Author Topic: heaters  (Read 4079 times)

Offline ojibwa6

• IceShanty Rookie
heaters
« on: Feb 09, 2020, 04:19 PM »
I have a 5 man hub which I use  a big buddy heater. I added a 1 man this year and was looking for suggestions on a heater which is smaller. there is a Mr Heater (15000 BTU) that hooks to a 1 lb or 20 pound tank ,you can also cook with it. Another  is the Buddy that holds 1lb tanks. Appreciate any suggestions.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: heaters
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2020, 04:29 PM »
I have a 5 man hub which I use  a big buddy heater. I added a 1 man this year and was looking for suggestions on a heater which is smaller. there is a Mr Heater (15000 BTU) that hooks to a 1 lb or 20 pound tank ,you can also cook with it. Another  is the Buddy that holds 1lb tanks. Appreciate any suggestions.

I have both the Mr Heater and the Little Buddy. The Mr Heater takes both 1 lb and I have a hose. I use it only with the hose because I think the 1 lb tanks wouldn't last well. I use it in my popup 4 person or Clam X300 when it isn't too cold.

For my 1 man flip-over Clam Blazer I only use the Little Buddy with 1 lb tanks (I always take a spare and then use them all up).  For me the issue is weight as I nearly always trudge the 1 man and a 20 lb tank is too heavy and too bulky.

Both would work just fine, but you wont cook over the little buddy.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline snowmandan76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2020, 04:31 PM »
I have an older clam uninsulated and here in western ny most days the propane lantern or the 1lb tank topper is just fine
Although they do get hot and an accidental tip the wrong way can make nice holes in the tent

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2020, 04:40 PM »
I have an older clam uninsulated and here in western ny most days the propane lantern or the 1lb tank topper is just fine
Although they do get hot and an accidental tip the wrong way can make nice holes in the tent

I bolted the base of a 1 lb tank stand to the floor of my sled so that it cannot tip over.  Works great. Keeps it away from the walls and other meltables.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2020, 04:53 PM »
I have both the Mr Heater and the Little Buddy. The Mr Heater takes both 1 lb and I have a hose. I use it only with the hose because I think the 1 lb tanks wouldn't last well. I use it in my popup 4 person or Clam X300 when it isn't too cold.

For my 1 man flip-over Clam Blazer I only use the Little Buddy with 1 lb tanks (I always take a spare and then use them all up).  For me the issue is weight as I nearly always trudge the 1 man and a 20 lb tank is too heavy and too bulky.

Both would work just fine, but you wont cook over the little buddy.

Ever thought about a 5lb or 11lb tank I have both and the 5lber lasted me all of deer season in the garage cutting up deer and 4 all day trips on the ice. 11lb last twice as long and half the weight of a 20lb
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2020, 04:57 PM »
Thought about it but when I want light, space is also an issue. When weight does not matter, I have the space too. I can even carry a spare 20 when it gets low.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2020, 04:59 PM »
Thought about it but when I want light, space is also an issue. When weight does not matter, I have the space too. I can even carry a spare 20 when it gets low.

Only reason I have a 5lber and an 11lber is because I got a grill given to me that has a 5lber thank you To the wifes Grandpa (RIP now) and I dont know where the 11lber came from just showed up one day lol. Might have been a scrap pile pick up
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2020, 05:08 PM »
I have a 2-person flipover Clam Trap Guide and the Mr Buddy portable heater.  The heater has 2 heat settings:  5k and 9k. It rarely gets below 0 degrees wher I fish and this heater works fine. I bought the Flameking rechargeable propane system and I can recharge the 1-lb bottles pretty inexpensively.  I never go thru more than 2 bottles in a day so I don't need to drag out a larger tank. I man haul my gear, so weight is a big issue for me.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2020, 05:37 PM »
I have a Clam Pro and heat it with a portable Buddy, works well for me.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:00 PM »
I have a 2-person flipover Clam Trap Guide and the Mr Buddy portable heater.  The heater has 2 heat settings:  5k and 9k. It rarely gets below 0 degrees wher I fish and this heater works fine. I bought the Flameking rechargeable propane system and I can recharge the 1-lb bottles pretty inexpensively.  I never go thru more than 2 bottles in a day so I don't need to drag out a larger tank. I man haul my gear, so weight is a big issue for me.

x2

Spend the money on the flame kit refills if you go the 1lb tank route. The peace of mind is worth every penny and they fill alot faster than disposable tanks do. I have a 2 man frabill with insulated top. I have never needed it over low and I usually unzip the top of my front door to let heat out because im sweating.

yesterday I fished in -1 and I was really warm.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:09 PM »
x2

Spend the money on the flame kit refills if you go the 1lb tank route. The peace of mind is worth every penny and they fill alot faster than disposable tanks do. I have a 2 man frabill with insulated top. I have never needed it over low and I usually unzip the top of my front door to let heat out because im sweating.

yesterday I fished in -1 and I was really warm.

I have 2 suitcase shapell a 2 man and a 4 man and I have a polar pal 1 man I use on light travel with no kids. I have a Dyna glow 360 heater and I have a little buddy and in any of my shacks on low heat I am always to warm and opening a door or losing layers

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:57 PM »
Have a one man thermal, a Eskimo quick fish three. If it is below 20 degrees with a little wind I will fire up the heater. I use the Mr Buddy portable. Has two settings, high and low! ;D Set to low and if it ain’t warm enough turn it to high. High has kept me warm enough to loose the gloves on minus zero days.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:45 PM »

I have the Mr. Heater/Cooker with a 5# tank and hose ($3.75 to fill it). Don't have to deal with hauling and disposing of those 1# grenades anymore. Used it this past weekend in my 2 man uninsulated hub, on low @ 0* outside...perfect. Even took my coat off.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2020, 12:08 AM »
I use a mr heater with a 5 lb tank..it's a great setup..the 20lb tank was just too big..cheaper for sure but needed the smaller 5 lb..i've just filled it up for the second time and I fish a lot..lasts a long time

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:09 AM »
Here is a heater idea that I use for my 1 man flipover Clam Blazer.

I fixed the base for a 1lb propane just behind where I sit. It never tips over and is easy to setup.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2020, 05:32 AM »
I use a mr heater with a 5 lb tank..it's a great setup..the 20lb tank was just too big..cheaper for sure but needed the smaller 5 lb..i've just filled it up for the second time and I fish a lot..lasts a long time

Yup. Spend about $3 each for the one pounders at Walmart. Or....about $40 for a 5# tank through Amazon and fill it for the same price as a one pounder. Not to mention the 5# tank takes up as much space as 4 one pounders. The upfront cost is a little more but in the long run...money and time ahead. No brainer for me.

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2020, 05:38 AM »
Yup. Spend about $3 each for the one pounders at Walmart. Or....about $40 for a 5# tank through Amazon and fill it for the same price as a one pounder. Not to mention the 5# tank takes up as much space as 4 one pounders. The upfront cost is a little more but in the long run...money and time ahead. No brainer for me.

same here..I've never even used a 1 pounder in it..just bought the hose, tank and filter right off the batt..pays for itself after 3 or 4 fills vs buying the 1 pounders..

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:06 AM »
same here..I've never even used a 1 pounder in it..just bought the hose, tank and filter right off the batt..pays for itself after 3 or 4 fills vs buying the 1 pounders..

If using a mr heater weather it be the big buddy or  little buddy if you are using a 5lb 11lb or 20lb tank if you buy hose model #F273704 no filter is required. Just and FYI for guys

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:20 AM »

If using a mr heater weather it be the big buddy or  little buddy if you are using a 5lb 11lb or 20lb tank if you buy hose model #F273704 no filter is required. Just and FYI for guys

X2

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2020, 02:05 PM »
X2
X3 I have this same setup. Works great! Find a propane dealer that charges you for how much they fill the tank. Some places near me will charge $10 to fill my five pound tank even if its half full. Uhaul will charge about $2 to fill it half way.

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2020, 02:12 PM »

yep..was aware of that but already had a hose for my coleman portable bbq so I just snatched that up to use it and got a filter..was going to get the hose but it being 10 feet long I still probably will use the filters and a 5 foot hose..it takes long enough to purge the air from the 5 foot hose to get it going..maybe one day they'll off a 5 foot version..

Offline DTube

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2020, 02:18 PM »
I have a Clam 2 man flip and the little buddy works great. The Big buddy works great for the 8x8 pop up, but is big and bit heavy -- the Hunting Buddy seems to be the sweet spot, and if you have dewalt 20v max -- the Dewalt version with usb ports, a light, would be nice. (although a little pricey, especially if you do not have a dewalt battery).  The Mr Heater cooker is another option. I recently got the Flame King refillables and could not be happier. No more messing with the colemans and leaks after refilling.
If you need a machine and don’t buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don’t have it. - Henry Ford

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2020, 02:43 PM »
X3 I have this same setup. Works great! Find a propane dealer that charges you for how much they fill the tank. Some places near me will charge $10 to fill my five pound tank even if its half full. Uhaul will charge about $2 to fill it half way.

I wait til both 5 and 11lb tanks are empty and just let them charge me for a 20lb tank which at my hardware store is like $7-$8

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:29 PM »
....about $40 for a 5# tank through Amazon

Link? Thats a great price
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:32 PM »

Cheapest I see on amazon is 60

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:44 PM »
Looks like the price came down at HD, its been closer to 55-60 for the last year or two ive been checking. Thanks!!
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Looks like the price came down at HD, its been closer to 55-60 for the last year or two ive been checking. Thanks!!

Yes 55-60 is usually the going price if I was in market I would jump all over the hd price

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2020, 04:09 PM »

They are out. There was only 2 or 3 left when I ordered a couple of weeks ago. Only available through other sellers.  :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.