Author Topic: rigid 5x hammer drill problem with Clam conversion plate  (Read 898 times)

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello
Two winters ago I bought a clam conversion plate which you do not have to remove the drill chuck. I bought a rigid 5x hammer drill after reading some recommendations (lifetime battery /3 year tool warranty I believe). I tried it once last season with a 8" inch auger through not much ice . The drill stalled and removing the battery and reinserting the battery is the only way to get  the drill to spin again. I drilled 2 hole through 6 inches of ice and that was all. t his year I bought a 6 inch auger and this past weekend ,I tried it again with the same results , the drill would stall and the battery needed to be un- clipped and reinserted to get the drill to spin again. Any amount of pressure stalls the drill .The drill was set on 100%. I contacted Rigid and my local Rigid repair guy and the drill is covered ,here is the another issue . I watched a youtube video where a guy had a 7" auger with the same Rigid drill .His stalled out too (but not as easy as mine) and he un-clipped the battery and reinserted it to finish drilling. I wonder now if taking it to the repair guy is going to accomplish anything. If anyone has encountered this or has a solution, any info would be greatly appreciated :tipupThanks
S-pup

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: rigid 5x hammer drill problem with Clam conversion plate
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Yes I believe so . I am at work and do not have the drill with me it looks the same and I got it from home depot ,it came wit an imapct also

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:04 PM »
Yes I believe so . I am at work and do not have the drill with me it looks the same and I got it from home depot ,it came wit an imapct also

If you have those little 2ah batteries thats your problem. They just dont have enough juice for the job. I have the same drill with 4ah batteries and i get about 40 holes thru 10in of ice with my 6in auger. This is my 4th season with the setup and have drilled over 3000 holes.

Dont use an 8in auger unless you have the gear reduction box add on for your clam plate. Your drill will burn up without it.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:05 PM »

If you have the 2 ah batteries/slim looking ones... get the 4ah batteries and the problem will be resolved.. most recommend 700 in/lbs drill...4 ah batteries or better and a 6 in auger...though other have had good results with larger auger drill units ...its a case by case basis ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:15 PM »
I was wanting to get the gear box because I fish for  pike.I re visited the youtube video but I am unable to hear it at work , ,what I saw was he drilled 11 hole (over 100" total ) and then the drill became unresponsive . I will watch it again at home to see what the guy says. 4 6" holes is not very much . I have an older gator but it is big and heavy . It works great , but we never get a lot of ice in northern Indiana /southern Michigan. Maybe I can get the service guy to get me an upgrade of batteries or say my batteries were bad , which they might be?
Thanks for your advise if you have any more , let me know
S-pup /Jim

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:36 PM »
I have a drill setup and I have been up and down these forums giving my two cents.  I believe there are two commandments when it comes to this setup.  First non negotiable commandment is the drill needs to be brushless.  The others may work for a while but your drill will succumb to the workload and will overheat/burn up.  The second is that the Amp Hours have to be greater than 2!  I don't know what the magic number is but mine are 5's and I fish Nebraska and Northern Minnesota where the ice is 3 foot thick at times.  My setup is a 20v. Dewalt Model DCD996 with 5 AH batteries.  I run the clam plate to give the old school auger feel and keep the drill up and off of the ice when not in use.  The auger head was a beat up 8" mora hand auger bottom, but the blades got tweaked and are no longer available at any retailers near me so I bought Bass Pro's 8" hand auger and removed the handle and it went right on to plate and I was back in business.  A lot of guys love to get into brand wars but I believe the brand of drill and type of auger head play a much smaller role in the success of your setup than the two absolutes I listed above.  I have put in the work on this topic, and hope it saves you a lot of time and energy.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:42 PM »
I was wanting to get the gear box because I fish for  pike.I re visited the youtube video but I am unable to hear it at work , ,what I saw was he drilled 11 hole (over 100" total ) and then the drill became unresponsive . I will watch it again at home to see what the guy says. 4 6" holes is not very much . I have an older gator but it is big and heavy . It works great , but we never get a lot of ice in northern Indiana /southern Michigan. Maybe I can get the service guy to get me an upgrade of batteries or say my batteries were bad , which they might be?
Thanks for your advise if you have any more , let me know
S-pup /Jim

You saw a video of the Clam Gear Box?...if so please post ...not a lot out there on the boxes other then a couple members here have them .

found this

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:17 PM »
if your blades are sharp it is your battery more than likely.  i run your same set up with a 7" lazer strikemaster and have drilled over 50 holes in 10 below weather with the 4.0ah batteries.  the key is to have more horse power than the 2.0ah you are currently running. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:25 PM »
I have a drill setup and I have been up and down these forums giving my two cents.  I believe there are two commandments when it comes to this setup.  First non negotiable commandment is the drill needs to be brushless.  The others may work for a while but your drill will succumb to the workload and will overheat/burn up. 

Im going on y 4th season and over 3000 holes drilled thru 10in of ice on avg with my drill with brushes.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:26 PM »
I've done a lot of messing around lately with my rigid, clam plate and 6" lazer. It's been working dang good lately, enough that I'm probably sticking with it instead of upgrading to the Milwaukee. Search my posts, I've commented a lot on various posts on the subject

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.