Author Topic: Portable Sonar?  (Read 3508 times)

8mman

Portable Sonar?
« on: Feb 10, 2003, 04:26 PM »
I have a portable sonar that I was given and am wondering if it could possibly be used through the ice.  it is the kind that is self contained in it's own little tackle box type thing and I believe it is a hummingbird but don't quote me on it.  any one ever try? what would I have to do if I can? Why can't I if I can't?  

8MM :'( :'( ???  

Jam_Jam

Should be fine
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2003, 06:24 AM »
You should be able to use it if its already set up to be a portable unit with a power source and everything.  The main thing you'll have to do is make a device to hold the transducer at the proper angle at the BOTTOM of your hole.  I know someone mention how they did it somewhere around here...do a little searching with different key words and you should be able to find it.  Just be aware that you may have some problems with the LCD display on cold days (liquid crystal not so liquid)...that is why people prefer flashers for icefishing.  Otherwise you should be good to go.  Good luck!

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
Re: Portable Sonar?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2003, 07:49 AM »
I use a Eagle Fish Easy Lcr and it works great. I can see my jigs and the fish too. The way I use my transducer is by using a 1x1 and mounting it to where the wood is laying across my hole and the tranducer is angled perfectly.

sparkie

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2003, 03:14 PM »
I have a Hummingbird Jimmy Houston model that I use for icefishing and which  is powered by a jel battery from Cabelas.
It works great ,maybe not like an Fl-8 but it only cost me $90.00
I mounted a bubble level on top of the transducer and made a bracket out of a piece of 1/4 " thick  clear plastic which is fastened  to a piece of 1/2" pvc tubing that is cut to fit between the mounting yokes on the transducer. this is held in place with a 1/4" bolt thru the pipe and tightened with a wing nut. This allows for adjustment when leveling..
I suspend the transducer off of  12" piece of 1/4" allthread which has one end screwed into a hole tapped into the the center of the clear plastic piece and is locked tight with a 1/4" nut .
I cut 2- 3" discs of 1/2" foam board ,put a hole thru the center and slid them on the allthread down to a nut and flat  washer  and then  put another flatwasher on top which has a 1/4' wingnut on top of it .this allows for adjustment for thick ice by sliding the foam discs up and down the rod.
Secure the transducer wire to the allthread with a couple of tie wraps and you're ready to go.

The foam discs float the transducer like the more expensive one does  and I can see my jig and bait in 30' of water.

Good fishin.....

Offline fooman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2003, 03:47 PM »
sparkie I also have a Jimmy Houston flasher.Would you happen to have a pic of your transducer set-up?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.