Author Topic: Homemade Jerky  (Read 12252 times)

Offline Basswacker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Homemade Jerky
« Reply #30 on: Oct 23, 2016, 09:13 AM »
I agree, goose jerky is outstanding.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 23, 2016, 04:19 PM »
Great now you got me going to..

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 25, 2016, 05:59 PM »
Hi-Mountain does have some great flavors , but for the past 2 yrs. or so, I have been using jerky spice mixes from Cabela's. We really like the BBQ flavor, as well as the Peppered jerky mix. I mix 4lbs. of venison burger, even though the spice packets say to use 5 lbs., it gives it a bit more flavor. The spice packs come 3 to a box & costs around $8.00. I also use a Cabela's Jerky Blaster, it holds more ground meat & gets the prep done quicker. I prefer to let mine set at least 6 hrs. before I  start to put it on the racks. This spice mix also works well w/ steak & roast jerky, just let it marinate at least 12 hrs.. I used to mix my own  jerky spices, but this is a lot easier & I have been happy w/ the results.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 30, 2016, 12:48 PM »
Great now you got me going to..

I have the same smoker..
Back to the dehydrator -try making some homemade blue gill chip's. Use a  mild salt water brine I use a teaspoon per 2 cups of water. Brine no more than a hour- rinse thoroughly pat dry- use your favorite dry seasonings from garlic to chilly powder taco seasoning plain salt ect. ect ect. A billion different ways to season. Dehydrate until  it reaches what your taste are. I've done them to slightly crisp and chewy or all the way crispy. Great snack on and off the ice!!!! Great thing about dehydrator's and smokers the possibilities are endless!!!!!!
Ross 
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline Icetothebone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 11, 2016, 06:02 AM »
Try allreceipies.com, they have several marinades rated by thousands of users, I've used a couple from their making goose breast jerky, turned out awesome.  Cooked in my oven, low heat with door cracked open, as easy as it gets!!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 13, 2016, 08:43 PM »
I'm with Missoula on the jerky gun idea.  Otherwise, if you slice it from muscle, you can't get all of those small shoulder cuts and trimmings.  I have a Nesco, but may get a better one.

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 16, 2016, 07:47 AM »
I've used this recipe for 30 years and no one has ever complained.  Well, once I guess, but he never got any more after that.  Simple.

Jerky Recipe

1 ½ sup Soy Sauce
1 tsp liquid smoke
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp Ginger
¼ to ½ tsp tobacco sauce (more if you like it HOT)
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp liquid garlic
Slice meat with the grain to you desired thickness, about 3 to 4 lbs.  Soak slices in mixture 4 to 6 hours (I think overnight gets it a bit too salty).  Heat/dry in oven at 150 or in dehydrator.

YUMMY!
I tried this recipe a couple days ago and did jerky in my convection oven.  They came out really good. The only tweak I did was  instead of the tabasco I used Frank's Red Hot just for flavor instead of heat.

Offline fishslayer88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Nov 18, 2016, 12:10 PM »
 Just an addendum to all the great replies...I've been making my own jerky for over twenty years now, whole and ground meat. I generally use the some of the store-bought mixes for ground meat (like High Mountain and Nesco's) because they are tasty and easy. With whole meat, I always use the simplest recipe of 1 cup soy sauce (soy sauce that you like, BTW! I like LaChoy, some brands are way too salty...) to 1 TB Worchestshire with a touch of onion and garlic powder. Let it marinate at least overnight and there you go.   Also add some dried hot pepper powder if I want it spicy. Simple delicious flavor that I've used with everything from venison and beef to goose and fish. And you can add any spice or seasoning you like to it and it's always good! Simple, I know...  :)

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 03, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Highmountain mix is good stuff.  For drying the meat, I tried a new method this year that I saw on Alton Browns food network show. I bought 3 cheap 20x20 furnace air filters and laid the meet on them like racks. Then bungee chord the stacked filters to a cheap box floor fan that was propped up on some blocks.  Just turn on the fan and it dries the meat without any heat needed. The flavor was much more intense and we really liked it.  Stored the dried jerky in vacuum backs with the a dessicant packet and even after 8 months, a fresh opened back was fantastic. Now, you don't get the awesome smokey flavor from a smoker, but it the jerky really was very good.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline littlemelon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2016, 10:52 AM »
I like to do goose jerky in the oven, it is a 3 day process; but kind of pain, but good and bad.
I learned the hard way my first time making jerky in the oven, line the bottom of your oven with foil. Mom kicked my butt from here till next Tuesday, the drippings where all over of the bottom of the oven.
I can remember my father making Bear jerky years ago, it was a sweet /hot taste, I have know idea where that recipe is.
I am going to pass on a legend.
This is for the goose jerky:
8 cups of water
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1/3 cup pickling salt
a handful of garlic cloves
4 beef bouillon cubes
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon season salt
1 tablespoon Tabasco
have your goose slice in 1/4" to 1/2" strips
Brine everything over-night
Next day gently rinse
Assemble the goose meat with tooth-pics
and put on the oven racks.
Have your oven on the lowest setting
Have your oven door cracked open.
You will know when it is done.
Sometimes at the half-way point, I well take several pieces and roll them in honey and crushed red peppers.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2017, 01:04 PM »
One more vote for the Hi-Mountain stuff.  I like their hickory blend.  Yes it is reminiscent of the King B stuff of years ago.  If you like commercial jerky it is an excellent way to go to emulate that.

I wouldn't use a dehydrator that can't get internal temp of game meat above 160 deg F.  Drying is OK for apples, but I prefer cooked (pasteurized) meat products.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline fd757

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2017, 11:50 PM »
I just started last year. High mountain is great. My family use to live in Idaho and my dad grew up eating King B jerky. We now live in Michigan and could not get King B anywhere near here. Last year I surprised him with some venison jerky using the pepper recipe and he loved it. It taste a lot like the King B flavor he misses. I can't make it right now, my wife is pregnant and doesn't do well with different smells. So I will have to stock up and wait until after the baby is born to start making more jerky.

I also bought the High mountain jerky cutting board. It makes it really simple to slice up uniformed pieces. I suggest getting that as well.
Mmmm King B!!!!  My mouths a watering!!!  The best!

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Aug 04, 2017, 09:15 PM »
Been using the method I saw Alton Brown use on the Good East show. Bought a box fan for $11 and a pack of 20x20 AC air filters. Sandwich the meat between 2 filters and then bungee cord to fan on high to dry. Makes fantastic natural old style jerky. Simple teryaki or pepper brine is all you need overnight. Tried the same method with beef, venison, and even lamb...all tastes great. Keep the desiccant packs from other store bought jerky and put in a ziplock back. If longer storage, I use the vacuum sealer. 
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:24 PM »
I give a huge jar of homemade jerky to my father and FIL every Father's Day and X-mas and they love it.

I basically use Alton Brown's recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe-2103581

1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.

Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Line dehydrator trays and dehydrate at 90-100*F for 12-18 hours.

I will usually triple the flank steak quantity (to ~5 lbs) and quadruple the brine recipe (2-2/3rd cup soy sauce, 2-2/3rd cup worcestershire, etc). You will definitely want a lot of this jerky.

A couple other tips/things I do:
-Lean, well-trimmed flank steak is the KEY- it is a little pricey but worth it. Have the butcher custom trim it for you before buying then trim even more fat off at home yourself.
-Freeze the flank steaks an hour and then flip, freeze another 1-2 hours.
-Slice for a thickness about like thick cut bacon.
-halve the amount of honey, because I find that the full amount keeps the jerky from getting dry enough.
-Marinade for 10-12 hours, not 3-6. And shift around the bag contents every 2-3 hours during marinading to distribute everything evenly
-pre-drying the marinated jerky with paper towels less or more will control some of the flavor/saltiness. Dry more for milder jerky, leave it wet for stronger taste.
-re-season the jerky lightly with salt and ground black peppercorns after lining the strips in the dehydrator trays

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Dec 29, 2017, 06:19 AM »
Sriracha sauce adds a nice touch
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:19 AM »
My basic beef jerky recipe for the dehydrator;

As much lean beef as you want - I buy the eye of round in vacuum packs and trim them really well. Cut the pieces into strips about an 1/8th inch thick or so. Make sure to trim all fat and silver flesh as it is gross in jerky. If you slice along the grain it is chewy, across is easier to bite.

For the marinade - I don't tend to use measures, I have been making it for about 15 years and have excellent results.

About a cup of soy sauce.
A few squirts of liquid smoke
A few big dollops of oyster sauce (this stuff adds a real beefy flavour to it, I kid you not)
A few shakes of Worcester sauce
A good spoonful or so of powdered ginger, cayenne pepper and garlic powder (add more or less of each per your taste but I wouldn't go too heavy on ginger or garlic)
A heap of freshly ground black pepper.
If you want heat add some tabasco or sriracha sauce but go easy as it can be overpowering
Marinate overnight.

I just bought a Cabelas 6 rack dehydrator this spring and I highly recommend it. I get good results in half the time of my old unit.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:44 PM »
Try allreceipies.com, they have several marinades rated by thousands of users, I've used a couple from their making goose breast jerky, turned out awesome.  Cooked in my oven, low heat with door cracked open, as easy as it gets!!

Look for jalapeno, Dr. Pepper jerky on the allrecipe site. Amazing flavor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.