Author Topic: Ice Jig Painting  (Read 6792 times)

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
Ice Jig Painting
« on: Nov 30, 2004, 07:36 PM »
I need some help from the jig artists on the board.  I was thinking about making my own jigs, but decided to start with bulk unpainted jigs from Cabela's and see how that goes before I invest a bunch of money into molds.  I'm a complete novice regarding painting.  My living room is the most advanced project I've done to date.  I've got a couple hundred rocker style jigs in varying sizes that I plan to be working with right now.  I'm also hoping to be able to mix colors to create some off-the-wall colors that the fish haven't seen yet.  Anyway, here's my questions to start:

1.  What types of paint should I start with?  I know there's epoxies, vinyls, powders, etc., but don't have any clue what the advantages and disadvantages of each are. 

2.  How should I apply the paint?  Dipping, brushing, air-brushing, etc.?  I think air-brushing would probably give the best possible finish and fine detail, but I'm wondering how much trouble they are to clean and maintain, and how much patience and skill they take to operate.  I'm guessing dipping would be the quickest and easiest, but wouldn't expect a very refined result.

3.  Where's a good place to buy paint from (on-line or whatever)?  Also, what's a good quantity of each color to start with?  I imagine if you buy it by the pint rather than those little nail-polish-size bottles it would be cheaper, but wonder if a pint will be way more than I'll ever use.

Any other advise will be greatfully accepted.

TIA

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

PerchBusterSD

Re: Ice Jig Painting
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2004, 07:41 PM »
dont waste your time with vinyl, it stinks like hell! go with powder, its the only way to go

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2004, 09:05 PM »
For soild colored baits, I use Powder Paints. If i want 2 tones, and scale patterns etc,I base coat with powder, and use Vinyl paint airbrushed for detailing work. Vinyl does smell while painting,(should be sprayed outdoors) and must be thinned greatly to airbrush or it spits out strands & dots.It does dry fast however. Also Vinyl take alot more maintence, as you must keep the paints thinned, they have the tendacy to dry up in the bottles over time. The small bottle of vinyl will last a long time if you airbrush, as you have to thin the paint to get it to spraying viscosity. A decent airbrush is not cheap, Id recommend a dual stage, with controlable spray output (like a pasche). There is a lot of investment if you want to do 2 tones and such. The powder paints out in the market is great for soild colored jigs. Theres a few things you should do if your going to use powder paints. One is bake cure your jigs, in an oven as recommended by the paint manufacters. If you dont bake cure them, the paint is very brittle, and cracks & chips in a snap. If you do cure them, it is literally one of the toughest paint you can use. Also be sure you pop out any paint in the hook eyes before you cure, or you will never get them to clear out once you cure them. I also do glitter coats with powder paints, all of these are readily availible at tackle crafting section at most good outdoor retailers. It really all matters to what look you want to achieve, and how much you want to spend.

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Had To Reach Way Down Inside
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2004, 09:44 PM »
Go to Jannsnetcraft.com and eather send off for a catalog, or look thru the site. It has some books on painting jigs,
all types of paints, dipper trays, and bulk unpainted ice jigs.
It's a great site, and an even better FREE catalog.

Rocket>

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2004, 02:43 AM »
I use powder paint because it seems to be the best and easyest to put on. but I have a hard time with the eyes. What do you guys use for your eyes?

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2004, 06:41 AM »
jp, pack a drinking straw with powder about an inch up the straw then when the jig is warm, place it where you want the eye and tap

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2004, 10:08 AM »
I paint the vinyl and powder coat. the powder is much easier. But vinyl is better for detail. On the vinyl I use a small wood dowel to make eyes, with the powder I use paint pens I got from Janns,just make the eye before you bake the jig.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2004, 10:42 AM »
The best thing I ever found for painting jigs was the plastic stuff that you dip your pliers handles in to give them that non slip, good grip surface. It will never crack or come off. You can find it in most any hardware store. The only drawback is that there are not many colors that it comes in. You just dip your jigs in it and hang them on a thread to dry.
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2004, 04:45 PM »
I make alot of ice jigs. Normal paint comes off. Wanting some perch looking jigs I over come this problem. I coat them with a two part epoxy. I use an epoxy made for instaling fiberglass handles in hammers. It is self leveling ,clear ,and very durable. The jigs look wet even when dry. I use alot of drop line jigs. It looks like a small perch chasing a wax worm. Paint your jig ,you can even use magic markers, coat with epoxy let dry for 2 days and go fishing. HAVE FUN !

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2004, 06:37 PM »
Powder Paint really is a form of epoxy, just not 2 part. For eyes, I fabricated a tool ( I made a few of them for different colors) using a dowel rod with a brad epoxied at the end of the dowel. I dot my eyes using Vinyl paint, you just have to make sure the paint viscosity is on the thin side, or youll get strands/lines from when you pull off the jig. Also I dont push the brad against the jig but rather just let the paint drop contact the jig.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.