Author Topic: Ice Rods  (Read 1747 times)

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
Ice Rods
« on: Feb 14, 2007, 04:14 PM »
What company makes the best ice rods because 3 of mine have broken this year and they have been Guide Series and Frabill.  Also what length and action should i buy for fishing for walleye.

icefishnfool

Re: Ice Rods
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2007, 04:33 PM »
well Calvin21......that is a double sides question ........sorta like fords and chevys ..........on a personal preference .,,,the first series Berkley Lightning rods that Dave Genz Promoted before going to Nature vision are my favorite.....then the St Croix Avid series and Legend series close behind ........Cabelas HMX series ice rods are good too .....on the cheaper rods , the Genz golds series rods are fair , when it gets as cold as it has been the solid graphite rods do become brittle , this is only my preference , that might not be the same as others ........but thorn brothers have good custom rods , but are a little expensive .....Mark

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:23 AM »
I kind of agree with polar bear. The St. Croix rods are awesome. I use mostly St. Croix for open water, fly fishing and saltwater when ever I make it to Florida. I think they are a little expensive for ice though (50 bucks). I use Berkley Lightning and Shakespeare Ice in different actions.

CSP88

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Check out the the new Jason Mitchell Guide Series ice rods.  The 28" Walleye model would be what you are looking for.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:53 AM »
Does anyone use Frozen Puppies rods?  If so, how are they?

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2007, 01:19 PM »
What company makes the best ice rods because 3 of mine have broken this year and they have been Guide Series and Frabill.  Also what length and action should i buy for fishing for walleye.
Personally, I like HT's model AIE30. It's a 30" rod. It use to be made by Eagle Claw, called Arctic Ice Eagle. I've had mine for 12-13 years and am pretty rough on my equipment. It's very sensitive, but has plenty of backbone for good hooksets. You can pick one up for around $6-$8. I believe that they are as good, if not better, than the more expensive rods.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2007, 01:23 PM »

Hello again Calvin.
On your reals there is an adjustment called a drag. AAhh I'm just kidding. :D

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2007, 01:52 PM »
Check out the the new Jason Mitchell Guide Series ice rods.  The 28" Walleye model would be what you are looking for.

How much is it?

oh and RLWagner I know about the drag, i was setting it when the frabill rod broke.  The graphite on the rod cracked on the backside down about 4inches from the bottom.  I am going to try and return it, because it was brand new when it broke.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2007, 04:28 PM »
I bought a St. Croix Legend last year and love it - now I have replaced all of my rods with them.

"Legend ice rods are available in five models from ultra-light to medium-heavy. Plus three spring indicators (sold separately) are available in light, medium and medium-heavy. Each spring indicator is easily interchangeable: switch from light to medium to medium-heavy, etc. in just seconds. Every rod can use two different springs to accommodate a large selection of lure weights and styles.* Super-finesse, high-tension, stainless-steel strike indicator, 24-carat gold plating. * Fully adjustable and interchangeable spring indicator system. * Sensitive solid carbon blank. * Premium, lightweight stainless-steel guides.

Ice Rod Strike Indicator System – How it Works: St. Croix’s strike indicator system is adjustable, so its sensitivity level can accommodate different lure sizes. To make the bobber more sensitive, push the spring forward through the grommet. To make it less sensitive, push it back. The system is most sensitive when there is a 30-degree bend (position 2) in the spring. To find the bottom, lower the jig until the indicator returns to position 1. Then, either slowly reel up once or lift the rod slightly until the indicator is back to position 2." :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.