Author Topic: Spark Plug Gap Incorrect From Factory For Eskimo Augers.  (Read 2847 times)

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
My two brothers each bought new Eskimo Z71 augers from Cabelas on the same day. . Both augers on initial startup ran rough and shook a lot at idle . After spending a day on the ice I can say both augers under load performed well  with no issues. They both ran a little better at idle than initial start up but still weren't running the way they should. When we got home we decided to pull the plugs on both units. The spark plug gap for the Z71 should be .024. One plug was at 0.040 and the second was at 0.037. After re-gapping the plugs and adjusting the idle screw both augers run way better. Moral of the story check spark plugs once in a while even if the auger is new.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spark Plug Gap Incorrect From Factory For Eskimo Augers.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Shoot them an email maybe they'll send you free plugs, just be sure to gap them  ;D

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2018, 10:13 PM »
Sometimes a new out of the box the box unit can run a little choppy until it’s fully broken in. Keep a screwdriver handy , you might have to make an adjustment once it’s broken in.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2018, 06:55 AM »
May need to adjust carb. Where are you located? If in high elevation that might be the difference.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Can’t really blame the machine manufacturers if the spark plug comes out of the box with the wrong gap. I’m sure the people who put the augers together do not check spark plug gap, out of the box and screw into machine. The setup people are not mechanics. And a new machine bought from a big box store will almost always need slight carb adjustment no matter if lawn mower, chainsaw, or auger. That is why if you don’t know what you are doing it is always best to pay a little more and buy from a dealer who does pre-delivery setup.

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Can’t really blame the machine manufacturers if the spark plug comes out of the box with the wrong gap. I’m sure the people who put the augers together do not check spark plug gap, out of the box and screw into machine. The setup people are not mechanics. And a new machine bought from a big box store will almost always need slight carb adjustment no matter if lawn mower, chainsaw, or auger. That is why if you don’t know what you are doing it is always best to pay a little more and buy from a dealer who does pre-delivery setup.

Your right. When I bought my LawnBoy lawnmower ,the store spent 2 days getting ready and all adjusted up. That was 3 years ago. I've never had an issue and she runs great.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Specially things like chainsaws and power augers are going to need new out of box adjustments.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Specially things like chainsaws and power augers are going to need new out of box adjustments.

ANYTHING with an engine must be first filled with fuel and started up BEFORE it can be adjusted for proper running.  Cars and trucks have already had this done before they hit the dealers sales lot.  Lawn mowers, leaf blowers, garden tillers, ice augers, etc. are usually sold "dry" and have never been fired up.  The last new engine I purchased caused me to also purchase a new tool to be able to adjust the hi and low speed needles in the carb.  Can't use just a screwdriver anymore, takes a shaped tool to turn the needle in or out.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2018, 09:44 AM »
i fix and build many 2 stroke and  4 stroke engines.mainly build Tecumseh engines for old school minibikes now.i have never gapped a sparkplug in my life.probably more of carb adjustments were needed than running rough from a wrong spark plug gap..everything seems to need a little tune out of the box these days.junk cheap 12 dollar carbs on china engines.

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:28 AM »
i fix and build many 2 stroke and  4 stroke engines.mainly build Tecumseh engines for old school minibikes now.i have never gapped a sparkplug in my life.probably more of carb adjustments were needed than running rough from a wrong spark plug gap..everything seems to need a little tune out of the box these days.junk cheap 12 dollar carbs on china engines.
"junk cheap 12 dollar carbs on china engines."

Well said DR.  :)

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:20 AM »
 Yes we are at higher elevations here in Alberta. When I used to run the the fishing store people brought augers back often and I ran them over to the repair shop for so called warranty tune. The guys always called back and said these need a slight tune for our altitude here and that is all they ever did.
 When I bought my Stihl blower a couple years ago the shop asked me to wait a day so the boys could fire it up and run it first to make sure it was tuned before I took it home. Has always ran like a top and especially this winter with all the snow we have had it really gets over worked.
 When we buy an ice auger we go to the big box store take it home pop gas in it and expect miracles. Maybe it is time these small engine shops start selling these and actually get them ready before people take them out then have issues such as this one in the post that sounds like it has been on going based on this and the other forum.

"junk cheap 12 dollar carbs on china engines."

Well said DR.  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.