Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 822470 times)

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #870 on: Jan 01, 2014, 10:34 PM »
this is by far the most informative thread I've seen on iceshanty!...... I got my mind set on building a smitty sled. my only question I have for you guys is this... What's the best kind of screws you use to mount the wood to the skis itself? Is it possible of the skis to crack during that process? There's not many pictures of the underside of the skis.
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #871 on: Jan 01, 2014, 10:38 PM »
I pre-drilled mine, and used galvanized decking screws. I counter sunk them and filled the hole with epoxy leveled off wit a straight edge.   Slick as snot.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #872 on: Jan 02, 2014, 06:24 AM »
I pre-drilled mine, and used galvanized decking screws. I counter sunk them and filled the hole with epoxy leveled off wit a straight edge.   Slick as snot.

I did the same as KB.. With the exception of epoxy in the holes. Decking screws, predrilled and countersunk. Hard4Ice, There are tons of guys who listed their materials and would love to help you out. Good for you to ask questions!
And please post some pics if you make one. I myself have yet to try mine out. Hopefully real soon. Good luck!
It is what it is....

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #873 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:17 PM »
Corndog, I want to see pictures.  Did you use my wheel set up??? ;)

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #874 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:00 PM »
Corndog, I want to see pictures.  Did you use my wheel set up??? ;)

I didn't go with wheels, only because my favorite spots have close parking. I may add if necessary. I posted some pics earlier in this thread.. But here's a link..  ;D
http://s817.photobucket.com/user/EnFuegoUno/library/Mobile%20Uploads?sort=3&page=1
It is what it is....

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #875 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:28 PM »
Just built my "Smitty" tonight after purchasing some new gear.
Pulled it around out in the snow for a bit and it worked like a dream.
Thanks for all of your post and inspiration!

Few pictures of the project.

Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #876 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:43 AM »
That's a real nice set-up.....great pics. Your body will like you.......hope you put a LONG toe rope on it tied to the tips....that really helps alot too. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #877 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:47 AM »
Nice sled Joe!
It is what it is....

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #878 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Took it out today for the first time, worked like a charm! I could really tell once I had to pull it up the hill to the truck on how much weights I really had. Fits in the back of my jeep with no problem too!

Cheers!
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #879 on: Jan 04, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Took it out today for the first time, worked like a charm! I could really tell once I had to pull it up the hill to the truck on how much weights I really had. Fits in the back of my jeep with no problem too!

Cheers!

Sweet!
It is what it is....

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #880 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Now that there have been so many smitty sleds built, is there any right or wrong place to mount the risers on the ski's. I've read where it's better to mount to the back so the ski's will lift. Haven't heard any griping about the risers in the back. How are everyone's working out. I have everything to build a sled, just need the right location for the risers. Everyone's sled looks great, Smitty, thanks. If we meet I'm buying the first round.

Offline Sikaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's all about the angle of the dangle!!
« Reply #881 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:16 PM »
First , this is a great idea
I bought a clam Keni last year and it like pulling a volkswagon through any snow deeper than an inch.
I saw this thread and spent all Sumer hunting for skis
I've got my skis
Now
My questions are?
1 being that I will be placing a full clam flip over style shelter on top
Should I , use wood rails , or pipe/PVC ?
2 is there any benifit from having the rails set up high?
3 should I position most of my weight to the rear, to help keep the skis riding on top of the snow?
Thanks for any help

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #882 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:38 PM »
is there any right or wrong place to mount the risers on the ski's.

I decided to mount them about the same distance from the tips and from the tail end of my skis. I also added a rope to the tips of the skis to add lift to the front just in case. There are a bunch of sled made of all different materials. I used what I had.
Also, I suggest taking into account what you will be hauling. I have a one man flip and hand auger. Some use a power auger and placement of the risers might be crucial if you wish to mount a power auger to the rest or the side.
Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.
It is what it is....

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #883 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:52 PM »
My questions are?
--Should I , use wood rails , or pipe/PVC ?
3 should I position most of my weight to the rear, to help keep the skis riding on top of the snow?
Thanks for any help

Just my opinion.. I am not an engineer.. Lol

1) I used 2x12's scraps I already had. I have a one man flip, hand auger and maybe a small grill.
2) In doing some research, others like having higher rails for different reasons. I made mine 8"high. I did this mainly for when my flip over is on the sled I can still sit comfortably on the bench seat and my feet will be flat on the ice.
3) Weight distribution depends on a number of equipment related issues. Some have power augers or buckets mounted on the rear or even rack set ups. That extra weight can help in keeping the front of the sled up. I drilled a hole through the tip of each ski and passed the two ends of a length of rope through the holes, knotting the ends. I figure that will help me when I need to lift the front of the sled when loaded.

Hope I helped and that others chime in. Good luck and post some pics when your done!
It is what it is....

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #884 on: Jan 05, 2014, 03:05 PM »
My questions are?
Should I , use wood rails , or pipe/PVC ?
If you plan on just making a platform for your sled to sit on, I would use wooded rails and strap your clam to the platform. I chose a PVC frame for my build so that my Otter sled fits perfectly inside without the need to strap or bolt it on. (PVC = more material and less weight.
I approached this issue as the same as jacking up a truck for off-road use. If you get into a deep snow situation, the higher up = more ground clearance. 
I would suggest keeping your weight toward the center. Too far back and your skis want to rise up when you pull, too far forward and your diving into the snow.

Hope this helps, good luck on your build.

Cheers!
[/quote]
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline IceFishingNate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Otter XT650 Cabin. Vexilar FL-18. Jiffy
« Reply #885 on: Jan 05, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Finished my sled this weekend.  3 pics for ya! Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #886 on: Jan 05, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Nice Nate!
It is what it is....

Offline Savage Brewer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #887 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:38 PM »
So here is my question.
I either need 1 sled that is 44" wide by 60" long or two sleds 24" wide by 60" long.

Am I better off with one big sled and about 250 pounds of gear or two narrower ones with the weight split up?

I would thing that the two sleds pulled in tandem (like a train) would be easier to handle, and when I fish with 2 or more people we can split the load up (which means I am only pulling 125 pounds).

Thoughts on this? also has anyone had issues with making one almost 4 feet wide?

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #888 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:31 AM »
Savage.. Here's my opinion.
I believe a 40"wide X 60"long sled would work. I think if you already have the skis you could lay them down and see what you think. The beauty of the Smitty Sled is the portability, in my opinion. The fact that when broken down it can fir into the trunk of a car if you build it that way. Two sleds running in tandem I believe would be tougher depending on the terrain of course.
I hope I've helped and that other chime in. Good luck and post pictures!
It is what it is....

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #889 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:39 AM »
Great looking sled Nate.....you are really going to like it...I can guarantee that. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #890 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:57 AM »
So here is my question.
I either need 1 sled that is 44" wide by 60" long or two sleds 24" wide by 60" long.

Am I better off with one big sled and about 250 pounds of gear or two narrower ones with the weight split up?

I would thing that the two sleds pulled in tandem (like a train) would be easier to handle, and when I fish with 2 or more people we can split the load up (which means I am only pulling 125 pounds).

Thoughts on this? also has anyone had issues with making one almost 4 feet wide?

1st off......the original "smitty sled" wasn't designed for 250 lbs of gear......however....I think you will be better off with one sled..... if pulling whole load yourself or ATV......with 2 sleds IMO you will have another set of skis.....which will add twice as much drag sort of speak.......also, with 2 sleds, it will be harder turning....However.... ..yes it will pull easier if the load is split up and your buddy can pull the another one.......that's a no brainer....250lbs. is a whole lot of weight......and it won't be easy pulling by hand that no matter what you do......ATV or snowmobile  might be your answer.......let us know what you decide. Thanks.  Smitty

Offline Doubleclutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #891 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:30 AM »
Well i decided I need to make one!! Dragged my pop up out on Conneaut Lake and it plowed snow the hole way! What a work out!
Going to start building ASAP!!

Check my Face Book Group Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/258599070959819/

Offline Allen1203

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hunter!
« Reply #892 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:10 AM »
So here is my question.

I would go single, but I would really look hard to find a wider set of skis click here for examples. They would add flotation of your heavier load. Personally I might look into a pair of longer snowboards if my load was that heavy.
Levi

Offline ToothTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #893 on: Jan 06, 2014, 04:03 PM »
Has anyone done this for their shappell fx200 very interested in the best route here.

Offline Savage Brewer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #894 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Well lets see here:
Clam JM 5000 Thermal hub     50 pounds
2.5HP Auger                            25 pounds
Spud bar                                 15 pounds
Mr Buddy heater and tank      15 pounds
Flasher and battery   (x2)       25 pounds
Underwater Camera               15 pounds
tackle, rods, tip-ups ... ...        40 pounds
misc gear and bait                  25 pounds

That puts me at 210 pounds of equipment, it really doesnt take long to add up.

Going to have to think this one over a bit.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #895 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:20 PM »
That puts me at 210 pounds of equipment, it really doesnt take long to add up.
Going to have to think this one over a bit.

I used 2x12's and I was able to sit in my one man flip without any issues. Oh, I weigh 225lb, so I can safely say wood would work!
It is what it is....

Offline jay2k

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #896 on: Jan 07, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Built a "smitty" this past weekend.  Have yet to test on ice, but did pull it threw 6 inches of wet snow in my yard.  WOW!!  I've been pulling my 1 man scout for 15 years in deep snow and slush.  What a pain.  No more!!  I might take the width down a bit (right now its 36") but other than that I'm happy.  Its a very simple build and the possibilities are endless.  The hardest part was getting the hardware off the skis.  What a great idea!  Thanks Smitty.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #897 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:34 PM »
   The hardest part was getting the hardware off the skis.  What a great idea!  Thanks Smitty.

After trying to unscrew the mounts off the down hills I used to make my Smitty, I decided to grind the screws off. The heat from grinding loosened up the screws so I could unscrew them with ease

Offline icerink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #898 on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:52 PM »
Stopped by the local ski shop today and the owner gave me two pair of downhill ski's. I'll be starting my first sled in the next couple of days.

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #899 on: Jan 09, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Just built my "Smitty" tonight after purchasing some new gear.
Pulled it around out in the snow for a bit and it worked like a dream.
Thanks for all of your post and inspiration!

Few pictures of the project.

(Image removed from quote.)

Well I'll be Damned!!! A propane propulsion system on a smitty sled! Must be a first!  :P
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.