Author Topic: Ice 35 for summer use  (Read 978 times)

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice 35 for summer use
« on: May 23, 2018, 02:06 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has tried this. I've got a ice 35 45 and 55. If I was to park my skeeter and jig would any of these work for summer fishing?
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice 35 for summer use
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 09:09 PM »
Be easier with the graphs you most likely have on the boat set to their widest beam.  The main difficulty in vertical jigging open water like that is keeping the bait in the cone.  Any wind or current that gets the boat moving around at all and it becomes an exercise in frustration.  Especially with a transducer just dangling over the side or bobbing around on a float.  Dual power poles will do the trick, or you've got to anchor off both ends and get it as tight as possible.  Crank the gain as high as you can stand it, that effectively widens the cone as well.  I've done it in boats and canoes, sometimes it works alright and some days it's not worth the hassle.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 10:15 AM »
Sonar is sonar. I ran a Vexilar FL-18 for many years as a bow mount unit while I stood moving and casting. Invaluable for following depth contours, identifying weeds, rocks or bottom transitions and yes, I was able to see my Bondy jigging right below my feet when I did that. Didn't always stay in the cone but enough, especially in water > 15', that I always knew where I was and what was happening.

If you have other tools, like a good graph, you can also see yourself vertically jigging but if you don't, any added technology like that is a game changer.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 11:27 AM »

I vertical jig occasionally, but movement will hinder

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.