Author Topic: Rod case options  (Read 3741 times)

Offline mnhunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
Rod case options
« on: Jan 14, 2019, 11:45 AM »
Looking for a new rod case, I have a larger hard case for traveling with the atv and a soft case for less rough times but have had a couple of tips broken on my panfish rods while in a rod sock in a soft case so I'm looking for something with more protection then just a soft case. Ideas?

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
Re: Rod case options
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:37 PM »
Check out the Eagle Claw model. It is large and fits 6 rods vertically so you can put the rods in with jigs on and not have a rats nest when you take them out.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:14 PM »
I licked up a 40" long gun case (Plano) at Walmart fro $35. Works great and I can fit up to a 40"rod inside it.
Chasing Ice

Offline shoeshineman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:24 PM »
I bought the eagle claw case this year and I love it. I'm kicking myself for not buying it earlier. Totally worth it.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:47 PM »
I licked up a 40" long gun case (Plano) at Walmart fro $35. Works great and I can fit up to a 40"rod inside it.

Did the same thing but got a Plano bow-max case (same case as the breakdown shotgun case). It fits my 3 30” rods great.

Gun cases are great alternatives if you don’t need maximum tank-proof protection.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:01 PM »
MTM Arrow Plus Case

they are perfect for just a few rods.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:40 PM »
I have a Flambeau AR case that has worked well for me.  It holds plenty of rods in it but I do have to fold the handles down when storing them for transport.  I was looking at the Clam Hard side locker or the Trophy Angler Black Widow that does not appear to require folding handles when storing.  My Flambeau takes up a lot of room in the bottom of my flipover sled as well.  I like the looks of the Eagle Claw but the latches seem very difficult to open on the ones I looked at on the shelf and seem like they would break easy, but it gets a lot of positive suggestions on this site so it is probably a great choice for the money.  Anyone use the Trophy Angler that can give a review on it. 

I would say the Flambeau case is a good option as well but it has a big footprint.  Here is the link to the one I have.  https://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/ar-tactical-gun-case.aspx

I did not install the extra pieces in mine.

jr50

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:33 PM »
I had an Eagle Claw for two seasons and it is holding up. I agree with the latches being tight. I wonder if there is a fix?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
<===Lefty===

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:02 AM »
I have a Flambeau AR case that has worked well for me.  It holds plenty of rods in it but I do have to fold the handles down when storing them for transport.  I was looking at the Clam Hard side locker or the Trophy Angler Black Widow that does not appear to require folding handles when storing.  My Flambeau takes up a lot of room in the bottom of my flipover sled as well.  I like the looks of the Eagle Claw but the latches seem very difficult to open on the ones I looked at on the shelf and seem like they would break easy, but it gets a lot of positive suggestions on this site so it is probably a great choice for the money.  Anyone use the Trophy Angler that can give a review on it. 

I would say the Flambeau case is a good option as well but it has a big footprint.  Here is the link to the one I have.  https://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/ar-tactical-gun-case.aspx

I did not install the extra pieces in mine.

jr50

Thats the gun case I use for my rods. Thought it was plano, but this is the one. Nice case and works perfect for even my laker rods. deeper than most other gun cases too.
Chasing Ice

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2019, 01:03 PM »
My old Clam soft sided is taking a dump. I'm considering going to that Otter hard box, but man, 109.00 is a bit steep.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:59 PM »
I'm looking at the  Eagle Claw rod case does anyone know if it is any different than the Flambeau Ice Rod Case? They seem to be pretty much alike. The  Eagle Claw is hard to find.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:17 PM »
I use the Otter Rod box. I carry 5 rods in it all the time. Never had any damage since I've started using it. I see now that Kolpin has a hard rod case too that can be used with their Stronghold latch.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:40 PM »
You can make them out of PVC or golf club tubes, get them big enough to fit your guides. I cut a 1/4 slot maybe 6 inches down the end to clear the line, and shove the rod in tip first. I also cut a wider slot maybe 1 inch long to fit the reel foot. If you are careful, you can make it snug on the reel foot to provide a little security. I have also seen people cut the slot for the reel seat like an "L", so the reel seat goes in, and then over, locking the rod in the tube. I use this on my sled, it is long enough and big enough I leave the baits in place, and just holster them as I move. PVC pipe is sturdier, golf club tubes are lighter.

:tipup:

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:41 PM »
Good idea
 :thumbsup:
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:49 PM »
I'm looking at the  Eagle Claw rod case does anyone know if it is any different than the Flambeau Ice Rod Case? They seem to be pretty much alike. The  Eagle Claw is hard to find.

Not sure if they are identical size but from looking at the Flambeau it looks like it has a foam top insert.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:47 PM »
Not sure if they are identical size but from looking at the Flambeau it looks like it has a foam top insert.

Physically exterior yes, same.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:02 AM »
I like the Plano take down gun case. Haven't had a broken rod tip in years with them. Will hold a 34" rod.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:50 PM »
I’ve had my Eagle Claw for two seasons n love it a little bulky but open and grab a rod ready to fish.

Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:24 PM »
I use the Striker Transporter case.  It has tubes for 5 rods and I put 2 more shorter ones in the upper compartment.   I bit the bullet after snapping two rod tips in a plastic hard case. 
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:31 PM »
Vexan semi hard sided cases are great,  just got mine,  I can fit 8 and 8 thin 3600 Plano boxes in it and there is still room for other stuff.... awesome.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:49 AM »
Check out the Eagle Claw model. It is large and fits 6 rods vertically so you can put the rods in with jigs on and not have a rats nest when you take them out.

I have this rod locker and like it, but not 100% as it doesn't give enough room for the reel handles when 3 rods are in on each end.
Not liking having to either remove the reels, or take handles off.
Guess I could just downsize to only bringing 4 combo sets, but I usually use at least 3 pre-rigged for quickly dropping down on panfish when I miss a hookup, and like to have the other 3 as spares for when someone needs one.
Otherwise it works except for the reels and the fact its so long it doesn't fit inside my Eskimo Wide1 Inferno sled, so cannot pull cover over all the gear I'm carrying.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2019, 01:43 PM »
I get 6 combos with reels no problem. I just have to loosen up the reels and fold the handle in.

A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline SDPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2019, 02:38 PM »
I've had that Eagle Claw one for a couple seasons and I like it a lot. You do have to fold in the handles to get 6 rods in there and it's pretty tight. Works great and protects the rods nice. I think they're like $50.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:09 PM »
I put some vaseline on the handles and it works great.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2019, 10:14 PM »
I cut a piece of plexi 6" wide and as long as the perimeter of my soft case (ex 30×2 +12x2). Heat and bend it to make the corners and place it inside. Turned my soft case into a hard case!

Offline nadamamasboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2019, 02:34 PM »
I cut a piece of plexi 6" wide and as long as the perimeter of my soft case (ex 30×2 +12x2). Heat and bend it to make the corners and place it inside. Turned my soft case into a hard case!

Great idea! I might try this, as my soft case has cost me some rod tips

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:32 PM »
I get 6 combos with reels no problem. I just have to loosen up the reels and fold the handle in.

You are very organized! I have the same case. Thanks for the picture and ideas.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:35 PM »
Depending on rods.  I don't recommend anything with weight in the middle compartment of the Eagle claw ice rod.  Unless you have it strapped down or get some other foam padding that fits right in there to protect your rods from the boxes.

After all some people are tough on their equipment, while others are not.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.