Author Topic: Bag Limits  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bag Limits
« on: Nov 29, 2004, 06:14 AM »
Ice Fishing Bear's thread about lines made me think of another comparison I'm curious about. In Maine kids under sixteen can fish without a license and get their own bag limit. So, if an adult goes fishing with two kids they can set a total of fifteen tipups and get three limits. How is this handled in your area?

I fish in Quebec in the summer and there an adult can take a child fishing and the child doesn't need a license, but the bag limit is restricted to what the adult's would be only.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bag Limits
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2004, 10:17 AM »
Here in NY state kids can fish without a license and can also take their own limit.  It's a per person daily limit whether or not you actually need the license based on age.

Person's under the age of 16 no license needed.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2004, 05:48 PM »
In Colorado you don't have to have a license till your 16, but you can only take half of a regular bag limit if you don't.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2004, 07:22 PM »
you were right about Quebec but if your child can sign  is name on is license he can take is own bag.whatever is age.it allows you to put more jig pole and tip-up also. ;)

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2004, 07:37 PM »
MB has the individual bag limits...i.e. if I take the kids, we can take home more fish...generally don't though...on Saturday I took home a trout that had taken a jig deep...first fish I kept since last December...not that I don't like fish myself.

Similar Pennsylvania, an adult who holds a rod with a hook attached is considered to have intent to fish and can be fined without a license...that's how my wife got started last year - I had her get a conservation license so she could help me out with the kids...one day one of the boys said he'd had enough and handed my wife the line...she had a couple nibbles that day and was hooked.

Barbless only here too....

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2004, 09:06 PM »
Kids under 16 and seniors over 65 don't need/ or have to pay for licenses here in Manitoba.  My mom at 90 still likes to get out, and although she has to carry a license, it was free.  She was issued a conservation license, which means she must take 2 fewer fish on any limit than a regular license.  (Unfortunately, at that age, she's only a warm-weather fisher.)

Full Limits on a regular license:
Walleye - 6
Pike - 6
Perch - 25, except for Lakes Winnipeg and Manitoba - unlimited
Goldeye - 10 - gamefish, but may be used as cut bait for catfish
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline elkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2004, 05:25 AM »
Here in Wyoming kids under 16 dont need a license and have their own bag limit.Non-resident kids under 16 dont need a license but must fish with a licensed adult and their bag limit is applied to the adults license.I take all 3 of my kids fishing all the time but release most fish caught.Keep a couple for a meal and put the rest back to fight another day.    Elkman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.