Author Topic: Making tip-ups with Boy Scouts  (Read 33411 times)

Offline EclecticGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mia the wonder dog
Re: Making tip-ups with Boy Scouts
« Reply #60 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:18 PM »
oleike, I forgot to mention that I tried the electrical connector on the flag wand but it was too soft and bends too easily. The staples ended up being very easy and work great. The only tricky thing is that the staples need to be bent a bit so both arms are parallel. I also pre-drilled tiny holes before tapping them in place.

Offline EclecticGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mia the wonder dog
« Reply #61 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:04 PM »
Ok, I have a new idea on how to make the trip nub and handle without having a screw head inside the reel hub where it might abrade the line.

I drew the nub on the handle side just because I had a good photo angle to use. Disregard the handle. The basic idea is that a strip of tin, aluminum or brass (cut from a tin can or obtained from a hardware store or hobby shop) can be layered on the outside of the can. It is held in place by the hub axel and a small nail to keep it from spinning.

The same idea could be used for the handle except that the outer end would be left flat and square. A hole could be drilled and a bolt handle inserted, held on with a nut, and a piece of heat shrink put over it.

I think this is a workable idea and would not take a lot of time to make. I am not really happy with the commercial reels I've seen. The plastic ones are typically $2.00 and unless you can get them locally, cost a few bucks to ship ($5.00 or more). The aluminum ones I've seen are either cheepo like the one on my 40-up tip-up or expensive. I don't have any appropriately sized line spools to use so that is not an option and none of local tackle shops have them either. I am trying to get creative and come up with a simple reel that can be constructed by anyone without special tools (like a lathe) or hardware. The tin can lid idea has potential I think. Anyone else have any ideas using found materials?

So far, the most expensive components are the 2 8-32 wing nuts used to adjust the cross braces at 48 cents each.

Offline EclecticGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mia the wonder dog
« Reply #62 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:27 PM »
I am not sure what you are describing oleike.

I want to make 15 tip ups for my 2 sons and me and about 10-15 with the Scouts. I also am going to publish these plans so anyone can build one so I am looking for new ideas and alternatives to give people a choice. They can always choose to purchase a reel or build one or use an old line spool if they have one.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:36 PM »
I removed that last post...i forgot you needed to have the handle on one side and the trip on the other..sorry. :-\

Hey ..i am just looking at a tapered canle holder base..if you had two of them and put them together.....you would have a tapered reel. Try and find two tapered discs of any type. If you do not understand..i could take a photo..going for supper now though...tell me if you want a photo of the candleholder bases? The ones i have my eyes on here are big but the brainwave was good..might get you to thinking about another tapered thingy like this.There has to be some type of tapered lid that you can put two together like these candleholder bases......somewhere.S orry about the photo or lack of it.

Offline EclecticGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mia the wonder dog
« Reply #64 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:55 PM »
oleike, I'll keep my eyes open for similar sorts of candleholders are other things. I was fooling around with a cap to laundry detergent (liquid Tide), It might be possible to use them. Other ideas/suggestions welcome!

By the way, do you fly fish up there?

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:08 PM »
Use an old church key can opener from the inside of the real so the tab points outwords, a few strokes with a file will remove sharp edges.  If you look at any old brass fishercraft reels that is pretty close to what they use.

Offline EclecticGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mia the wonder dog
« Reply #66 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Thanks hillmann, that would work great for the trigger side. Any ideas for the handle side?

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:16 PM »
"or maybe some of that plastic coated metal that is used on bikes ...you know the shifter cable runs through it."

I'm loving this thread, it suits my way of thinking!  In the summer I make wooden bike fenders and come up with all kinds of ways to accent them and mount them on bikes that have no traditional way of mounting fenders. 
So the ingenuity of this thread fits right along those lines.

This idea of using cable housing really brought out more thinking out side the box and I love the concept of using tide bottom caps.  If you have some ribbon spools laying around they may also be a great way to spool line...ribbon for wrapping presents.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline EclecticGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mia the wonder dog
« Reply #68 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:21 PM »
Awesome fenders TrekJeff! I like the ribbon spool idea, I might be able to find those at a local fabric shop.

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:30 PM »
I agree very cool thread, The thought process of you guys is phenomenal.

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:39 PM »
Or use solder.

Offline EclecticGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mia the wonder dog
« Reply #71 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:40 PM »
Necessity is the mother of invention!

Actually, I was amazed that no where on the web can you find good plans with materials list and construction details for a tip-up. They are not that difficult to make. The challenge is designing one that anybody can build without special equipment or materials. I think we are there. Now, I just want to have a few options in case people can't find a particular item.

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:51 PM »
I have access to plastic spools (bait shop in the family) of almost any size but I much prefer the can lid spools because of thier look.  I desire to avoid plastic anywhere I can in my project.  I  do not plan to include a handle.  I am going to experiment with rivets to see if they have application for the tripping lug on the spool.  If the rivet idea is not going to happen, I am going to see how a small tripping bolt with a finish washer works.  The finish washer should be smooth enough to eliminate line wear or the possibility of the line getting snagged.

EG - one thing you may have to worry about is the trip wire forming a groove or depression in the top of your grease tube.  I am not familiar with the material you are using so this may not be an issue.  If you think this difficulty may arise,  a potential solution would be to make the tube shorter and add a staple covering just the trip wire above the tube. 

I also was amazed at the lack of good plans available for making tip ups.  You are changing that fact.

Offline EclecticGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mia the wonder dog
« Reply #73 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:12 PM »
teamtip-up, I think there are several options for using can lids without having a screw head that might snag the line. Your idea seems reasonable. I have some extra lids that I'll experiment with this week.

Thanks for the observation about the trip wire and the tube. I can use a small steel washer or even a "slippery" washer made out of milk bottle plastic at each end of the tube as well. So far though, the trip wire "floats" in tube and the bent ends don't touch the tube at all.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:43 PM »
Just maybe ..there is an inexpensive plastic or wood pulley out there somewhere. Like a pulley off of a small car alternator. I know my chev. 1/2 ton has a ligtweight idler pulley for the serpentine belt. Or how about contacting a electric motor company for pulleys. My empty fishing line spools look more like pulleys than spools. Tall and narrow. Just another thought...good night...zzzz

Offline EclecticGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mia the wonder dog
« Reply #75 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:40 PM »
Well, I'm busy drawing up the construction details and writing instructions - so stay tuned.

I have a couple of options on the reel - including the external tab idea I presented above, using 2 can lids sandwiched with the bolt head between them, and putting a plastic shield on the inside of the reel (cut from a milk bottle). I'll have photos of all of these later this week.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:12 PM »
I was out at home depot and another hardware store. I found some real nice poly tubing 1/4"..seethrough...quite stiff too , in the plumbing section.I got to thinking...if its see through then a person could monitor how much, and when to regrease.
 Another thought would be to use that hard plastic tubing they use on cars for suction..its black in color. For my fancy oak tipups i am going to use anodized aluminum arrow shafts for trip tubes...real nice stuff...all colors and diameters also.
Still looking for fancy trip wire...looked at taking apart a piano hinge...the centre pin is....... chrome ;D

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:16 PM »
I am going with cherry.  I am planning a bullet proof finish for it.   My grease tube will be micro air line hose. It's ID is just about the same as my trip wire which will keep water intrusion to a minimum when filled with grease.   It is probably the stuff you saw for suction.    My trip wire is going to be stainless welding wire.   I may be using a different tripping mechanism on the flag end.   I am experimenting now.    The one item I would like to change is the staples.   I would love to be able to press form pieces of brass sheet and attach with matching screws.  I just don't have the equipment or knowledge to do it. 

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:03 PM »
is the micro air line rigid or flexable..what type of material is it exactly..(plastic etc)

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:47 AM »
The tube is semi flexible plastic with a wall thickness  of 1/8"

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:17 AM »
brazing rod comes in amny diameters for trip wires. Also, the spool doesn't necessarily have to be round, think kite string spool

something similar but maybe an "X" spool
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline EclecticGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mia the wonder dog
« Reply #81 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:30 AM »
Teamtip-up, I was thinking about using copper for the trip tube straps. You can get it at Home Depot in the roofing department and it is very easy to cut and shape. Forming it around the tube should be easy. Then, either copper tacks or brass screws could hold it in place.

Where did you find the micro air line hose? and the stainless welding wire? I would like to see if I can find those locally too.

Bellybuster, the X spool is a good idea. I'll see what I can work up with creative use of materials!

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:18 PM »
well i went to a store and looked at brazing wire..but all they had was 1/16"..found it to be softer than imagined ..maybe the bigger dia. would be stronger though.The tig welding rod was far too expensive.
 Had a brain fart in bed again last night. I am going to the auto wreckers this aft. and getting some radio ariels off of cars...some of them are .....chrome
.... ;D. I will use them on my oak fancy tipups.
I was also wondering about brake line for tubes...a person can buy it in straight lengths..might be pricey though.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:30 PM »
Well, I'm busy drawing up the construction details and writing instructions - so stay tuned.

I have a couple of options on the reel - including the external tab idea I presented above, using 2 can lids sandwiched with the bolt head between them, and putting a plastic shield on the inside of the reel (cut from a milk bottle). I'll have photos of all of these later this week.

Hey EG...could you not use your can lids..but....find some thin walled pipe of large dia. but just less than that of the can lid by ...say...1"  for your reel hub. You dont need much of a lip on the reel to hold a lot of line.That way you could have your two screws for handle and tang inside of the reel hub and out of the way.You may get lucky and the pipe edge would fall into a groove in the can lid for a nice tight fit.Central vac tubing is about 2-21/2 inches and real thin walled.

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Jan 27, 2009, 03:08 PM »
Oleike

What would you use for the sides of the spool with the vac pipe?  Also,  how would you attach a smaller hub in the middle of it for the spool to rotate smoothly on?

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:09 PM »
I am going with cherry.  I am planning a bullet proof finish for it.   My grease tube will be micro air line hose. It's ID is just about the same as my trip wire which will keep water intrusion to a minimum when filled with grease.   It is probably the stuff you saw for suction.    My trip wire is going to be stainless welding wire.   I may be using a different tripping mechanism on the flag end.   I am experimenting now.    The one item I would like to change is the staples.   I would love to be able to press form pieces of brass sheet and attach with matching screws.  I just don't have the equipment or knowledge to do it. 

Hmmmmm. how about that bucket of brass from deer season...lol  Slice, dice and flatten.  Or some 3/8" copper pipe
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline EclecticGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mia the wonder dog
« Reply #86 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:57 PM »
Another option that I might try is to use a brass tube that your trip tube will slide in to tightly. Cut a 1/2" length (or so) of it and solder it to a 1/2" strip of brass - like this rough sketch:

I think this would look great - especially with a brass tube for the trip wire tube. In fact, if you used brass for the trip wire tube, you could just solder the cross straps directly too it for a really nice look. Small holes drilled in the angled pieces would let you screw this to the wooden upright.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Oleike

What would you use for the sides of the spool with the vac pipe?  Also,  how would you attach a smaller hub in the middle of it for the spool to rotate smoothly on?

You would still use your tin can lids for the sides. Like i stated earlier...hope to find some plastic pipe that would fit in the groove of the tin can lid...maybe some form of epoxy would be all that is required to hold the hub to the can lid.
Yes ..you would still need to have a centre shaft..but thats not so hard to come up with..the nice part is by having the plastic pipe for a hub you are eliminating those nasty screws inside where the line runs.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:35 PM »
Another option that I might try is to use a brass tube that your trip tube will slide in to tightly. Cut a 1/2" length (or so) of it and solder it to a 1/2" strip of brass - like this rough sketch:
(Image removed from quote.)

I think this would look great - especially with a brass tube for the trip wire tube. In fact, if you used brass for the trip wire tube, you could just solder the cross straps directly too it for a really nice look. Small holes drilled in the angled pieces would let you screw this to the wooden upright.

EG...go to the for sale thread and see this guys (Jcaughtem) homemade tip ups..there are some close up pics on how he did this with brass from homedepot. ITs not on the first page ...further in i believe. Nice tip ups

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:37 PM »
I learned about car ariels today....many, but not all , are tapered from bottom to top. Real nice stuff to work with..and its....well you know.......chrome........ :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.