures taken of that days winners.  AND if they would have actually used the photos taken by the Lions club.  The photo they did use came off of Neptunes post (above).  They took my "interview" and jumbled up pretty much every statement to the point where it barely makes any sence.  Guess I'm not too worried about people ruining our honey hole.  ;D 
The saddest part of the whole thing was they didn't mention one word about IceShanty.Com.  instead just sounds like we magically found eachother over the internet.  I was really hoping that article would help out the site a bunch. Still crossing my fingers that the Townsend Star and the Hungry Horse News will mention something about the site. 

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:33 PM »
I really hope the Townsend Star does a much better job of covering the entire Derby!

I don't know if the Hungry Horse News is going to pick up the story...it came out today....I'll have to check....

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:36 PM »
Kind of made it sound like you all met on an internet dating site. ;D

Had to get a jab in since I couldnt go fishing this weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.