Author Topic: opinions wanted  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
opinions wanted
« on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:35 PM »
I've been going to Valentine once or twice a year now for quite a few years, and the last couple of years it seems the fishing has been slower than I'd like. As the guys and I are planning our trip this year a couple of us have  shown some interest in maybe heading to Webster/Brooking area. None of us have fished there before so we are a little skeptical. Just wondering what some of you that have been up that way though. Is the fishing really that great up there? What lakes would you suggest, do I need a guide or can find fish relatively easy, do I need a 4wheeler? Thanks for all your input in advance.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Call this guy , Ryan 605-690-5491 . He has 2 bait shops , rents rooms , heated shacks and also guides . He is a great guy and honest and is from the Brookings area

Offline FISHNUT1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:10 PM »
ive never ice fished up there but if its anything close to the open water fishing you will not be disappointed....

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Thanks rags, I'll do that

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2014, 01:48 AM »
Do you mean Merritt or the Refuge lakes when you say Valentine?? I havent done much on the refuge lakes the last few years as it seems the fishing has gone downhill, but i do get up and fish Merritt and have not been disappointed, download the navionics app on you phone and use that to fish merritt, pick flats that narrow to drops or points going into deep water, there is some structure marked on the map. Fishing the trees up on the Snake Arm has done well for me. I think Merritt is a bit underrated for ice fishing, if a guy gets to moving around and trying different things the fishing is awesome, seems like i dont see too many guys hit the snake arm for some reason, most of the population i see is back in the Boardman, not sure if the arm/main lake seems daunting for some people to try to fish but its well worth it.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:55 AM »
  I agree with Sandhillsguy on all points.  The Refuge has been kinda spotty the last couple of years.  Merritt has been producing some excellent panfishing along with a mixed bag of other species including catfish, a few walleyes, and some pretty darn nice pike up to 44" on tip-ups.  The large surface area and deep water column can be rather daunting (we commonly fish crappies and perch in 30-40 FOW) to those used to targeting shallow (less than 8 FOW) sandhills lakes.  A GPS with background map and a decent sonar are a big help.  Check the forum for reports by me and others or you can call the shop or stop in for ice and fishing reports  Spool on some extra line and come up to give it a try once our ice firms up, hopefully by the weekend.

Offline suony5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:49 AM »
I have to agree with merritt and sandhill guy.  I travel up there when I can.  I used to travel farther  up into North Dakota and fish Devils and other lakes South of there.  I have come to the point that I understand that I can do just as good here in the state as I can in another state and also keep the money I am spending in the state.  Now walleyes are a little different, if you want to target just walleyes, head north of the border.  Don't get me wrong, you can catch wallleyes here and some jim dandy ones at that.  We always seem to find a few in the 28" range and a few eaters also, but have never had 40 and 50 fish days like they do up north when it is on like donkey kong.  If it is perch you are after due your research, call the State goverment biologist!!  They will tell you what is hot and what is not!   If you want some other info pm some guys on the forum.  We icefisherman are a special breed of people and in general kind and helpful!!  Good luck on the ice!!!

Offline BORGMANN5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:39 PM »
We make the trip to valentine every year, although I do agree that is much slower than it used to be, we usually do surprisingly well for Northerns.  A lot of days we catch our limits (between 4 of us) and that's with throwing a few back that are over the 28" size limit, and have had good success on panfish.  I am in the same boat as FISH2LIVE for South Dakota since none of us have ever been up there and were thinking about making the trip up to Webster this year if the ice isn't good at the refuge or just a different trip.

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:52 PM »
We usually hit the refuge, last year was the first time I've ever fished Merritt only fished it Sat evening an Sunday morning before heading home.there was a pretty nasty front that moved through sat night. We fished off of beeds following the advice form the Trading Post. Found gills an small perch and had one hook up on a bigger fish on a jig pole but lost it, most likely a pike. You are correct about the size and depth of the lake being a little overwhelming.  If I was to be headed the way the weekend of January 16 do you think it would be a safe bet that the ice would be plenty on the safe side. Also is it almost a necessity to have a for wheeler to get to the GOOD spots

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:02 AM »
I felt the deep water was a bit daunting there, but luckily i ran into a guy on the road back to the snake arm and he offered the chance to tag along with him, went clear back into the arm in 20-25 FOW in the trees and around the old river channel, the trees are easy to find back there as you can see the tops of them in or just below the ice, sat down and caught several decent crappie and perch while that same guy sat only 20ft away and was pulling 10lb plus cats through the ice using the same setup i was, all in all it was a great day, like i say my best suggestion is to get some sort of lake map showing contours and drill lots of holes along with picking up some advice from guys that may already be there, i think the walleye fishing could be good too in the early am and evening through the night there. I plan on getting up a few times this year pending good ice on the lake.

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:22 AM »
I would say almost definitely but the 16th boardmans would be ok, main lake and snake arm are up in the air pending temps, wind and snow cover. And yes an atv is a must up there, makes trekking around 10x easier, but back to our weather make sure that you stop and check ice conditions frequently, its easy to have 15" for 100 yards but run into an spot the wind cut open and refroze leaving only a couple inches, last year we were blessed with a very comfortable 18" that made travel alot more comfortable.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:45 AM »
While safe ice in January is probable, it is Nebraska and our weather is predictably unpredictable.  Concerning ATV's:  Though I have one I use for camp chores, I have not taken it on the ice.  There are plenty of "walking distance" spots in Boardman creek where I usually fish.  Some also in the Snake, though it could be a longer walk.  Don't feel excluded if you don't have wheels.

Pressure ridges, some visible, some not apparent, happen. Wind and waterfowl can keep some water open longer, leaving thin ice next to safe.  Until you know the route is safe travel in well spaced groups and have safety equipment handy.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:40 PM »
You don't fish with the Moock's from Eagle do you? 

The past couple years have been slow for us there as well, but usually after a few down years, there will be a boom.

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:10 PM »
I do know the Moock's very well but have not been up with them, talked about it just never worked out.

I do have the Navonics app on my phone, and at least half of our group have vex's so I'm confident we can find fish. Guess I well come down to ice conditions

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:52 PM »
I do know the Moock's very well but have not been up with them, talked about it just never worked out.

I do have the Navonics app on my phone, and at least half of our group have vex's so I'm confident we can find fish. Guess I well come down to ice conditions

They are my cousins.

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:08 PM »
I live a block from Tommy, same street.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.