New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake  (Read 24165 times)

Offline fredk1029

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Silver lake
« Reply #60 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:12 PM »
How thick was the ice out there? I hope to go this saturday

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Ice was 3.5-5 inches that I saw.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #62 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:20 PM »
bite is late this year. was out for 4 hours last night. 30ft of h2o...couple small crappie and 1 perch

Offline fredk1029

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:50 PM »
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it! Hope to get some this Saturday. I will let u all know how I do.

Offline bigew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:16 AM »
Went to Silver Lake Yesterday around 1 pm  setup below Camp Asbury.  Ice was 3-4" thick. Small perch lots of 4" maybe 5" Not many people on the ice
"

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 13, 2015, 02:40 PM »
bite is late this year. was out for 4 hours last night. 30ft of h2o...couple small crappie and 1 perch
Where were you when you were in 30 FOW and how thick was the ice?  I want to get to the mid lake mud flats for perch.  I would like to know from any of you guys if anyone has been out from Traber Rd. or Buffalo Point on the West side or the Pines or the Wyoming County Access on the East Side.  If not have you seen anyone mid lake?

Keep on hauling
Perch Chacer

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 13, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Where were you when you were in 30 FOW and how thick was the ice?  I want to get to the mid lake mud flats for perch.  I would like to know from any of you guys if anyone has been out from Traber Rd. or Buffalo Point on the West side or the Pines or the Wyoming County Access on the East Side.  If not have you seen anyone mid lake?

Keep on hauling
Perch Chacer
I go right off the town park, close to standpipe rd. Ice was (at the time) 4in of mixed.

Offline Don-NY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I have a lot to learn
« Reply #67 on: Jan 17, 2015, 05:09 PM »
Going to try tomorrow if it aint raining to hard. Never ice fished silver lake before. Going to try for perch/pans. and throw a few tip ups out also. I will be dragging a blue sled and using a 6" nils auger. If your out there look for 2 guys, both tall, one fat (me). Dont think I will need the shelter tomorrow at 35-40 degrees.

Offline slabspanker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i sell wood and wood products
« Reply #68 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:48 AM »
First time ever here. Fished 1-17 all day started out getting bait at Ackerman's Sunoco then walked on off Mack's.  kept moving drilled 20 holes from 5- 30 FOW caught 20 perch 6"  Had lunch at Mack's then went to the north end and did the same effort over 20 holes and all little perch out to 35 FOW. ALSO HAD 5 TIP UPS WITH big shiners out every time we moved. we missed one. Took the shiner that was hooked on a treble but no flag? where are the perch over 8"?
wood is good

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:32 AM »
Has the water cleared up at south end yet?

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 18, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Has the water cleared up at south end yet?
We were there Friday night looking for the crappie, half way between macks and the state launch..11ft of H2O clarity wasn't horrible...id say bout 3ft down

Offline Don-NY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I have a lot to learn
« Reply #71 on: Jan 18, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Decided to go to Conesus. fished golden shiners, rosies, waxies, jiggin rap,  white, pink, yellow, orange jig heads. not one bite. 8' fow to the left of Vitale.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 19, 2015, 04:03 PM »
Fished Silver this morning. 4 shelters on the whole lake. Not 1 fish. We didn't even mark any. Fished off Mack's in 5-15 feet of water. Bare bottom or in the weeds didn't make a difference. My first skunk ever for me here. Been fishing this lake a long time.

Offline IceRanger81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 19, 2015, 06:12 PM »
First time ever here. Fished 1-17 all day started out getting bait at Ackerman's Sunoco then walked on off Mack's.  kept moving drilled 20 holes from 5- 30 FOW caught 20 perch 6"  Had lunch at Mack's then went to the north end and did the same effort over 20 holes and all little perch out to 35 FOW. ALSO HAD 5 TIP UPS WITH big shiners out every time we moved. we missed one. Took the shiner that was hooked on a treble but no flag? where are the perch over 8"?

There isn't any they are all long gone nothing but dinks!! Honestly it's a wonder there is a fish left in that lake. I would hate to guess how many pounds of fish were taken out of Silver the last two years!! The gill's have been on fire right along with everything else. Give it a few years it's trying to heal its wounds! Lol! I need to make a correction, TAKE YOUR TIP UP's she is loaded with big fat PIKE!!

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:31 PM »
If I had to pick a place to start fishing here it would be deep.  The floating docks at the launch were on dry land for the last month they were in.  The lake was very low before the ice came!  But I would lean towards it being fished out!  ::)

Offline Silverlakeslammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:48 PM »
To the people who think it's fished out your absolutely nuts!!! my buddy went there on Saturday  and came home w 30 keeper gills and a couple perch. I didn't believe him but saw the pictures. That lake is to healthy to ever get fished out. I caught more gills and crappies of my dock this past summer screwing around w my 2 year old nephew then I have in 5 years of having a place on the lake. also the shocking report from DEC would blow ur mind away if u new how good that lake is! Can't wait to get out there Sunday!!

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:53 PM »
I caught most of them out of here last year...sry guys

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:54 PM »
I had such a slow day silverlakesslammer I caught nothing. At all. Might be the location, I've had luck in the past. I know there are fish in there somewhere but I definitely couldn't find them last week. Could you elaborate on DEC findings I'm intrigued.

Offline trouts

• IceShanty Rookie
  • crappibass crappibass where are you?
« Reply #78 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:25 PM »
For those who think it's too big and healthy to be fished out, just ask anyone who fished Chautauqua pre-crappiethon.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:39 PM »
Icerogue did do his part lol... I remember that crappie limit pic from last year!

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:24 PM »
Icerogue did do his part lol... I remember that crappie limit pic from last year!
lol to be fair...it was the only one I took out of there.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:32 AM »
Silver is far from fished out. The lake is 750 acres and maybe 6 or 7 acres get fished hard in the winter. Does anyone really think all the fish travel south to Mack's in the winter so they can get caught? The lake was weird last year. the water was very low and the algae was thick. It was almost impossible to troll because of the slime building up on the line. I think that is what is a big reason for the murky water. I'm not a biologist, but 20 years ago I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express ;D.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:41 AM »
Hey Doubles. Saw you on Seneca a few times last year. I hope we can repeat this year.  Back to Silver. Last year we had the same problem so I just moved around a lot more and fished the north shore. Tried some new areas and did well on the pike and gills. That was later in the season though. Fished out - nope  ;)

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:53 AM »
Hello Pequod, Yes, can't wait for Seneca. That's all my buddy and I talk about when we're fishing. Silver can be a tough lake at times. Very fertile and far from fished out.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:22 AM »
only idiots would keep saying it's fished out. you just got to search for them.  last season I came out 12 times. got skunked maybe 4 times but other times, I got some nice bags of fillets. and I stayed away from the "pack". sure she can be a tough at times but she rewards you very well with some patience. very healthy lake.
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 20, 2015, 12:08 PM »
Hard4ice I completely agree. I get skunked there quite a bit but once you locate the fish you leave with buckets full.

Offline jamey0921

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 20, 2015, 12:59 PM »
hard4ice.. well said!!

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:58 PM »
It's fished out

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #88 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Its really not fished out just been fished hard. Quality of fish is far from standard and its been that way for a few years especially for pan fish. Don't go into this lake thinking you will limit out on 12" Perch or even 9" Perch those days are pretty well gone. Are there fish that big in there Yeah there are just no numbers Expect fish in the 4 to 7" range maybe toss a few 8's in there on a good day. Gills? I have seen some real hogs in that lake again not many through the ice in the last few years but Like others said get away from the crowds. Pike Well I have slammed some real pigs there. Some well into the 30" class and a few pushing 40" Most however run in the mid 20's Finding them ? Anywhere on that lake I've gotten some real hogs over 30FOW and of course anything around weeds will work. Walleyes?  My biggest eyes came off that lake. Fish pushing the 30" bracket was the biggest that was in open water Most Eyes are in the 20" bracket. Where and how? Secret Sorry. I put my time in fishing this lake maybe close to 40 years now. Is it a tough lake to figure out? nope not really I use basically two lures on this lake both of them are my own homemade lures. One thing I will tell you and you can take this any way you want.. I do not fish Florescent colors on this lake. If the water is clear stick with natural colors of browns Purples blacks and the brightest I use is orange. Many time people over jig these fish. Slow down go subtle jigging. That's about all I will say on this. I got my thoughts on why this Lake sees so many small fish but I wont air it here.

Offline Silverlakeslammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:58 PM »
Cold feet u ever have any luck in the winter for eyes? I have my spots for summer but never ventured to em in the winter. Usually just chase crappies,gills and northern but if we get good ice Im hoping to jig one up this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.