Author Topic: How well do smitty sleds Pull?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
How well do smitty sleds Pull?
« on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:01 PM »
I built one for my clam voyager.

I only gave it 2x4 risers and tried to get the skis as straight as possible.

How will will it pull behind a snowmobile?

I imagine it will do great straight, but how about on corners? Is there any thing I can do to help it corner?
Do your smitties have to be "pulled" through the corners?
Mabey the hitch design really helps there?   I am building the hitch tommorrow.
This is for the 20 mile snomowbile trip.

THanks for the help??

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How well do smitty sleds Pull?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:06 PM »
I built mine this year and just pull it by hand and the corners are wide and long.   I built it well but not for being pulled behind a snowmobile.  A twenty mile trip would probably trash my wood sled.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:06 PM »
for a 20 mile trip I would make and use a hitch. 
Don

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:08 AM »
You build it good it should do fine as long as you don't go 60 mph. I pulled a shappel 4000 behind my four wheeler, It has the fold down plastic skis. It did fine as long as I stayed about 30mph  but I had to watch it. It would kick from side to side on slick ice.  I also read on some of the other smitty sled builders they made the back narrower than the front to make it go straight.
Gator Nation

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:22 AM »
How tall are the risers? I pulled mine by machine 10 miles< could have gone 20 but as high as my risers are(9" for deeper snow) it wanted to kick the skis in on corners. I need a cross member from ski to ski to keep them apart. I think if yours is lower to the ground that would be a non-issue. It would just be less stress on the whole sled. It cornered fine though, really just trailed my sled with that hitch :tipup:

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:19 AM »
I like hooking the hitch to the skis, I can see how that helps!!

I am pushing the idea of making front skis pivot and the rear 2 steady, but havent done anything yet.

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:02 AM »
The whole rig will turn fine. It tows so easily behind the snow machine you'll keep looking back to see if it's still there. I've never had an issue turning it unless I was pulling it by hand. You do need a solid tow bar though or it'll run intio the back of your machine.. I've had mine doing 50 just testing it out @).. Only real problems I've had is wearing the skiis down crossing roads and in rough ice ice conditions I cracked a ski tip.. The skiis are designed to flex along their length and by fixing the frame to them you create a high stress area in a thin part of the ski. I'll post a pic of my tow bar later.. I used metal conduit and squished the ends in the vice/hammered them to make them flat. Make sure to fix the tow bar to the frame..the skiis are best set straight and let them flex.

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:09 AM »
Any sled will pull much better after you give the bottom a good, liberal spraying with silicone spray! Good luck! :icefish:DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.