Author Topic: Vexilar FL-8 vs FLX-28  (Read 5559 times)

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar FL-8 vs FLX-28
« on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:13 AM »
I fish mostly Bluegill/Crappie in less than 20 fow. Now using an FL-8. Occasionally target Perch & Walleye & deeper water.
Is going from a FL-8 to a FLX-28 going to help find/ catch more?
Is the weed mode, low power & zoom capabilities going to increase productivity enough for the increase in cost?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Vexilar FL-8 vs FLX-28
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:34 AM »
Yes..low power good for shallow..and weeds...zoom good for bottom hugging fish.The FL18 will do what you need..the FLX 28 will also give that and skme color palate optikns and weed mode.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:34 AM »
Yes..low power good for shallow..and weeds...zoom good for bottom hugging fish.The FL18 will do what you need..the FLX 28 will also give that and skme color palate optikns and weed mode.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Lonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:54 AM »
Wow  got up this morning and saw your post  I just finished what you are doing now.   I've use my FL 8  for many years. And it still runs great! But decided it was time for upgrade.   I ordered the 28  yesterday. And now  I'm hoping I like it as well as the old FL8.   Seems to be a lot of bells and whistle's on the 28. 
Good luck on your research.  Lots of decisions on the new ones.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:00 AM »
When the flx units came out i did a lot of research on them. Decided to stick with my FL-18.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Give the FL-20 a good look as well if you tend to normally fish shallow for panfish. It was specifically designed for shallow water and weed beds.  :tipup:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:42 PM »
I don't know about catching more, but its brushless and silent.different color/palletes are more vibrant and easily seen in direct sunlight.more interference rejection.list goes on..way better machine than the fl8.the flx20 is nice too.

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback. The local Scheels had the FLX-28 Ultra Pack for a very good, end of season price. So, I bit the bullet.
Took it out today. I was lucky & got into a bunch of Crappies, so was able to get familiar with it. I really like the bottom zoom!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:38 PM »
the FLX 28 is the only flasher I will run. if there wasn't the 28 I would then run the FLX 20 as my main flasher. currently have 2 FLX 28's and will be adding 3 more to my equipment line up next season. I like to have extra flashers for people that come fishing with me and don't have their own flasher. only thing I don't care for is the pro view transducer so I put 12 degree transducers on all of mine.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:55 AM »
the FLX 28 is the only flasher I will run. if there wasn't the 28 I would then run the FLX 20 as my main flasher. currently have 2 FLX 28's and will be adding 3 more to my equipment line up next season. I like to have extra flashers for people that come fishing with me and don't have their own flasher. only thing I don't care for is the pro view transducer so I put 12 degree transducers on all of mine.

What is the advantage of running the 12 degree transducer over the Pro View?

Matt

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2019, 12:56 AM »
I just don't care for the pro view and the 12 is a good all around middle of the road choice.

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:47 AM »
I just don't care for the pro view and the 12 is a good all around middle of the road choice.

Thanks for the reply, do you notice a difference between the Pro View and the 12 degree?
I hate to keep pushing the issue but is it a sharper return with the 12? I'm debating if I want to try a 12 degree just looking for a little more info

Thanks for your time 
Matt

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:56 AM »
The flx28 was designed around the proview.its a 9 up to almost 40 degree ducer.so its a 12 too.if you fish under 10ft alot the proview may be a tad too powerful .i however have no problems with it.

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2019, 09:56 AM »
The flx28 was designed around the proview.its a 9 up to almost 40 degree ducer.so its a 12 too.if you fish under 10ft alot the proview may be a tad too powerful .i however have no problems with it.

Thanks that's the info I'm looking for

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2019, 01:32 PM »
I mainly was having trouble seeing my jig. turning up the gain just put too much stuff on the screen and even at 0 I still had issue with not seeing it at times. this was fishing mainly in 20 to 30 feet of water.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:33 PM »
Dang, Monticatgeek, you're too nice if you are providing electronics for your non electronic owning fishing friends. LOL. Do you supply the beer as well? Maybe I need to get some new fishing buddies. Kidding, I have my own electronics and normally have plenty of beer at arms length as well. 

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:35 PM »
Dang, Monticatgeek, you're too nice if you are providing electronics for your non electronic owning fishing friends. LOL. Do you supply the beer as well? Maybe I need to get some new fishing buddies. Kidding, I have my own electronics and normally have plenty of beer at arms length as well.

it is not only for people I take fishing with me. I use them at the kids events that I help with. also toying with the idea of doing some guiding just haven't pulled the trigger on it as I am afraid it might take the fun out of fishing with the constant pressure to find good fish. for now I kind of do it by word of mouth so to speak. I am happy to take some one out if it fits in my schedule and the weather isn't  like that polar vortex we had earlier this year. my goal is to find fish but up front I say I can't always promise to find them but will try my hardest doing so.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:10 PM »
  What is the advantage of running the 12 degree transducer over the Pro View?

Matt

wish I could of found this sooner but here it is. this explains the different transducers. they do talk about the tri beam in this video but it is no longer made.

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2019, 05:44 AM »

wish I could of found this sooner but here it is. this explains the different transducers. they do talk about the tri beam in this video but it is no longer made.

Thanks for taking the time to search and post this video, very informative, lots of info I didn't know

Thanks again Matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.