Author Topic: Has anyone made a cover for their sled?  (Read 2220 times)

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
Has anyone made a cover for their sled?
« on: Dec 01, 2004, 07:49 AM »
I just can't see paying $50.00 plus dollars for a cover for my portable sled.  Has anyone made one and what material did you use?  I might even be able to talk my wife into sewing it for me.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Has anyone made a cover for their sled?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2004, 08:17 AM »
CG:  What type of sled do you have?  Jet? Otter?.  I paid ~ $45 for my Otter medium cover and it was one of the best ice fishing add-ons I have purchased.  Do you want to have hassles with losing or damaged gear? 

We icefisherman spend decent bucks on equipment such as augers, flashers, cameras, shanties, etc.  To protect our investment a cover is cheap insurance.  The cover I have has elastic and is a custom fit for the sled.  This translates into a tight fit and ease of use.  Seriously, I wouldn't think about "hitting the ice" without it.

I don't know how beefy the jet covers are, but I can tell you the Otters are very durable.

IMHO, if there is a cover available for your particular sled................ge t it! ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2004, 08:19 AM »
I bought a cover for my JetSled on clearance at the end of the season last year.................. ..............$24.99.  End of the year clearance sales are the best!!!

Offline alpinehigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • jigging rapala is a great ice lure
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2004, 11:15 AM »
I'm with you too crappieguy.
I want to load up my sled with all winter camping gear and make some measurements and get a nice fit. Paying all tha money for a cover and then not having a perfect fit is annoying.
Check out your local camping stores, they usually have rolls of good material. I would think a nice heavy duty nylon would work fine.
good luck

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2004, 12:32 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, there can't be $10.00 worth of material in one of those covers.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2004, 02:38 PM »
My problem is that Frabill doesn'yt make one for mine, it's an older Ice Ranger with the real deep tub.  I been thinking about buying the 6150 that is for newer model Ranger and see if it fits.  I guess I could take it back if it doesn't fit.  I agree that you really need to have one to secure the sled, and if for nothing else to keep the snow off of everything.

There isn't anything to them, a couple yards of material and some elastic, I guess you have to pay for the name that goes on the outside.  Maybe someone should start up a company that makes third party covers for all of them, they could be made for a couple bucks each overseas.  Probably were they are made now anyway!

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2004, 03:15 PM »
Hey Crappieguy:  Let's get the wives to sew them up and we will start our own business here in the good old USA!! ;D ;D 

We could even include the iceshanty.com logo on them.  We will hit up Scott for start up capital! ;D ;D

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2004, 03:22 PM »
Unless your wives have heavy duty machines you might want to find someone to make them for you. The heavier fabrics that you would probably use are a bit much for a non commercial machine.

My mom worked for these guys:
http://www.bannersystems.com/Pages/BSIcore.html
and she worked at a shop repairing leather.

My buddy does this:
http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/

Their commercial machines are a bit beefier than your typical home machine.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2004, 03:46 PM »
Unless your wives have heavy duty machines you might want to find someone to make them for you. The heavier fabrics that you would probably use are a bit much for a non commercial machine.

My mom worked for these guys:
http://www.bannersystems.com/Pages/BSIcore.html
and she worked at a shop repairing leather.

My buddy does this:
http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/

Their commercial machines are a bit beefier than your typical home machine.

HardH2O:  I was just joking with Charlie! ;D 

I agree that the residential sewing machine probably would not cut it.  My sister-in-law has a commercial machine that she used for her business awhile ago.  Quite a difference!   ;)

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2004, 06:01 PM »
Put the Ice Shanty logo on it and I'll buy one. Dont tell me its back ordered, I'm you first customer d***it!  >:(
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2004, 06:07 PM »
Put the Ice Shanty logo on it and I'll buy one. Dont tell me its back ordered, I'm you first customer d***it!  >:(

LOL!!

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2004, 06:28 PM »
Wait! I want 6!  I'm off to start a bidding war on Ebay! ;D
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2004, 08:05 PM »
Baginwal,

I'm ROTFLMAO  way to funny, but a good idea on the logo.  We could use some startup money, nut it just might get spent on research, lot of time spent drinking beer and thinking!

Offline wkules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lookin' for EYES!!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2004, 09:12 PM »
Hey crappieguy, don't forget the research money that will need to be spent on the gear, you will obviously need to load your sled to the max to be sure of the fit!
Bobbers Down and Flags Up !!!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2004, 10:31 AM »
Hey crappieguy, don't forget the research money that will need to be spent on the gear, you will obviously need to load your sled to the max to be sure of the fit!

Good point!  Let's see, Power Auger, Pail full of Tip Ups, Fl-18, Aqua-View, Heater, Several Poles, Tackel Box full of Tackel, Spud, Lantern, Gaff, 10 LB Propane Tank, Minnow Bucket, didn't realise I took so much stuff on the ice.  Should cost around $1,500.00  Now beer might be even moe!

Minim

« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2004, 10:27 PM »
I made one.  I bought a small tarp from CanTire, cut it six inches bigger all around than the sled.  Folded over the edges one inch and installed tarp grommets every foot all around making sure one on each corner and threaded a bungie cord through the grommets and tied it so it would fit over the sled snuggly.  Easy to put on and take off.  Keeps the snow out, cheap.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2004, 10:51 PM »
Same thing with me. I use a cheap blue tarp with grommets and use a piece of nylon rope threaded in and out of them. It holds just below the lip of the sled and a couple of half-hitches and it's on tight. I'm not towing mine behind a snowmobile, but it keeps everything from falling out pulling it up and down the bank. It costs about 8-10 bucks total.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2004, 12:54 PM »
i make my own covers,of course thats what i do for a liveing.pretty simple but you do need a machine that will sew heavier material.cant afford to place an add on this site at the prices i was gonna offer my services to everyone.I will give pointers on how to best make a cover and i guess you can  email me any [email protected]  . hope i can help.adrian

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2004, 02:31 PM »
i make my own covers,of course thats what i do for a living.pretty simple but you do need a machine that will sew heavier material.cant afford to place an add on this site at the prices i was gonna offer my services to everyone.I will give pointers on how to best make a cover and i guess you can  email me any [email protected]  . hope i can help.adrian

I sent you an email, but it got bounced back to me.  Is your email address typed correctly?
Follow the bubbles...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.