Author Topic: What fish?  (Read 4953 times)

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
What fish?
« on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:12 PM »
  What kind of fish can you catch in Alaska through the ice that we can't catch here in NYS.Fish that are'nt polluted don't count as a seperate species..LOL
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re:What fish?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:02 PM »
All our fish are polluted! ;D  That's what keeps tourists in the lower 48 from coming up, HAHAHAHA!  It's not the species, but perhaps the "quality" of the fishery we have. ;)  Seems like most Alaskans would rather fish in the summer and not ice fish.  We are the 10 percenter's! :)  

TEAM ALASKA

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2004, 02:38 PM »
I agree with Barleydog on this matter.  Although I grew up ice fishing in Wisconsin, there is a difference in the surroundings and atmosphere in Alaska.  Here it is easy to find a lake that holds fish and at the same time bring a rifle with you to try and call in fox, coyotes, etc... if the fishing is slow.  There is not near the amount of pressure on the lakes here during the winter months as there is in the lower 48.  Then there is adventure in having to fly or snowmachine out to certain areas as well.  Now I do miss fishing for walleye, musky, and crappie.  But when you consider the total picture, nothing compares to Alaska.  The hunting and fishing is unmatched anywhere in the U.S.  My first taste of the state was about 15 years ago when I was stationed here with the Air Force.  I came back because I missed the whole thing, not just the ice fishing.  The last couple of years I have only been able to venture out on local lakes (due to work) and caught my fair share of trout, char, and salmon.  This year, however, I am venturing out further into the area's ice fishing opportunities.  I work in a career field that at times sends me to some of the bush communities.  If the situation is right, I can try to icefish for sheefish, whitefish, burbot, salt water fish (way up north, if the ice is right), giant pike, grayling, and other species.  I would not move back to the lower 48 knowing I would be leaving behind a fortune in outdoor recreation and adventures.  There is too much to offer the sportsman.  I have hunted caribou 150 miles south of Prudoe Bay, hunted bear, commercial fished halibut in Prince William Sound, gone moose hunting, panned for gold,  dipnetted salmon on the Kenai and Copper Rivers, and many other trips to the field.  So, in short... there is no other place like Alaska.  Uh-oh, FLAG!! Gotta run!

Icy Mike

Offline alaskanman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2004, 06:24 PM »
well said icy mike!

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2004, 04:42 PM »
  Thanks and I also wish I was in Alaska enjoying the outdoors with you folks.Ice fishing salt water what a dream that would be.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2004, 11:00 PM »
Ditto Mike, well said! ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2004, 02:13 AM »
what kind of salmon do you get ice fishing.any lakers
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:18 PM »
Coho and Chinook salmon.  They are prodogy of the wild fish, that are limited in size due to the feed in most lakes.  Biggest I had caught was 20".  They break the "quite" time on most small lakes and kids love fishing for them, and they are tasty if you like Salmon.   Lot's of lakers scattered throughout the state.
TEAM ALASKA

Fishbones

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2004, 03:07 AM »
Well said ICYMIKE, I have never been to ALASKA,but have been in love with the thoughts of living there all my life,I would like to know,how could someone a smalltown guy from NEW ENGLAND like me get up there and started,what are the jobs,where can i look.thanks in advance.......Fishbone s <-{ ???

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2004, 11:16 PM »
Fishbones,

A good place to start looking is on the Work Place Alaska web site (you can go directly to the State of Alaska web page and click on 'jobs').  There are a number of links for job sources.  Another is ADN.com (Anchorage Daily News).  Then there are the old stand-bys of Monster.com and other national job sites.  Also look at USAjobs.  It posts federal government positions for the whole state.  Some federal jobs will even pay for relocation costs.  Or you can do what I did... join the military and hope they station you here.  But my best advice would be to travel up here once in the summer and once in the winter.   I think most people would agree that you will either love it here or hate it.  If your a skilled laborer you should not be too hard up to find work. The economy here is not like the rest of the lower 48.  Small business oportunities are plenty and for the most part competition is spread out.  What kind of work would you be looking for?

Icy Mike

Fishbones

« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2004, 02:05 AM »
I am 28 and make optical filters for a company here in Massachuttes,the filters go into telecomunications,space and aeronautics(nasa)and other goverment applications. I was also a chef for starwoods resorts,before my career change 4 years ago.i at least need to go on vaction there first.thanks for the info...Fishbones. :'(

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2004, 03:32 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of a sheefish? Im from NY, nd alrthough I've heard heard of them, I've never seen one. How big do they get, and do they fight hard?

-Zach

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2004, 05:14 PM »

A little known bonus to fishing in Alaska, the sheefish provides our guests with some fantastic fishing.

Sheefish, Stenodus leucichthys.

Common name: Inconnu

Description: large, wide mouth that extends beyond eye; caudal fin is forked; green blue or brown above, changing to light silver or white on sides and below; small non-sharp bands of teeth on top and bottom jaws; have large scales.

Similar fish: Mountain Whitefish, Prosopium williamsoni.

Where found: North America, with migration to Alaska and northern Canada.

Size: reaches 55 pounds and 49 inches.

Remarks: young feed on plankton, after first year becoming predatory; spawning is usually in late fall with the fish sometimes traveling up to 1,000 miles; fish do not feed during spawning season.

This member of the whitefish family nicknamed "Tarpon of the north" averages eight to fifteen pounds with fish up into the 30pound range taken each year. The Sheefish migrate into the Innoko River system throughout June and July to feed heavily on resident salmon smolt and pike fry before their fall migration up the Yukon River to spawn. During this two month feeding frenzy the fishing is generally down right fabulous. But... Because the Sheefish are a main river fish, fishing success is dependent on water clarity. If the main river is muddy, the fishing is tough. If the water clarity provides at least 18 inches of visibility the fishing is typically very good. The tackle required for Sheefish is identical as that for the pike, except on a smaller scale.

Sorry, the pictures would not post.  Try a internet word search, key word "sheefish".

Offline geckoinmypants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • YOU WANNA CATCH WHAT ?????
Re: What fish?
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2004, 10:11 AM »
Alaska sounds awesome. Would like to visit sometime. Just wish I could convince the wife. She said if you want to go, go, I think i'll have to take her advice. Anyone know of any guides there that do ice fishing trips up there? Perferably for trout and salmon, but hey i'll fish for anything !

SRRams82

« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2004, 05:03 PM »
how much ice do u guys get?salt and fresh. Im from NJ and the most I've ever seen we 20 inches and thasnk god we just got the power auger. Never leave without it. ;)

Offline doobie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2004, 10:26 AM »
icy mike, loved your report.  i'm from pa, but lived in anchorage for about 6 months.  want nothing more but to go back up north.  fished up there all summer long and it was a sportsmans dream.  could not imagine fishing through the ice there.  keep us posted with some more stories, it gives us guys in the lower 48 something to dream about.

thanks,               doobie

Ice_em

« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2004, 10:09 PM »
Im going to visit Alaska and Moose hunt! I wish I could move there but the familys to big here  :(

afro-on-ice

« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2004, 11:00 PM »
Howdy fellow fishers,
Im heading up to Alaska with a friend from June 3rd too the 17th and staying in the Anchorage area.  I was just woundering if any of you had any suggestions for a "must do list" partaining to the outdoors while im up there?  I have never been to Alaska and I can't wait to get up there and expierience some of it for myself.  Do any of you know of any good halibut charter or know of anyone who would be willing to take two 18 year olds out fishing for a day or two with us buying the bait or helpin out with some work?  We are flying up with his mom and are staying with some of his familly there and we were hoping to have a chance to catch some of the awesome halibut that we've heard a ton about. 
Thanks a lot,
Keep on fishin!
Shawn
PS.  The icefishin down here in NY this year has been pretty good as far as panfish go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.