The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Snow on Cass County Lakes?  (Read 946 times)

Offline 1000mousies

• IceShanty Rookie
Snow on Cass County Lakes?
« on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:49 PM »
How much snow is on Saddlebag in Cass County?

Offline Alphie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd rather be fishing than what I'm doing.
Re: Snow on Cass County Lakes?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:38 PM »
It seems like someone should know for sure how much snow is on it.  I haven't been out there, but based on the amount of snow on almost any other lake in the area I would guess that there's probably quite a bit.  I was out on a lake near there yesterday and there was about 8-12 inches of snow, but it didn't keep me from fishing.  It will take a bit more effort to walk, but the ice was still O.K. on the lake I was on which is about 5-7 miles from Saddlebag.  Hope this helps a little.
I only ice fish because the water's hard.

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:27 AM »
Was out there Saturday.  There is definately some snow out there.  That isn't the problem as much as the slush underneath it.

Offline SMALMTH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:07 AM »
Was out yesterday on a lake near by and some of the drifts were well over my knees. The slush under the snow really makes walking and standing difficult. Also, when you drill a hole you make your own mini lake. Had to set my Vex on a bucket to keep it out of the water!
It's supposed to get pretty cold this week, so it might take care of itself. Just plan a little extra time for walking and make sure that you have waterproof boots.

Offline jigemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:03 PM »
Just hook up a huge kite to your sled and sail right to your spot.  Then take about 10 quarter sticks of dynamite to blow some holes in the ice and start fishing.  save 1 stick of dynamite to trade for a ride back to your truck after you get your limit.

Offline 1000mousies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:57 PM »
Cold tonight, but walk wasn't bad.  Would have been nice if Mr. 4 Wheeler would have given me a ride back though!  Quit watching Cailou on Sprout!

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:24 PM »
On some channels in Cass County lakes there are drifts up to 2 feet.  Most lakes got about 8-12 inches of snow with plenty of slush.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.