Author Topic: Mr Heater-Buddy Heater Anyone have this problem with theirs?  (Read 4353 times)

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Ive had my Mr Heater Buddy Heater for a few years, Lately Im having a problem with the front blue flame (the one that gets lit when you fire it up) going out once the heater runs for about 8-10 mins. The flame flickers, or goes out but the heater element still burns, & glows, then the heater shuts itself off entirely. Anyone else have/had a problem like this? Im thinking maybe the thermo coupling is probably faulty, Is there an easy fix, or am I looking at a new unit?

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
Re: Mr Heater-Buddy Heater Anyone have this problem with theirs?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2004, 10:21 PM »
I had a similar problem, and was to told to replace the the thermocouple.  Easy to replace and reasonably inexpensive.  I pack an extra with me in my tool kit!!!

Offline freezedried

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Fish Are Bitting somewhere find them
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2004, 11:58 PM »
I did not have this problem but something close. I won't tell you what I replaced because it might not be the same thing I called there customer service line. The let me talk to one of there techs. He know his stuff and had me back up and going in no time. He even sent me the parts. They have some sharp folks working for them.

freezedried
When The Ice Is On...I'm On The Ice!!!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2004, 07:33 AM »
Im glad I read this.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2004, 10:54 AM »
I have a buddy,I have never had this problem, but now if I do I know it's an easy fix! Thanks Guys!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2004, 11:36 AM »
 FishDeepCreek ::

Hey, after you fix the issue can you tell us what the resolve was? I am planning to but one this season....
Good Luck

Mole:
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2004, 12:36 PM »
Where are you guys getting the parts? From the factory or a store? It looks like I should have some spare parts handy.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2004, 12:43 PM »
Ill give you all a follow up. I emailed there tech support yesterday. They'll probably wont answer until the weekday (probably off on weekends) They also have a tech support phone line. There web page is www.mrheater.com. Ill give them a few days to answer my Email, if not I will call them. The unit has been very trouble free for a few years, Ive used mine ALOT, and have gone through alot of propane in it. I still would recommend a Buddy Heater!

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2004, 07:25 AM »
I just got a MR Heater Big Buddy, it was on sale at Gander Mountain for $79.99 that's $50.00 buck off. I was looking for the Buddy because it would be a bit smaller... This one is big and has some weight to it even without two 1lb propane tanks. That's only concern.... On the upside I could use it in a pinch if my heat goes out until a repair-man comes... I may sell this one to my brother and look for the smaller one.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2004, 10:26 AM »
I just got a MR Heater Big Buddy, it was on sale at Gander Mountain for $79.99 that's $50.00 buck off. I was looking for the Buddy because it would be a bit smaller... This one is big and has some weight to it even without two 1lb propane tanks. That's only concern.... On the upside I could use it in a pinch if my heat goes out until a repair-man comes... I may sell this one to my brother and look for the smaller one.

If your heating a fishtrap or similiar,that badboy will roast you out of house and home.That unit will also hook up to a 20 bulk tank.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2004, 11:08 AM »
I had a buddy who had a problem like this. Mr. Buddy said that the 02 sensor had deposits on it. He cleaned the sensor hole (forget exactly where it was) and it worked.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2004, 01:23 PM »
Polar :
I have a fish trap and a shapell 2 man shack... I think your right about to much heat.... Does anyone use the Original Buddy in a small shack? I may return mine>>> :o

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2004, 05:03 PM »
Polar :
I have a fish trap and a shapell 2 man shack... I think your right about to much heat.... Does anyone use the Original Buddy in a small shack? I may return mine>>> :o

I would not return it.You'll find a use for it.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2004, 08:49 PM »
Yes there is a maintence recommended on cleaning out the oxygen sensing port. You remove the guard from the front, then undo the single bolt on the bottom of the unit. The black portion that the heater tile sits in lifts out, and you can acsess the ports. The ports are 2 holes on the pipe, that the blue flame come out of (the one that gets ignited on start up) The manual said it can get spiderwebs & dust build up in it causing malfunction. I did do that, with no luck. The unit does run prefect for about 10 minutes, then acts up, which leads me to believe that once the thermocoupling gets warm, it causes it to go bonkers (temp related) The theromo coupling is listed as the entire pilot section in the parts breakdown! Wondering if i can get it seperatly. Im still waiting for a return Email from Mr. Heater.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2004, 07:42 AM »
Polar:
 When I got the heater I was thinking just that... I could use it in the shed or out side when working on the car.... So maybe I will hold on to it...

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2004, 09:28 AM »
Polar :

I would not return it.You'll find a use for it.

I'd keep it too. If the Buddy is too much heat, pick up a coleman black cat. They work great, one pound cyl. will heat your shack all day.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.