The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Erie Ramps  (Read 6724 times)

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Erie Ramps
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:35 PM »
Went out of Crane yesterday, ice was fine, 18" at least!!
where is crane located

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:38 PM »
Crane creek state park

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:43 PM »
Crane creek state park
how far out to the fishing grounds

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:44 PM »
They were scattered out from 1/2 mile to as far as you wanted to go, big mess of guys about 3-4 miles out!!

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:53 PM »
Any breast bay reports

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:37 PM »
Bump...what are we thinking boys and girls?
one of my buddys just backed out

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:53 PM »
I'm ready anytime for Erie!! I'm going out here in the bay tomorrow so lets get this thing going lol.
Charles E.

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:56 PM »
I'm ready anytime for Erie!! I'm going out here in the bay tomorrow so lets get this thing going lol.
we need to find a safe spot to go out of thats not in ohio. And all agree on it. Im ready but like i said its going to be the blind leading the blind

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:16 PM »
And who's going to be brave enough to take the lead lol
we need to find a safe spot to go out of thats not in ohio. And all agree on it. Im ready but like i said its going to be the blind leading the blind
Charles E.

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Gotta a guy talking about cranes creek in ohio. $7 per day for license and 9 miles out. Theyre are some guys already going there that know whats going on

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #40 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:34 PM »
That doesn't sound bad at all. Now if the guys want help us out and show the way?
Gotta a guy talking about cranes creek in ohio. $7 per day for license and 9 miles out. Theyre are some guys already going there that know whats going on
Charles E.

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:05 PM »
Supposed to be getting some GPS Coordinates too

Offline afishhawk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 02, 2015, 09:52 PM »

If you guys show up at Crane Creek around 6:00 am to 7:00 am with your own transportation and all gear ready to go there will be many others heading out to the regular areas and it's easy to just follow the crowd out.
Make sure you have a compass for backup and extra batteries or charge systems for phones if you intend on using cells for gps. Very poor cell service on the western basin. Download the Navionics app,  Phones will search for signal a lot and die before the end of the day. Handheld gps is important to have for main navigation. It is very easy to get turned around out there with fog or white outs and once your out there 3 to 6 miles the shore all looks the same so don't think you can pic a landmark and depend on that for guidance. I seen visibility go from 5 miles to 500 feet in ten minutes last weekend when the ice fog hit.
There are other sites you should go to for info on Lake Erie like walleye.com or OhioGamefish.com. There are tons of experienced sportsman on there that offer a wealth of information.
I would recommend you have someone with you that knows the ropes on Erie if this your first time out.
With the warm weather near and south winds there's not much time left for Erie so be extremely careful !

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #43 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:03 PM »
Thank you for the help/info and taking the time to post this. I have the navionics on my phone but it's always a good idea to have a handheld gps. I'll look on the other sites for more info also

Thanks again

If you guys show up at Crane Creek around 6:00 am to 7:00 am with your own transportation and all gear ready to go there will be many others heading out to the regular areas and it's easy to just follow the crowd out.
Make sure you have a compass for backup and extra batteries or charge systems for phones if you intend on using cells for gps. Very poor cell service on the western basin. Download the Navionics app,  Phones will search for signal a lot and die before the end of the day. Handheld gps is important to have for main navigation. It is very easy to get turned around out there with fog or white outs and once your out there 3 to 6 miles the shore all looks the same so don't think you can pic a landmark and depend on that for guidance. I seen visibility go from 5 miles to 500 feet in ten minutes last weekend when the ice fog hit.
There are other sites you should go to for info on Lake Erie like walleye.com or OhioGamefish.com. There are tons of experienced sportsman on there that offer a wealth of information.
I would recommend you have someone with you that knows the ropes on Erie if this your first time out.
Charles E.

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:55 AM »
I do not have a gps only navionics on my phone

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2015, 10:12 AM »
I got gps locations for 6 miles out. Gonna need some kind of transportation. I guess it's pretty rough. Dont think someone could do a sled ride

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2015, 01:10 PM »
I got gps locations for 6 miles out. Gonna need some kind of transportation. I guess it's pretty rough. Dont think someone could do a sled ride
             You'll kill yourself riding a sled 6 miles out, unless you are going 5 mph, then you'll be off work for a week!!  Recovering!!

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #47 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:43 PM »
I just went out today in the bay about 3/4 of a mile and It was rough with just me on the quad lol

I had a blast tho, I just got setup before the storm hit and I was warm and comfy. I almost wanted to take a nap out there listening to the freezing rain bounce of the shanty ;D
Charles E.

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:29 PM »
6 miles in a sled...no ways Josè.  Looks like I may be walking around on the sag river this weekend!  Next year I will have a snowmobile down here...
Flag up!

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:11 PM »
Going out of camp perry sat morning at 6:00. Its in ohio. You can get a daily license for $7. Meeting at a gas station of US-2. More info to come

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #50 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:18 PM »
What gas station? Wouldn't mind following you guys out if its ok? But isn't it a military base? 
Going out of camp perry sat morning at 6:00. Its in ohio. You can get a daily license for $7. Meeting at a gas station of US-2. More info to come
Charles E.

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 05, 2015, 12:50 AM »
What gas station? Wouldn't mind following you guys out if its ok? But isn't it a military base?
im getting more info on gas station for ya. And where we are launching from. This is all new to me. My buddy has all the info.

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #52 on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:15 AM »
Ok sounds good Thanks
im getting more info on gas station for ya. And where we are launching from. This is all new to me. My buddy has all the info.
Charles E.

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:14 PM »
Ok sounds good Thanks
sent you a PM

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #54 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:41 PM »
Thanks again and good talking to you
sent you a PM
Charles E.

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #55 on: Mar 08, 2015, 11:59 AM »
What a blast out there. I couldn't believe how many people was out there on the lake. It looked like big city's everywhere you looked lol. For the first time going all I can say is WOW!! I defiantly will be going back!!

Charles E.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Mar 08, 2015, 01:30 PM »
What a blast out there. I couldn't believe how many people was out there on the lake. It looked like big city's everywhere you looked lol. For the first time going all I can say is WOW!! I defiantly will be going back!!
                      Did you catch any??

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 08, 2015, 01:32 PM »
Most importantly did you catch any fish?
Flag up!

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Mar 08, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Bite was slow for us. We got 4. Out of 2 of us. Lots of lookers on the vex. Just not many takers. Unfortunately 08 megacab (Charles) and i didnt get to meet up. We were back and forth between phone calls. And it was so busy out there it would have been luck to run into each other.  But still had a good time

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 08, 2015, 03:27 PM »
And half way through the day my auger broke. So we could move to much after that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.